mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Boyette or Alafia?

Coming over from the east coast of Florida to do a weekend in Tampa, Busch Gardens this Friday/Sat but want to take my 8 year old on some trails. Which of these 2 would be a better choice?

He's been riding for a year, pretty good endurance, but living in Vero Beach he has not faced any elevation.

We only have time to ride one of these trails, any opinions?

Jackalope Hunter
    Boyette has a two mile fire road ride in and out... plus more miles of trail, but is less tech for the most part, just takes a long time to get back to the goods... Although a few trails like Ridgeline have quite a bit of elevation (for Fl.) Alafia has nice facilities, parking close to the trail, but more challenging trails IMO. The riding at Boyette might be more kid friendly, but Alafia's much more convenient from a family standpoint... I guess it boils down to what type of riding you want to do.
    B Team represent

OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

PMK
    mtbr member
    Alafia and Boyette this weekend may be a bit less than typical with the FTF happening. Sadly, it appears Carter Rd has a race. Pretty much all three trails in close prox to one another will see possible heavy use.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the help everyone, and thanks to PMK I'll avoid Alafia due to the FTF.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    dam I was planning on going this weekend too, probably better to go the following weekend
    is it way too many people to enjoy the trails?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    just noticed that it is closed to non-participants
    ill try for thanksgiving vacation days

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The facilities at Alafia and the 2 mile ride from the parking lot at Boyette would also make me recommend Alafia over Boyette for any beginner. Start out on Sand Pine and Rock Garden and hit North Creek if your 8yr old is up for a bigger challenge. River loop is a good easy trail too, but most of it is still too muddy.

If you are still heading over this way and don't have a ticket to the Fat Tire Festival, then you should check out Wilderness Park/Flat Woods/Trout Creek/whatever. It is great for beginners and has a few optional technical trails (no elevation, though). I like it because it is a fast, flowing trail and it is the closest to Tampa.

DaFaJa
    Alafia is a Great place to ride.. Check SWAMP Mountain Bike Club Trails in Florida
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    So both parks are closed on both sat n Sunday?
    2011 Trek 4300....
    2009 Specialized Elite Stumpjumper....

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11trk4300 View Post
    So both parks are closed on both sat n Sunday?
    I do not believe that both Alafia and Boyette are closed during the FTF, more like there will be a lot of riders. In the past, the FTF ride at Boyette was Saturday morning until lunch. Alafia was Saturday after lunch and Sunday.

That does not mean that everyone will be riding Boyette, some stay at Alafia avoiding the few miles of pedaling to jump from one trail system to the other.

I would like to hit Boyette or Carter on Friday, then FTF the other days.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjdraw View Post

If you are still heading over this way and don't have a ticket to the Fat Tire Festival, then you should check out Wilderness Park/Flat Woods/Trout Creek/whatever. It is great for beginners and has a few optional technical trails (no elevation, though). I like it because it is a fast, flowing trail and it is the closest to Tampa.
    Thanks for the tip about Wilderness Park, I have never heard of it and in doing some research found it is about 10 minutes from the hotel we are staying at. Perfect trails for my son, thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The trails are open this weekend at both alafia and boyette. what is closed to anyone who is not registered is the campground/vendor area at alafia.

With that said, the trails do get pretty busy, which leads me to avoid them during this weekend. Santos should be pretty open and has lots of beginner friendly trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I think you and your son will be more than pleased with the riding @ the Wilderness Park!
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

mtbr member
    does it to crowded to enjoy the trails, im assuming everyone thats in the ftf isnt a novice rider and the trails will be busy but not packed with crashes and hold ups from novice riders.
    2011 Trek 4300....
    2009 Specialized Elite Stumpjumper....