mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Beta on riding near Nashville, TN

Headed to Franklin, TN to visit some family in a few weeks and was wondering what kind of riding I might be able to find? Would also need a place to rent a bike or two. Coming from Colorado and typically do all mountain riding, not afraid to earn the down by climbing....Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Not certain about renting bikes in Franklin. You might try the MOAB bike shop there. As far as trails, one thing you won't do in this area is earn a big down hill from lots of climbing. Lots of short climbs, lots of short down hills. People in the Franklin direction tend to favor Chickasaw Trace for a good ride, but don't overlook heading to Lock 4, which will be an hour or so north of you, or Montgomery Bell, which will be north and west of you about the same drive time, I suspect.

Nearly all of our riding around here is a little up and a little down. There's a lot of trail that's very nearly flat, and most of it's merit comes either from it's flow or from it's technical sections (rocks, etc). If you take a look at a map of the area, west of I24 tends to be more hills (short, steep) and east of I24 tends to be flatter.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Take it from me, don't bother. It won't be worth the money to rent, unless you just really have to get away from the family. If you have time to drive, then within 1.5-2 hours there are great trails. I have spent some time riding in CO, and nothing here will tickle your fancy.

Flame away

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the intel, much appreciated. I'll see how the visit goes and then determine my level of dirt therapy needed! Definitely want to check out that MOAB LBS in Franklin/ Mufreesboro, seems they have some decent rigs in their showroom. Who knows, maybe I can pick me up some MOAB socks in TN that match my Moab socks from Moab.

Another question perhaps, any locally owned breweries you would recommend? Big fan of trying new brews.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yazoo is the bigger one. Turtle Anarchy is based out of Franklin, and I love their Portly Stout. Gerst is another local, as well as Jackalope. Tennessee has historically made it real hard on craft brewers, so they are not as prevalent here as you might think. We also have the Blackstone Brewery/Restaurant and they have some pretty darn good house brews.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Moab is THE shop in middle tennessee. They have a good selection and a knowledgeable team. Their gear is more oriented to the xc racer style of riding. not going to find too many all mountain bikes to drool over, but lots of accessories and entry level bikes too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks again driftertom for the intel. Asked my parents about the Turtle Anarchy brewery and oddly enough they went to the 1 year anniversary party last weekend. I can safely say we will be hitting that place up! I'll report back on the beers.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Where would you recommend if can do the 1.5-2 hour drive? Was coming here to post pretty much the same question smallwine did (except I'll be coming in from NorCal and tent to ride a bit more cross-country).

Also, any sites to check out that might have recommend routes and/or photos from the trails mentioned above (Lock 4, Montgomery Bell)?

Thanks,
    James

mtbr member
    May 2007
    you need to check out tennesseemountainbike dot com for trail info. everything in nashville is a perfectly fine cross country ride. mid tn is relatively flat, so nothing extended up or down.

If I were to drive 1.5-2hrs:

Raccoon Mtn in Chatt (trails of all types)
    Monte Sano in Huntsville AL(more techincal)

3 hours adds a ton of good options. There are 3-4 days worth of good riding in Chattanooga.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    raccoon mtn is my favorite place to ride.....i am not to sure about anything GREAT in nashville, there are more options for road bikers.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Re: Beta on riding near Nashville, TN

Thanks.

what the quan?!
    Quote Originally Posted by bixby View Post
    raccoon mtn is my favorite place to ride.....i am not to sure about anything GREAT in nashville, there are more options for road bikers.
    Doh- This is not a reply I wanted to see! I am possibly relocating out that way in a couple months from the PNW. Driving an hour or 2 is fine by me. That's what I have to put up with now (currently in Portland) to get to anything decent.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dangdang View Post
    I am possibly relocating out that way in a couple months from the PNW. Driving an hour or 2 is fine by me. That's what I have to put up with now (currently in Portland) to get to anything decent.
    Brother-in-law was just up in Portland this past weekend (he used to live there) and met up with some old buddies to ride the trail that was recently built? re-done? in Sandy. Said it was some of the best trail he'd ever been on. Ride it while you can.

what the quan?!
    Big fan of Sandy Ridge. In fact, 3 years ago when I first moved to Portland (from Kansas City), it had just opened. Great trail system to say the least. Broke the heck outta my hand there last year right at the beginning of summer. Was a massive bummer- took about 6 months to fully heal up. They just opened up a couple more trails on it a few weeks ago. Most likely, your bro-in-law got to ride them. They are most excellent. I will heed your advice, and enjoy them while I can!

Didn't mean to hijack this thread in any way. Just trying to find out what trails are around the area and what not. Seems like the riding will be similar to what I rode in KC. May have to swap out bikes again... something the wife will not want to hear. heh!

mtbr member
    Don't dispair about riding around middle TN. There are at least two trail systems in here that are currently under construction that should, in theory, blow pretty much everything else around here away. Either way. As far as "so few options", 10 years ago there weren't many options. Today, there's Hamilton Creek, Shute's Branch, Lock 4, Montgomery Bell, Chickasaw Trace, Rotary Park, LBL's Canal Loop and the North South trail. Maybe none of it is spectacular, but there are certainly options, and each place has it's strong points. I'm sure there are more good rides than that, but let's let "no place to mountain bike" around Nashville be put to bed.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I'm sure there are more good rides than that, but let's let "no place to mountain bike" around Nashville be put to bed.
    I agree, and that's not what I intended to imply. It was more that no where around here is worth paying $100+ for one day of riding. An addition to your list, you can add THe Perimeter Trail in Sewanee. I consider that to be the best mountain biking in mid tn.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Re: Beta on riding near Nashville, TN

Am looking forward to getting a ride or two in while back (has been about twenty years or so since lived/last rode there). Thanks all for the tips.

Just hope can end up doing at not too high a cost. And, even more, am hoping to catch a little break with the heat and humidity (definitely not used to that anymore).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Finally made it to Franklin to visit the fam. Went to the Moab shop in Franklin and it seemed pretty good. Not much selection on this particular show room and a bit bummed they only had Moab jerseys but no socks. They did have quite the selection of bikes being worked on, some nice looking Yeti's, Santa Cruz and Niners so I'm guessing the terrain out there must be pretty good. Didn't get a chance to talk to any shop employees as they were all busy working with other customers, nice to see.

Did hit up the Turtle Anarchy brewery and that place is good, nice inside and good selection of brews. I wasn't too impressed with their Rye or the lighter stuff but I am a huge stout fan and their Portly Stout was really awesome. They also had some specialty brews of What the Fudge? Chocolate Stout and None More Black Coffee Stout which were both out of this world. I was dying to get my hands on a growler of the chocolate stout but no go as they only had one keg and wouldn't sell me one. Bought a T-Shirt and will go back every chance I get for their stout.

Sampled a couple of the Yazoo brews which for my taste buds was pretty light on flavor. Also had a Blackstone Chaser Pale which I did enjoy.

Thanks for all the beta, especially about the Turtle Anarchy.

Oh, and had the best latte I ever tasted at the Frothy Monkey, incredibly good coffee house in Franklin.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dangdang View Post
    Doh- This is not a reply I wanted to see! I am possibly relocating out that way in a couple months from the PNW. Driving an hour or 2 is fine by me. That's what I have to put up with now (currently in Portland) to get to anything decent.

there's plenty in and around nashville to keep busy. My personal favorites are hamilton creek and lock4. plus, chattanooga is about 1.5 hours from town and has several more option. If you venture west of town, there is the 20 or so mile montgomery bell trail system as well.