Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Chattanooga Area Trails KML?

If I move to Chattanooga I'm trying to determine a good place to live near trails. I want to be able to ride out my back door and have access to 15+ miles of trails, or better yet, be able to ride out the back door and have access to multiple trail networks.

Does anyone have a KML of all the trails surrounding Chattanooga? SORBA's site is kind of clunky and oldschool compared to say...Tallahassee MTB with an easy to use Google Map.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well, no KML, but if you want to live close to trails, your best bet will be a house in Lookout Valley. That puts you only a couple of miles from Raccoon, and they're bike friendly roads.

We have a lot of incredible trails in Chattanooga, but they are kind of spread out, and there are limited housing options near the majority of them.

Take downtown (central business district) as a starting point. Stringer's Ridge (opening soon) is maybe 2 miles, or 10 minutes by bike to the north. Raccoon is maybe 15 minutes from town in a car, but not an easy or terribly enjoyable ride on a mountain bike from town (traffic). Enterprise South is probably a solid 20 minutes in a car to the east / north-east from downtown, and certainly not a destination you'd want to set out for via bike. Five Points is on Lookout Mountain, in North Georgia, about 20-30 minutes (car) from town. It would be a nice ride on a road bike, but not something I'd personally want to tackle on a mountain bike.

Hope that helps. I'm sure others can fill in some blanks I've probably left...

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Which is the largest system closest to the city?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody View Post
    Which is the largest system closest to the city?
    Raccoon Mountain is the largest one which is close to the city, maybe around 20 miles of trail right now, with plans for more.

Lookout Mountain (Five Points) is larger, but is further away. The map I have shows 21 miles, but they are still building and I know more is coming online soon.

Enterprise South is about 10 miles of trail.

I believe Stringers Ridge (which is the closest to downtown) is around 8-10 miles of trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Maybe this will help:

There are additional great rides near the Ocoee (north-east of Chattanooga). Not sure how much total trail is there, but it is substantial. It's about 45 minutes from town. There is also White Oak Mountain in the Collegedale area, maybe 25 minutes from town.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I'm assuming the whole way to cross the river is to go across Rt 27? As in, you couldn't cross directly from Raccoon to Stringer Ridge?

Looks like you were in between Enterprise and Collegedale you could ride to both. I found a map of Collegedale area and it looks pretty intensive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm assuming the whole way to cross the river is to go across Rt 27? As in, you couldn't cross directly from Raccoon to Stringer Ridge?

Looks like you were in between Enterprise and Collegedale you could ride to both. I found a map of Collegedale area and it looks pretty intensive.
    The route from Raccoon to Stringer's would be to cross the base of Lookout Mountain and then ride all the way through town (Broad Street). Jump over to Market Street near the north end of downtown, cross the river on the Market Street Bridge. No bikes allowed on the interstate or 27 (nor would you want to be there on a bike).

Enterprise to Collegedale - never really thought about it, but I suppose it would be doable.

High Gravity Haze
    The Ocoee area trails total out around 50 miles of trail split between the Tanasi complex and Chilhowee. Throw in the fire roads and it may exceed 100 miles of potential riding.

The Collegedale trails (White Oak Mtn) are a lot of fun to ride and you can pick your poison on that system. Basic rule of thumb I've learned there is that the more elevation gain you tack on, the more difficult the climbs and terrain become. I'll probably never ride the double black diamond version of "Points unknown" ever again. I felt like I needed a trials bike, better skills, and a winch to make it through that section. It's pretty much a solid rock garden for what seems like 20 miles. Better riders clear it all the time, it's just not for me.

And yeah, as far as I know HWY 27 is your best bet for Stringers ridge however the trails are closed because of construction for now. http://www.outdoorchattanooga.com/2042.htm

High Gravity Haze
    Quote Originally Posted by architectx View Post
    Enterprise to Collegedale - never really thought about it, but I suppose it would be doable.
    Technically possible, but I don't know that I'd recommend it. They are probably 6 or so miles apart, but the narrow road connecting them is typically high traffic with almost no shoulder and some blind curves from old Lee HWY to Little Debbie parkway. I'm all about my rights as a road cyclist too, but I would drive it rather than attempt riding it. IMHO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec7 View Post
    Technically possible, but I don't know that I'd recommend it. They are probably 6 or so miles apart, but the narrow road connecting them is typically high traffic with almost no shoulder and some blind curves from old Lee HWY to Little Debbie parkway. I'm all about my rights as a road cyclist too, but I would drive it rather than attempt riding it. IMHO
    In Oct of 2013 Apison Pike construction is supposed begin to widen it to 5 lanes from Old Lee Hwy to Ooltewah-Ringgold Rd so that might help that ride out a bit if they do it right.

Booker T Washington State park also has a trail that isn't too far from Enterprise South but I'm not sure I'd like to ride a bike on North Hickory Valley road as it currently exists.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    That describes my location in East Brainerd. Both of these are 6 miles from my house. I have ridden to Collegedale and frankly, it sucked. Much less hassle to rack the bike to the trails in ten minutes. Collegedale drains quickly and there is virtually no mud, even after a storm. The gotcha right now is leaves. Enterprise requires more time to dry out and it closes at sunset.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I think your best bet is too find a place in Lookout Valley which is at the base of Raccoon Mtn. You would have the trail up top and lots of good road riding in and around the valley as well. The other systems are too spread out to connect by bike and still be fun.