mtbr member

Chief Ladiga Rail Trail

I am thinking of riding the Chief Ladiga/Silver Comet rail trail from Weaver AL to metro Atlanta. Should I take a mtb or a cross bike? I have a cross bike with road tires on it but could easily change to true cross tires. Has anyone rode it and if so, what did you ride? What tires did you use?

n3rd
    A road bike... It's entirely paved. My brother and I rode it this October.

http://flickr.com/photos/cartecs/set...7607682272753/

Moonite
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cartecs3
    A road bike... It's entirely paved. My brother and I rode it this October.

http://flickr.com/photos/cartecs/set...7607682272753/
    Yeah, it's like an interstate for bikes.

Go to the path foundation website.. you can buy a guidebook for the GA part. There's info on the AL part on the intarwebs if you search. I think it's on jacksonville state's website.

You can do it with just 2 water bottles and whatever food you need. There's plenty of places to refill your bottles along the way.

n3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by jo8243
    Yeah, it's like an interstate for bikes.

Go to the path foundation website.. you can buy a guidebook for the GA part. There's info on the AL part on the intarwebs if you search. I think it's on jacksonville state's website.

You can do it with just 2 water bottles and whatever food you need. There's plenty of places to refill your bottles along the way.
    Yeah we carried panniers with a whole bunch of shiat in them which turned out to be a huge mistake as you dont need anything you wouldnt normally carry on a ride other than a change of clothes if you plan to stay overnight.

Horses and Bikes, Oh My!
    Quote Originally Posted by taterbug
    I am thinking of riding the Chief Ladiga/Silver Comet rail trail from Weaver AL to metro Atlanta. Should I take a mtb or a cross bike? I have a cross bike with road tires on it but could easily change to true cross tires. Has anyone rode it and if so, what did you ride? What tires did you use?
    I've ridden a good portion of the Chief Ladiga trail and all of the Comet (man, many times). Definitely a road bike or your cross bike with road tires. About the biggest obstacle you will encounter is a small pothole, small stick, or snake laying across the trail sunning itself. I always ride it on my road bike w/23 mm tires.