mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Booker T. XC (chattanooga)

Not sure if anyone from Scenic City Multisport will see this or not, but if you know someone involved in race planning let them know.

I went out clearing cob webs this morning (booo!) to try and beat some of this rediculous heat.There is a tree down 2.1 miles in from trailhead. The tree doesn't cross the trail but is down along the trail. The branches cover the trail causing the trail to disappear. When riding alone this isn't a big deal, you can ride over the branches and keep going. For the race that takes place in 10 days, it might be a pretty big hassle. Other than that, the trail is in pretty good shape. Those roots combined with all the tight turns in the first mile are killer. After that, it's a fun trail.

Just a heads up...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If its only the branches across the trail, you might want to carry one of these on your next ride.

They only costs $15 to $20. The other users will give you mad props for it. I used to carry one with me when ever I rode.

Here we are at Fall Creek Falls near Pikeville, TN, in action.

We have cut out trees as large as 15 inches in diameter with it by sawying all the way round the trunk and then jumping on it to snap the last couple of inches in the center that we couldn't cut with the folding saw.

I have cut out trees with my folding saw from as far away from Chattanooga as Nashville and Birmingham.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That's a good idea. I do need to invest in that. I'll have to get some velcro straps to hold it to the frame or... it's a good excuse to get a bigger camlebak...hmmm

BTW, there's a tree down at raccoon as well. It's on sixflags. Similar in size to the one in your picture. It's obviously not the one in your pic tho, bc you'd be crazy to be out there in long pants and a jacket these days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    are the fall creek falls trails worth a 45 min drive? I live in Dayton 45 min from coon and/or Ocoee.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GradyReel
    are the fall creek falls trails worth a 45 min drive? I live in Dayton 45 min from coon and/or Ocoee.
    YES! It used to be my favorite trail. There are two things that have dropped it in rank.

(1) A damn beaver built a beaver dam and flooded a portion of the trail. The park rerouted the trail to a forest service road to get around it, dropping the trail from 15 to 13 miles in length. The forest service road is about a mile long, leaving only 12 miles of singletrack where there used to be a full 15miles of singletrack.
    (2) I help build Raccoon Mountain, which is 20 miles of singletrack, less than 20 minutes from my house.

I still make an effort to ride there at least once or twice a year (though not in tick season), despite the fact that it is over an hour away. I usually ride it clock-wise, but if I have the time I ride it both directions.

Map here!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    By the way, rode Harrison Bay about a week and a half ago and saw five maybe six logs over the trail. Little bigger than what a Gerber Gator could cut through as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocklion
    By the way, rode Harrison Bay about a week and a half ago and saw five maybe six logs over the trail. Little bigger than what a Gerber Gator could cut through as well.
    They weren't there yesterday when I rode it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zyzbot
    They weren't there yesterday when I rode it.
    The Harrison Bay State Park staff is real good at cutting downed trees from the trail. If you ever see anything down there, simply report it to the staff at the main office.

For the other trails (Raccoon Mountain & Booker T.) you need to do a little self help with a folding saw or let us (SORBA-Chattanooga) know and we will usually get someone out there within a week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I cleared out a couple of small ones at Booker T this morning, but there are two that will require a power saw. It looks like they had a lot of rain out there over the past few days, the trail was surprisingly wet and there is a lot of sand wash in corners.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Okay, well, while we're at it - there are two down on Grindstone and one on Small Intestine (new ones).

mtbr member

Yep

There is also one down at the east overlook trail past the jump!
    Too wet to ride!

mtbr member
    4 trees down at Raccoon when I rode yesterday. They will require a chain saw.

Brian
    Ride it like you stole it!