Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best trails around Atlanta

7K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Narco 
#1 ·
I'm heading to Atlanta this weekend and am planning to bring my bike down. What are some of the best trails to check out and how far are they from the city?

#2 ·
Depends on what you're looking for and most importantly what will be open. Check Sorba.org, generally organizers from each branch will post up if their trails are open.

I like Big Creek a ton since there's a fun freeride section with a few downhill lines and slalom lines as well as a few miles of singletrack. Chicopee is up in Gainesville and well worth the drive, lots of great trails, good climbs and fast downhills. Blankets gets all of the attention but will likely be closed. Dauset Trails is an hour south of Atlanta and very beautiful cross country, chunky trails without much elevation change, just very isolated and great scenery. The Conyers International Horse Park Trails are a good mix with some excruciating climbs and good singletrack.

I think most anything will be slushy this weekend after the sleet that is currently coming down all over Atlanta.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

That stinks about the rain. The forecast for the next 4 days is sunny so I'm hoping some trails will be open by this weekend.

I was looking up some pictures and video and it seems like there's a lot of smooth singletrack with good flow. I'll probably bring my SS rigid down.

#6 · (Edited)
With 2 days of expected sunshine and based on my experience Big Creek should be fine this weekend (I hope so as I'm driving up myself to ride there.) At worst you may just need to avoid the front side of the beginner trails and stick to the back side and more advanced routes as they are rockier and steeper.

I don't know how well Chicopee drains but it is definitely my favorite trail. I don't think Ft Yargo or Yellow River drain well enough and I don't think any of the trails inside the perimeter will be dry enough (they're short and only worth riding for locals anyway.)

Oh and Big Creek is just outside the perimeter in Roswell - maybe 20 minutes from Midtown/Buckhead.

You can call (678)404-0814 for trail status at Big Creek just to be sure.

#8 ·
Closest trail to downtown is Sope Creek.
Sope creek is fun. i rode there almost everyday this summer cuz i live next door.

I cant believe no one mentioned blankets creek!!
It was rated like #15 in the country by some totally not credible website. :thumbsup:

But seriously, Blankets is freaking awesome. 30 mins north of 285

3 good trails for free! Thanks Sorba Woodstock!

1- Dwelling loop- Intermediate but still really fun. Not too much technical stuff or elivation change but it makes a sweet warmup if you ride it fast.

2- Van micheals - Expert- Not too technical but the steepest freaking trail in Atlanta (from what i have ridden) Its murder on a singlespeed. Tons of grueling ups and then just as many awesome downs.

3- south loop- Expert. Lots of rocks and roots and not as steep as van micheals but more steep than dwelling. Also lots of fun!

Thanks,
Sheepo

#9 ·
Sheepo5669 said:
I cant believe no one mentioned blankets creek!!
It was rated like #15 in the country by some totally not credible website. :thumbsup:

But seriously, Blankets is freaking awesome. 30 mins north of 285
Yes but it is closed all winter due to freeze thaw. When they say it is open, 400+ people will ride it in a day.

#14 ·
I definitely appreciate the feedback. I'm pretty psyched to try some of the trails around here. Based on the videos on singletrack.com it seems there's a pretty good trail system.

I just called the trail status # and Big Creek is open so I'm planning on riding that this afternoon and hopefully make it up to Chicopee tomorrow. If I have time, I might try to get out for a quick ride on Sunday.

#16 ·
Chicopee is great for the type of riding you want to do. You should hit the red loop too while you're out that way. Copperhead will make you work, but is not overly technical.

I don't think there's a bad recomendation in the bunch and the way the weather is looking I'd expect most stuff to be open. Yellow River is pretty networked, so you probably don't want to ride there without a guide. The rest have good maps and marking.

#21 ·
I ended up only riding Big Creek Saturday and was pleasantly surprised when I found "they" have done some work and connected the "most difficult" loops to the down hill and dirt jumping parks in the back. Anybody know how much new trail there is out there? Some parts of the new stuff were slick with mud, but fun none the less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.