mtbr member

Christmas trip to Santos

Planning a few days at Santos from Chattanooga in late December. What's the normal weather at time of year, and recommendations for fairly inexpensive motels in the area? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    We hardly ever have a cold Christmas. I have been swimming before on Christmas day but sometimes its on the cooler side. Hard to say what it will be like. I live in Orlando so I can't help on hotel recommendations. But have fun! The weather should be great for riding either way!

mtbr member
    It all depends on cold fronts moving through the area. It can be 70 or 80 one day, then 30 for a few days after the front. Santos has a nice camp site if you like camping.

Here's the Ocala Mountain Bike website: http://omba.org/index.htm

For motels, post the question on their Facebook page and you'll get help.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.

Hi There!
    I stayed at this place when I was up there in July, nice place but town wasn't the greatest.

Hotel in Ocala, FL - Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Silver Springs-Ocala
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Weather could be cold . Prepare for 30-40 but you may get 50-60. Best bet is to check long range forcast a few days before arrival.

As far as motels. Well we have everything from the Hilton to absolute **** holes. I'd recommend a search. What would you like to spend per night? I can get you some more info. I live local.

Just PM me. Also are you driving down? Have you ever been to San Felasco in Alachua (about 1 hr north of Santos)?

If not it's a nice day trip. Absolutely pristine. Best way to compare is that at Santos if you see a deer it's usually the tail as they run off whereas at San Felasco I have many times come across deer on the trail and they just stand their ground and give me the "what are you doing here " look.

Any thing else just give me a shout.

J

mtbr member
    Yep, driving down on a Friday (8.5 hrs). Hope to get a few hours in that evening and ride Saturday/Sunday. Would like to keep it under $75 a night. A few guys with low lodging standards anyway. We're accustomed to deer and bear on the trail up here. Thanks for the commendation

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've stayed here a bunch of times. It's nine miles from the main trailhead. Right off I-75 but a little south for you. It's only 4 miles from the 49 Ave trailhead, some of the best trails. Nothing fancy for restaurants but has a Cracker Barrel, Sonny's BBQ, and a small pizza place across the street. All a couple 100 yards away. Right in front of the Big Daddy Don Garlitts museum. Stop at one of the Florida rest stops and pick up some coupon books to save some bucks.
    Sleep Inn Ocala Discount Rooms and Rates | HotelCoupons.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OffCamber View Post
    I've stayed here a bunch of times. It's nine miles from the main trailhead. Right off I-75 but a little south for you. It's only 4 miles from the 49 Ave trailhead, some of the best trails. Nothing fancy for restaurants but has a Cracker Barrel, Sonny's BBQ, and a small pizza place across the street. All a couple 100 yards away. Right in front of the Big Daddy Don Garlitts museum. Stop at one of the Florida rest stops and pick up some coupon books to save some bucks.
    Sleep Inn Ocala Discount Rooms and Rates | HotelCoupons.com

Good choice. Yes, just down the road from 49th Ave. which has Nayl's trail. Or go east from 49th ave to Christmas section and across landbridge.

Here is a helpful map:

http://omba.org/maps/spider2b-epic.gif

OMBA.org has lots of maps and good info

mtbr member
    I've never stayed here but know someone that has. It's fairly close to the Santos trailhead.... I'd guess 3 miles. It's no 5-Star hotel, but a buddy said it was the nicest one in that general area.

Silver Princess Motel (Ocala, FL) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Jackalope Hunter
    The Silver Princess is probably one of a few places in Ocala that you'll find for less than $75 a night unless you camp, that said, its kinda nasty. In a pinch it'll do (I've stayed there with riding buddies but wouldn't bring my family there.) Just my $0.02
    B Team represent

OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    There is a Hampton Inn right off of I-75 . It's a a bit more expensive than $75. I think close to $90 but it's very clean. Like the above suggestion for the Sleep Inn it is just a couple of miles from the 49th Ave trailhead. Maybe 15 minutes from main trailhead.

Yes budget and all but it's a vacation.
    One thing I would avoid are the numerous little motels on Pine Ave (441). They are inexpensive but some can be a bit nasty and yes even in Ocala we have issues with crackhead whores who frequent these motels. Just check with Ocala P.D.

I'd say stay at a well known "chain" hotel.

Pay a bit more but be safe and comfortable.