mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Bum trails in Melbourne FL born again

I just checked out the trails near the railroad tracks in melbourne FL. I didn't find much except for a bunch of bums. Is there still trails here that i can't find? Does anyone want to help build these trails up again?

Ken

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    The bum trails have been dead for a while now. It has the most potential of anywhere in Melbounre because off the big gulley they dug out to build up the tracks, the last time I rode it 5 years ago it was pretty cool... for Melbourne.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    The bum trails have been dead for a while now. It has the most potential of anywhere in Melbounre because off the big gulley they dug out to build up the tracks, the last time I rode it 5 years ago it was pretty cool... for Melbourne.

So what do you think it would take to build it up again? Is it all private property?
    Why did it get all messed up?

Ken

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I think it's railroad property.. not sure. I heard that the cops were giving people warning out there but that was a long while ago. It would be one of the better areas in town to try to build a trail because of the elevation change it offers and the fact that it is semi-secluded and sort of hard to get to, nobody will see you building back there.

The other problem is the inhabitants of the trails..

Have you been to the trails out at Wickham park?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I think it's railroad property.. not sure. I heard that the cops were giving people warning out there but that was a long while ago. It would be one of the better areas in town to try to build a trail because of the elevation change it offers and the fact that it is semi-secluded and sort of hard to get to, nobody will see you building back there.

The other problem is the inhabitants of the trails..

Have you been to the trails out at Wickham park?
    Yeah I have been to Wickham park. Those were lots of fun. The bum trails are a lot closer to my house though. I am trying to get a club started at my school for mountain biking, maybe we can try and build up some of the bum trails again.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Where do you go to school? I went to Holy Trinity up in Suntree.

I also used to work at Revolutions Cyclery (Used to be Bob's) on Babcock.

Good luck at building the bum trails back up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Where do you go to school? I went to Holy Trinity up in Suntree.

I also used to work at Revolutions Cyclery (Used to be Bob's) on Babcock.

Good luck at building the bum trails back up.
    I go to FL tech. Yeah i go to revolution to get all my stuff. Hopefully my new club can get some trails built. Thanks

Ken

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kmandevi
    I go to FL tech. Yeah i go to revolution to get all my stuff. Hopefully my new club can get some trails built. Thanks

Ken

I go there too. If you want a hand getting the bike club off the ground, drop me a line. Sucks what's happening in the area... Turkey Creek, now they took out most obstacles / fun parts at Wickham.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    What happened to Turkey creek? And what did they take out of Wickham? I'm not suprised if they tore the stunts out of Wickham, I knew that they wouldn't last. The trail on top of the old gun range hill was too easy for random people to acess and it would just be time before some idiot gets hurt on it and causes it all to get torn out.
    Last edited by Acme54321; 03-01-2006 at 05:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What happened to Turkey creek? And what did they take out of Wickham? I'm not suprised if they tore the stunts out of Wickham, I knew that they wouldn't last. The trail on top of the old gun range hill was too easy for random people to acess and it would just be time before some idiot gets hurt on it and causes it all to get torn out.
    Hey I ride Wickham Park all the time. The new Park Supv. made us take out the stunts. Basically anything above the ground had to be removed for liability purposes. The trail group I am involved with is working with the Park Rangers to hopefully get things put back in place. We do maintenance on the trails every couple weeks. We were able to leave some of the log overs and some other fun stuff, but I am not sure for how long. Ride it now because you never know. The berms were really fun and maybe in the future we can get them ridable again. Currently the sand is just too soft. On an up note, we are getting IMBA involved. So the future is looking better. Wickham is a good ride if only because it is right in town. See you out there...........

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    If you guys are interested in building new trails, check the fruit trails in Palm Bay. They run
    along the Tillman canal between Babcock St and Emerson on the south side. Someone has already started building some lite freeride stuff. It has the most elevation change from when
    they dug the canal system. We do not want them coming in and tearing down the stuff that
    has been built! We just need more trail cut to connect all the ridges. If interested let me
    know!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Heckler03

Heckler03...........shoot an email my way...Yours is blocked. I want to know more about these trails.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Mike,

The trail needs to be ridden and cleaned up. It used to have 3 levels that connected. Since the hurricanes no one has been riding it, except one area back in the ridges. Looks
    like someone has built about a 4 foot drop off a 2 foot skinny and then the trail drops and then climbs back up another ridge then drops down a couple jumps. You then have to back track and do the loop again. If you do the same loop over a couple times its alot of fun but with alittle TLC if could become a great trail. Not as big of area as Wickham but
    much more technical and alot more elevation change and very little SAND! To find the trail you can start by parking along Babcock street Palm Bay, ride along the west sidewalk go across the canal bridge turn right in a vacant field and look for an over grown entrance that drops down by the cannal bank, it goes west for about half mile or so, kind of tight and techical. It then crosses a drainage ditch then goes back up the canal bank. This will put you in the ridge area is and the same area as the jumps and 4 footer. From this point you can explore on your own.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I will check these trails out soon. I went to Ft. Pierce this morning and noticed the trail area from the interstate.