mtbr member
    May 2013

Blythe Island Regional Park - Brunswick, GA

Anyone in/around Brunswick want to help out on some trail maintenance?

Blythe Island Regional Park is a county-owned public park located off Highway 303 in Glynn County (Brunswick) Georgia. It's got camping, fishing, an archery range, and a pretty decent bike trail. For those who've never ridden the trails at BIRP, you can expect a series of short and long trails with lots of switchbacks, a few hills here and there, a few technical features, and a lot of roots. Did I say roots? I mean there is a lot of roots.

The trouble is that the trails are poorly (if ever) maintained. The park people come in and cut back the main trail, which is a wide walking/hiking trail, but they don't do anything to the bike trails. I rode the other day and couldn't even find some of the trail heads off the main path, and when I was on the trails I couldn't even see them because of the leaves and fallen debris.

If there is anyone around my area that wouldn't mind lending a hand to clear and clean the trails up, I'd sure appreciate it. I've already gotten the 'go-ahead' from the park people who gave permission for us to access the trail heads via vehicle in order to maintain them.

There is a lot of overgrowth on the trails that needs to be cut back. The trails themselves need to be swept and raked out to be cleared of leaves and fallen limbs, stuff like that. Most of the technical features need to be repaired (jumps over logs, some small bridges). There are several places where new things could be added.

If anyone would be willing to meet up for a work day at the park, let me know.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Good luck! Sounds like some decent trails. Have friends in Brunswick and SSI (unfortunately not mtb'ers). Bookmarked this for when I am down there next.