mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Body found on Gainesville Trails...

So Jennifer and I went running Sunday at Ring park, where I had ridden through the week before, and where many cyclists ride and people walk/run. We noticed a strong smell like there was a dead animal. VERY strong smell and slightly different than say a dead squirrel, so it had to be something significant, and close to the trail. We ran out and back twice (meaning we passed it four times), noting the smell each time.

Today my buddy Matt and I went for a run at the same trail system. The smell was still there, but not nearly as strong.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2...-found-in-park

So glad we didn't find it. Can't believe we inhaled human decay. Pure nastiness. I never thought this would bug me, but I am pretty creeped out right now. Can't believe how distinct that smell is compared to decay of other animals.

Anyways, if you've ridden/ran these trails recently and noticed the smell, now you know what it is.
    Last edited by pointerDixie214; 09-14-2010 at 08:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My creep out meter would be at 11.

Its got what plants crave
    We have our group rides on Wednesday, about the time that they found the body. I imagine we would have run across it, you know.. if we rode there, but of course we don't cuz uhhh... that's against the rules and stuff. We rode 8th ave, Creekside, and 20th Ave that day instead fortunately for us.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Jim- I rode two Wednesdays ago with that group... that's how I unofficially learned about this trail. Yep. They pointed it out as we rode by.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm so glad I didn't find this. Crazy.