mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Broward county fee

So went riding at quiet waters today and noticed a sign saying you have to pay a membership fee to use the trails. Is this new? Or did I just notice it after 3 years riding there.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Honesty, I don't ride Quiet Waters, but I've never paid any fee's in Broward for Markham.
    Giant Talon ... with a few upgrades

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyRid3r View Post
    Honesty, I don't ride Quiet Waters, but I've never paid any fee's in Broward for Markham.
    It's markham also.
    Mountain Bike Trails

mtbr member
    When I lived there in 2005 I used to ride Quiet Waters. I remember it was free on weekdays but they charged $1.00 to enter the park on weekends.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I believe it started mid-way through last year. It's $25 for the year.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    The fee is $25 for the year and the card is valid for Markham as well as QW. They are checking more and more so your chances of being 'caught' are pretty good. They want you to sign a new waiver and it also allows for a better count of how many active riders there are. The more the better. The trails also benefit from the fee as we are allowed to use county equipment for trail building and we get a few free loads of fill throughout the year. If you think it is a lot of money than maybe two visits less to Starbucks will help outů
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    The fee is $25 for the year and the card is valid for Markham as well as QW. They are checking more and more so your chances of being 'caught' are pretty good. They want you to sign a new waiver and it also allows for a better count of how many active riders there are. The more the better. The trails also benefit from the fee as we are allowed to use county equipment for trail building and we get a few free loads of fill throughout the year. If you think it is a lot of money than maybe two visits less to Starbucks will help outů
    No I totally get it, I just don't think many people know about this. I can already see all the upset people though. The $25 should let you get in on the weekends without paying though. That's stupid to pay to get in the park then use the trails also. Like me, I'm not really into technical stuff, so I don't really care about the building crazy things. I just want a cut path to ride.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009

Broward county fee

$25 a year is nothing to pay when you consider how nice the trails (Markham) are now...

I've been riding Markham well over 10 years and the difference is dramatic (for the better) now...

Hi There!
    They have had the fee for a few years, it allows you to ride Markham and Q-dub. Yes, they are checking more and more. I don't mind paying $1.50 to enter the park on the weekend...I mean really. It's 6 bucks to get into Virginia Key for the day, and either 4 or 6 to get into Oleta and Amelia as well, so if you rode any of those just 4 times in a year it works out the same.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I get it, it's just kind of annoying for another fee even if it's small. The Bike America at quiet waters get's a nice look now when buying a bike because you get the membership for free buying a bike there. 5 years would be $125, so you could figure that into your purchase price. At least for a beginner, getting your bike there makes more sense so you keep your entry level cost down.

The park entry fee is separate from the trail fee as not every visitor goes riding. There is also an annual fee for the RC planes and the dog park too. There are some peeps that get upset about it all, but at the same time when we explain where the money goes to, they don't seem to mind to much paying the fee. I agree that we get nickel and dime'd to death with all the fees, but in case of the MTB fee at least we get something back in return. The trail build fund is doing well with our races and the park manager is totally on our side also and this is why the trails are in such good shape..(even if I say so myself )

Ultimated Outsider
    Better to pay the small feed than have no trail at all. And you can really see the fee working on how good the trails look thanks to the peeps.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I gladly pay the MTB fee. I also pay for the weekend pass for another $25. if you go to the parks often it pays for itself.

Oscar and the other guys do a phenomenal job of trail maintenance and preservation at MP. Much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Fee sounds reasonable to me. Up here I pay $4.00 a day to ride San Felasco and it is well worth it.

Spoke with a ranger this weekend and the fine for not paying the fee is something like $75 but some people still just do not drop the $4.00 in the box.

I just cannot understand that line of thought.

I will gladly pay a daily use fee in exchange for some time out on the trails.

A round of golf is what, at least $30-$40 and a pizza is $10 and up .

Pay to play !!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    This thread got derailed into a discussion on people paying the fee. I was more concerned that there isn't much notification or posting about this fee.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by soflotrailer View Post
    This thread got derailed into a discussion on people paying the fee. I was more concerned that there isn't much notification or posting about this fee.
    Got it.

At San Felasco sign cannot be missed as it is right at the entry point.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nt against fees for mt biking as long as the funds go to the trails. $25 for a years worth of riding is a bargain compared to many other activities.

The sign is at the trailhead actually. Like most signs it is completely ignored by quite a few peeps, just like the 'helmet mandatory' signs and the no littering signs.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by soflotrailer View Post
    Agreed, there should be signs at the entrance to the park, maybe where you pay to get in. I've seen quite a few people get out to the trailhead before realizing they have to go all the way back to the office and pay.
    NTFTC

TRANCER
    How much is the year pass for Oleta alone in Dade? And how much is Amelia if you go on the weekends? In a couple rides it already goes over $25. Its all good
    Ride