mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Best technical trail in the savannah/atlanta corridor?

I'm from Tampa and heading to Savannah for the 4th. I love technical trails like the Vortex trail at Santos. 4ft drops are no problem. I've been scouring the GA trail list but not seeing much E and SE of Altanta. Are there any great freeride or all-mountain trails in this area? My wife can shuttle me if there are any that can be shuttled. The ideal trail would be like the vortex except 15-25 miles long and with a lot of elevation changes. What should I check out?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasterman View Post
    I'm from Tampa and heading to Savannah for the 4th. I love technical trails like the Vortex trail at Santos. 4ft drops are no problem. I've been scouring the GA trail list but not seeing much E and SE of Altanta. Are there any great freeride or all-mountain trails in this area? My wife can shuttle me if there are any that can be shuttled. The ideal trail would be like the vortex except 15-25 miles long and with a lot of elevation changes. What should I check out?
    Atlanta is bit out of the way for Savannah. Dausett and Thomson are SE but the stuff I think your looking for is north of Atlanta.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This might be some help also. Ignore the Chattanooga and go to Ga.
    SORBA Chattanooga

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks, I was thinking about trying Dausett, but the reviews are so mixed, one person says there are 4-5 foot drops, and the next says the trail isn't technical at all lol. How does Blankets compare to Dausett? Since there seem to be no good trails in SE GA, what is the best trail within 1 hour of Atlanta?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you ever get the chance, hit Pisgah National Forest (North Carolina) and in particular, Farlow Gap. May not work out for ya on this trip but make note to self to get there. UNREAL

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Dausett is an excellent trail system. I don't think they are talking about Freeride style drops at Dausett. It's a great XC trail with some harder climbing in the middle of the system. Plenty of mileage if you ride all the trails. Blankets has a little less mileage and is more flowy but also, very fun. They also have a short DH jump line there (Quehl Holler).
    Google

There are a lot of good trail within a hour of at Atlanta but if your looking for DH, shuttle, or longer climbs and mileage. The Ellijay area is what your after but that's 5+ hours from Savannah. You could be in NC's Bent Creek, Asheville area in that time. Also, Beech Mtn has lift access Fri-Sun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasterman View Post
    Thanks, I was thinking about trying Dausett, but the reviews are so mixed, one person says there are 4-5 foot drops, and the next says the trail isn't technical at all lol. How does Blankets compare to Dausett? Since there seem to be no good trails in SE GA, what is the best trail within 1 hour of Atlanta?
    There are no 4ft drops there. It's a wonderful trail system for rigid SS bikes. Simply fast flowy singletrack without any crowd or hustling for parking spaces like at some of the more popular trails.