mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Blankets Creek questions

Hey guys

I might head to Georgia this year, in march, and will be living in the Kennesaw area, not far from Kennesaw Mountain High School.

I heard of Blankets Creek Trails and want to get in some good training. A few questions for you guys who know the area

1- I want to ride to and from the trails, I dont mind if it take 1 hour. Google map says its approximately 18 miles from where I'll be living. Any safe road suggestions?

2- Are the trails actually opened in the first week of march?

3- How much does it cost to ride there?

4- Any other nice trails suggestions?

thank you

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I can't help with your first question as i dont live in that area. However, i do ride blankets frequently and the trails will be open in March. The only time they close if after heavy rains (rarely) and in the winter durring periods of freeze/thaw conditions.

The cost is a donation. Pay what you think they are worth.

Rope Mill Park is just a few miles away from blankets and are also very good flowy trails. Not in the area but worth checking out is Big Creek in Roswell and Chicopee in Gainesville for starters.

Enjoy.

mtbr member
    there is no super safe way from KSU area to Blankets, but not impossable if you go after rush hr times....but I would recommend going by car and then riding Rope Mill and Blankets, you can easily ride both (on ur bike) using Sixes Rd as connector and put in 35+ miles and not feel like you have riden in circles...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yeah, I definitely wouldn't recomend riding there from the Kennesaw Mountain area. I second the drive up to Rope Mill and ride from there to Blankets for a nice workout including trails.

Alatoona Creek is a newly designed trail that has been getting some good pub lately. I haven't been but have heard they just added some advance lines as well as some free ride areas with plans for a bunch more trail. Not sure exactly where it is but I am guessing that it's more more driveable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    thanks guys

trying to figure out where Rope Mill is on google maps, do you guys have any adress? I want to find the right thing...

I went there 2 years ago with my road bike, I had mapped out a big loop, mostly west from HWY 75, starting in Kennesaw, going to Acworth and almost to Emerson. Some roads were nice, some had more trafic.

I dont mind taking longer route to get there by bike, still not something to consider? Me and my girlfriend will only have 1 car and I'll be riding all morning so I want her to have the car to do something...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Devincicx View Post
    thanks guys

trying to figure out where Rope Mill is on google maps, do you guys have any adress? I want to find the right thing...

I went there 2 years ago with my road bike, I had mapped out a big loop, mostly west from HWY 75, starting in Kennesaw, going to Acworth and almost to Emerson. Some roads were nice, some had more trafic.

I dont mind taking longer route to get there by bike, still not something to consider? Me and my girlfriend will only have 1 car and I'll be riding all morning so I want her to have the car to do something...
    I don't know man it would be pretty rough as there is a main highway which is the easiest way to get there. Here are the coordinates on google maps 34.13154,-84.524453.

Let me know if it works. I have been going there more lately for a change of pace and been loving it. They are planning on building 10+ more miles of trail there as well. Of course parking will probably then become an issue lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Atl-Biker

thanks for the google map precisions. It works!

I'll drive to Rope Mill and ride there and tehn ride from Rope Mill to Blankets Creek.

I'll give you guys a shout when march comes, maybe some of you will be riding there and we can have a few singletracks together!

cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Guys

im trying to map out a route to get to Rope Mill trails using some secondary roads in case I cant have the car.

Is this the correct Rope Mill geographic situation?
    360-498 Rope Mill Rd
    Woodstock, GA 30188, États-Unis

From there I would ride to blankets creek

thanks for any help

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Try sorbawoodstock.org They have a map with directions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    thanks

are Rope Mill trails really worth it or should I head directly for Blankets creek trails instead?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Blankets

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Not quite sure what you are asking but I enjoy Rope Mill a good bit. It's a lot of fun but with some nice uphills. Both sets of trails are pretty smooth and Avalanch has some decent climbing as well as some good up and down twisty's. The third loop on Avalanche is an absolute treat if you like flow IMO.

The Beginner (Explore) trails are some of the best beginer trails I have ever been on. It's just a beautiful park as well.

I'm obviously a fan. If you are concerned about the drive from Rope Mill to Blankets don't be as it's not that bad. If you have a lot of time do all of Blankets and then all of Rope Mill. That would put you a good bit over 20 miles without looking.

I go in phases though. They are both in my backyard and I used to hit Blankets almost exclusively but lately I have really been digging Rope MIll. It's good to get you in shape for the season with the hills.

mtbr member
    I also wouldn't rate Blankets over Rope Mill. I think they're equal but different. Rope Mill is some fine tight singletrack with plenty of short climbs. Blankets is more flowy and certainly gets more attention. Rope Mill is certainly less crowded.

Unfortunately there is no official trail linkup between the two. You will have to drive over to Blankets from Rope Mill, or find the secret passage. IIRC, Blankets is about 14 miles of trails and Rope Mill about 9 miles.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    thx guys, awesome info

I will be living about 18 miles away from Rope mills, in Kennesaw actually. My plan was to find some small road or secondary road without much traffic so I could ride to and from Rope Mills. It will be my training camp, so I dont mind doing 4h+ a day.

Im trying to figure ou some road from Kennesaw to Rope Mills, I found something decent but I'd need to ride on Canton Rd and it looks like it has quite a bit of traffic