mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Best Route at Raccoon?

Where's the best place to start, and which way to go, for the easiest trip around the entire loop?

I started from the East Overlook parking lot. Rode East Rim, Electric Ave, Laurel Point, River Gorge, and Mega Watt. Due to time constraints I jumped off the trail at the visitor center and hit the rode back to the Overlook.

Mega Watt definitely seems as if it should be ridden the opposite the way I went.

Opinions please and Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    yeah, you went the wrong way, most people start at east overlook and go tward chunk,small intestion,grindstone ridge,vistor center,megawatt, Laurel Point,back to the east overlook, not the best decription i know i missed some of the trails but you get the picture.... nice 17.5 mile loop....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks, that's kind of what I figured.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You DID NOT go the wrong way. Riders are split 50/50 on which is the best way to ride the main loop trail. Ride the entire trail in both directions and decide which you prefer.

Singletrack Slayer
    Agreed. Any way u go is fun! Depends what I feel like doing that day. Bothways have good dh sections.
    I'd say if u want a " rideable" loop go ccw, east rim ,chunky for me into little chunky or stay east rim to switchyard, SI I skip if time is a issue, it is a fun fast loop!Then climb grindstone(either way on grindstone is fun) and then going down into megawatt is real fun that way! I skip 6 flags only for time, again really fun. Finsh megawatt and go around rivergorge and laurel pt and up electric ave which is a fast gradually climb. Again same way in reverse is fun just harder climb out of megawatt.
    It is cool, u can do however many miles u want,10 15 or 25 or whatever. Somedays I only got an hour to ride others I got all day, works great and stays fresh and u don't get bored.
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles
    Agreed. Any way u go is fun! Depends what I feel like doing that day. Bothways have good dh sections.
    I'd say if u want a " rideable" loop go ccw, east rim ,chunky for me into little chunky or stay east rim to switchyard, SI I skip if time is a issue, it is a fun fast loop!Then climb grindstone(either way on grindstone is fun) and then going down into megawatt is real fun that way! I skip 6 flags only for time, again really fun. Finsh megawatt and go around rivergorge and laurel pt and up electric ave which is a fast gradually climb. Again same way in reverse is fun just harder climb out of megawatt.
    It is cool, u can do however many miles u want,10 15 or 25 or whatever. Somedays I only got an hour to ride others I got all day, works great and stays fresh and u don't get bored.

where is the 6 flags trail? i rode the main loop today and skiped the small intestine ,,,just starting out this is my first official ride, it was a long first ride too!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    David, were you at raccoon today? I think you almost ran over me...if it was you that is. Luckily, I saw "you" coming bc you were moving! It was on LP or Electric, I think. You were heading towards Mega Watt possibly, probably right around 11.

Bhig, nice job on making most of the loop. Today was my first time to make the loop as well. I did skip the free ride area and chunky due to running out of water and chunky is a bit over my head.

I cleared a lot of spider webs on small intestine this morning. Also saw 7 deer walking along the trail (2 buck, 3 doe, 2 youngins).

Singletrack Slayer
    It is about a mile into Mega Watt. There is a turn up the hill before you go down into the big rockgarden. Can also get to it from the road before dam starts and drop into it.

Singletrack Slayer
    I was there from about 11ish to 12 ish I might have, passed a lot of people today, was kind of busy out there today, had a few close calls. One a- hole would not even attempt to share the trail when we came up on each other and we touched bars! He tried talking smack but I was quick to tell him he doesn't own the Fing trail. What a dick,

Had a good ride overall!! Pre rode the Time Trial Race for Thursday, It is a great loop info on Sorbachattanooga.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Glad I didn't run into any of that. Of course I don't trust other's bike control, so if I'm not going up a hill, I try to move over and let who ever pass by. It was definitely busy today. When I left there were about 10 people heading in from East Overlook. Glad I went fairly early.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MTI3Rmember
    Bhig, nice job on making most of the loop. Today was my first time to make the loop as well. I did skip the free ride area and chunky due to running out of water and chunky is a bit over my head.

i started at east overlook rode chunky,the best i can, pushed out onto the grave rode next to connecter trail and onto the rest of the loop

you said you skiped the free ride area and chunky????
    where is th e free ride area?? sounds like fun!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Singletrack Slayer
    Glad I didn't run into any of that. Of course I don't trust other's bike control, so if I'm not going up a hill, I try to move over and let who ever pass by. It was definitely busy today. When I left there were about 10 people heading in from East Overlook. Glad I went fairly early.
    Technically downhill should yeild to uphill riders, but it I use good judgement; so for me it depends on what trail and where I am on it. I always give riders bombing down Electric Ave the right of way when going up. ie. People need to understand trail etiquette, at least say hi when you pass, or you can be a jackass and wear headphones!! I was behind this guy one time for almost 1 mile or so on Electric ave going up and kept saying on your left and he would not move at all. I was getting pissed and yelled really loud, still no response! I then buzzed his back tire and he finally got the message, scared the piss out of him but I was like,"dude turn down your ******* headphones, not safe at all." I mean, come on people!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Technically downhill should yeild to uphill riders, but it I use good judgement; so for me it depends on what trail and where I am on it. I always give riders bombing down Electric Ave the right of way when going up. ie. People need to understand trail etiquette, at least say hi when you pass, or you can be a jackass and wear headphones!! I was behind this guy one time for almost 1 mile or so on Electric ave going up and kept saying on your left and he would not move at all. I was getting pissed and yelled really loud, still no response! I then buzzed his back tire and he finally got the message, scared the piss out of him but I was like,"dude turn down your ******* headphones, not safe at all." I mean, come on people!!!!
    One of the guys heading to the trail yesterday had his headphones up so loud I could hear them. Granted, he was only one parking spot next to me, but on top of the mountain, with the wind, river, and the rest of nature speaking...he must be deaf. Oh well, live and learn.

mtbr member
    This definately seems to becoming more of a trend lately at coon. I've had many of the same experiences. Downhillers bombing down with no etiquette whatsoever. We're all out there for the same thing. Step off the trail, let a group cruise through, hop on, and ride again. What, you lost 10 seconds of riding time??

As far as headphones go, to each his own. No need to dawg someone for their own personal preference in riding, but keep the volume down so you can at least hear someone when they're on your wheel.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    my respond to wearing earphones is just wear in one ear so you can hear out of the other one,,,

rode the six flags trail today and looked for the free ride trail, did not know what to look for but i rode chunky and a few trails all around that area trying to find it.... had a good time...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bhigdon101
    my respond to wearing earphones is just wear in one ear so you can hear out of the other one,,,

rode the six flags trail today and looked for the free ride trail, did not know what to look for but i rode chunky and a few trails all around that area trying to find it.... had a good time...
    If you park at the east overlook go halfway around the circle in the parking lot. Look to your right, and there is a trailhead. I believe that is the freeride area. Also from that lot, I think you can get to it by taking the east rim trail. It should be the first right you can make off of the trail. Of course, I could also be way off!

Singletrack Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by shalesjr
    This definately seems to becoming more of a trend lately at coon. I've had many of the same experiences. Downhillers bombing down with no etiquette whatsoever. We're all out there for the same thing. Step off the trail, let a group cruise through, hop on, and ride again. What, you lost 10 seconds of riding time??

As far as headphones go, to each his own. No need to dawg someone for their own personal preference in riding, but keep the volume down so you can at least hear someone when they're on your wheel.

Cheers
    Totally agree with you about keeping the volume down! I am not dawgn' them, to each his own.

mtbr member
    If you park at the east overlook go halfway around the circle in the parking lot. Look to your right, and there is a trailhead. I believe that is the freeride area. Also from that lot, I think you can get to it by taking the east rim trail. It should be the first right you can make off of the trail. Of course, I could also be way off!

That is actually just a connector trail, or 'warm up' trail. The only freeride are at racoon is the chunky and the lower chunky. The lower chunky can be accessed from the gravel road. Look to your right and you'll see some power lines. The lower chunky trail isn't very obvious, but dips in right there (on the right when going down the gravel road).