mtbr member

Best wheel builder in South Florida?

Any recommendations? Looking to build some 650b hoops very soon. I'd prefer someone who works on the side so I don't get raped by the often overpriced LBS's in the area. I'll drive as ar far North as Ft Laud.
    Riding: 2012 Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Try Bala at Cycle Evolution, Delray....worth the extra drive
    http://cyclevolution.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    Try Bala at Cycle Evolution, Delray....worth the extra drive
    http://cyclevolution.com/
    Thanks for the suggestion. I was checking the site and they seem to have decent prices. I might call to inquire about labor, as I have most of the parts already.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Call Jim's Bicycles 954-418-6101 - in Deerfield (across from Quiet Waters). See if Tony can build them up for you.

Cheers
    Barry

Following the trend
    There is a guy in St Petersburg that is the best. He built in a wheel for me 8 years ago that it still going strong. He will mail order it for you if you want.

His website is oddsadendos.com. It has been a while so he may not be doing traditional website business. I believe he may be doing ebay lately.

His name is Mike Garcia and he is the best this side of the Mississippi.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saldman View Post

His name is Mike Garcia and he is the best this side of the Mississippi.
    Out of curiosity, how does one achieve such a title? Would one need to compete and win the "best wheel builder this side of the Mississippi" contest?

Following the trend
    Hmmm, lets see.

One gets the title by building high quality build for incredibly low prices. He also stood by his work and the products he sold. Such as: My wheel that I bought from him was a Mavic 3.1 tubeless (they are called something else now) with butted spokes laced to a WTB Laser lite rear disc hub (a licensed version from American Classic) for $180 dollars.

Four years later, the hub pawls went out. I called Mike to replace the hub for a fee. No. He called American Classic and had the internals warranted. He then replaced them and sent the repaired wheel back to me at no charge. Even paid the shipping. FOUR years later.

That same wheel still is being used and it is still true. How? I don't know how. I beat up on that wheel constantly. That guy builds a mean wheel.

Do a search on the internet and you will see many stories like this one. Funny, I still have the extra spoke, nipple, and Mavic tool unsued.

I have been mountain biking for over 12 years and have never heard of any service/product combination like his anywhere. (This side of the Mississippi of course.)

But then again, it is only my opinion.

Sal
    Last edited by saldman; 10-21-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PannikAttk View Post
    Any recommendations? Looking to build some 650b hoops very soon. I'd prefer someone who works on the side so I don't get raped by the often overpriced LBS's in the area. I'll drive as ar far North as Ft Laud.
    Where'd you end up having them done? Looking for a decent wheel builder too.

Btw oddsandendos.com is no longer operational. Just out of curiosity is Garcia even still in business?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Bump

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Butter View Post
    Bump

Sorry for delay - been away for a bit.

I ended up going to Bike Shop | Road Bikes | Mountain Bikes | Online Bike Shop - Merlin Cycles in the UK. I got some handbuilt Stans ArchEX rims laced to gold Hope hubs w DT Revolution spokes for under $350 shipped. I'll have the wheels in my hands in a matter of days.

My original plan was to go 650b on my 2012 Blur, but I ended up sticking to 26" due to conflicting reports on whether or not I'd end up rubbing, having to modify my rear shock, etc.

I've also read great things about Merlins handbuilt wheels. It was worth a shot at such a great price.