noob
    Apr 2012

Chattanooga TN and then Asheville NC camping/trail suggestions

My wife and I are go with the flow kind of people and will be leaving in the am for a trip. The plan is Chattanooga TN Saturday and Sunday and then head to Asheville NC Monday and Tuesday and head home Wednesday.

Here is what I am thinking:

Chattanooga: Camping at Racoon Mountain and riding Booker T. Washington park and Racoon mountain

Asheville- Bent Creek trail network. It seems there is a campsite there but I am open to suggestions.

Trail wise- I m looking for something fun and not too treacherous. She has only twice and that was last weekend. Not too boring but something to help with her confidence and endurance.

Camping wise- quiet wooded secluded and not to far from trails/civilization

All suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

ps Im on a 2012 superfly al and she is on a 2012 Marlin both 29ers

mtbr member
    Yes, there is camping at Bent Creek. The most popular campground in Pisgah is Davidson River. There is also one at the N. Mills area. There are also some free spots along some of the gravel roads, but with no facilities.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Awesome! I'm actually trying to plan a similar trip with the GF and I. I was considering staying at the "primitive" tent camp site at the Raccoon Campground and riding Raccoon Mountain for a couple days.

If you would, please let me know what you think!

noob
    Apr 2012
    The Raccoon mountain campsite was a decent place. Not really what we were looking for though. It wasn't very secluded or wooded. It was very crowded Saturday night. I would recommend reservations to be on the safe side. There were only like 2 sites available when we arrived. there are two bathrooms on site. One community with 3 showers in each men's and women's. the other is attached to the registration office and they were singles with showers in each. This campground with about a 15 min ride to the trails on raccoon mountain.

The trails were pretty awesome. They range in difficulty. As I said in the original post this was only the 3rd time my wife had ever ridden and she enjoyed it and it allowed her to gain more confidence and skill. The trails we rode were South rim, Laurel Point day one and a little bit of River gorge and then we rode east rim/switchyard connector, switch yard day 2. We ran out of daylight (started late) and didn't have time to ride small intestine but we could see parts of it from Switchyard and it looked like fun. I would recommend doing switch yard and small intestine. We parked both days at the East overlook but there is other parking closer to Switchyard and small intestine.

If you have any other questions let me know! Hope this helps and hope you have as good a time as we did!
    I am unable to post links and images so I would recommend a google search of raccoon mountain trail map to get a better idea of the layout of the trails. Make sure to get a recent one. The first one that popped up for me was from 2007 and was missing some stuff. I wish I would have had that before we went!

*EDIT
    after reviewing the trail map...we didn't ride south rim...it was electric avenue.
    Last edited by Backoffturkey; 10-10-2012 at 06:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the info. Despite the crowded campground it seems like it was a great trip!

While you were in town, were you able to stumble across any other viable campground options? I would be looking for something similar to yourself it sounds like (i.e. secluded, wooded, etc.). I was able to find a nice "backpackers" campsite option at Cloudland Canyon State Park. I think there were 12 camp sites scattered around a 2 mile loop, most secluded camping I've come across at a state park. However, this campground was by Trenton, GA which is about 30-35 mins away from downtown Chattanooga. Very nice option but ideally I'd prefer something that was within riding distance. Doesn't sound like that's available unless I want to stay at Raccoon Mt campground.

noob
    Apr 2012
    The only other one that I found was Harrison Bay, They were booked so we didn't check it out, It was on the east side of Chattanooga about the same distance from town as Raccoon Mountain. There are a few sites at raccoon mountain that are more wooded but still very close to other sites. When we got there, I asked if they knew of any places similar to what we were looking for and they recommended Cloudland Canyon. I tried to call the number listed online several times and no one answered and we didn't want to risk driving over there for nothing. As a plus..Raccoon mt. has a cave system that you can tour for some extra $$. It seemed interesting but we wanted to ride and see a little bit of the city so time didn't allow for it.

mtbr member

If you stay at Cloudland...

you will have accecss to the 5 points trail system 10 minutes form Cloudland. 20 Miles of trail alot closer than Raccoon. I say ride 5 Points and Raccoon. Head to Ocoee and camp and ride at Tanasi and then head to NC.
    Too wet to ride!