mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Clearwater/St. Pete riders

Just looking to see who rides and is from the Clearwater/St.Pete area. I live Clearwater and do mostly pavement riding. I want to start going to some trails, but would prefer to go with someone else as opposed to myself. I haven't been on any trails in years, so I think it woudl be safer to go with someone that knows what they are doing. I don't have any friends that are in to riding, so it just me.
    I am 30 years old, live in Largo. I have a 2 year old daughter and a fiance.

Bug

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hey Bug and welcome,
    We have some of the best trails in Florida in this area. Join in on a few of the SWAMP Club rides and learn where they are and meet others to ride with. We have over 125 miles of off road trails within an hour of the St. Pete/Clearwater area from relatively easy flat (with roots) to more difficult trails built on old phosphate mining land that will challenge even the more experienced rider.
    Check out swampclub dot org for weekly group rides and trail maintenance days. Working on the very trails that you ride gives you a new perspective on the trail systems and what it takes to have some of the best riding opportunities available to enjoy and keep open.
    Hope to see ya' on the trails.

Garry

Quote Originally Posted by bug08
    Just looking to see who rides and is from the Clearwater/St.Pete area. I live Clearwater and do mostly pavement riding. I want to start going to some trails, but would prefer to go with someone else as opposed to myself. I haven't been on any trails in years, so I think it woudl be safer to go with someone that knows what they are doing. I don't have any friends that are in to riding, so it just me.

Bug

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I live in Safety Harbor.Just got a bike so I can get back into riding,its been 15yrs .Joined Swamp a few days ago and plan on going on their guided tours and a few work days,hopefully soon.

I hate that name.
    What part of Safety Harbor? Do you know about the secret trails?
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss
    What part of Safety Harbor? Do you know about the secret trails?
    I'm up by Philleppe Park. What trails?

Training for vacation
    Lemme in on the secret trails too.

Also i call BS on 125 miles of trails within 1 hour; more like 1.5-2 hours.

I hate that name.
    The wooded area behind Marshall Street park, across the ditch, had some trails in it, pretty much foot trails, but with a little work could be rideable. I never bothered due to the relative legal issues, ie trespassing. Its a small sliver of land running along the powerlines from 9th Ave/train tracks to ?, probably gets close to 1st Ave behind the middle school. Also, although I've never explored it, the big church off of McMullen Booth, ironically its the other end of Marshall that doesn't connect, has some woods with a disc golf course layed out. More trespass. When I lived in the Harbor, I had a nice urban xc loop (sidewalks and paved trails) that I would do going around the city and over into Clearwater a bit on the east-west trail, about 14 miles. There are actually a few hills to be had in that area. The climb on the trail from Bayshore to the top of the bridge over McMullen Booth has to be at least half a mile and is somewhat gradual with a flat spot in the middle. Hell, you can a get workout just riding around Phillippe Park, if you know where to look. I still ride around town sometimes after work. Hit me up if you want a tour of where to go.

I lived on the south side off of 590 near McMullen Booth for a few years, but I've been delivering mail in SH for 14 years, so I know the town pretty well.

When I lived over there I could get to any of the local trails in an hour or less.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Been riding aroung Philleppe Park and around town to get a workout.There are some foot paths in the park that I have found plus a short path by the water.
    I also talked with a guy at Flying Fish bikes on Race Track road and he said that you can ride the horse trails on S. Mobley Rd off of Race Track .You have to call the # on the sign so the ranger knows you are there.I haven't tried it yet but will soon.Those trails aren't really used anymore and there are a few big dirt piles there to play on.

I hate that name.
    Sometime last year I called the park people about the horse trails on S. Mobley and they told me that bikes were no longer allowed.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM

Listen!

Quote Originally Posted by bug08

Bug
    Hey bug, We have a nice group of Pinellas riders, Im in Tarpon and have people from Holiday, Dunedin all the way down to Seminole who all ride together for fun and also like to race in Florida Events.

Check out our website so you can get an idea on all the Awesome Trails that we have around here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gte819s
    Lemme in on the secret trails too.

Also i call BS on 125 miles of trails within 1 hour; more like 1.5-2 hours.
    Guess it depends on where you access the interstate from and traffic flow. :-)