mtbr member

Best Route from B'Ham, AL to Asheville, NC?

Headed to Tsali and the Nationals in June. What is the best route to take? I59 through Chatanooga then over the Smokey's or through Atlanta on 85 to Spartanburg, SC area then north on i26? Just curious on different insights out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I would go through Atlanta to avoid I-40 as it crosses the Smokey's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

my route

the route i have taken on a couple of occassions is:

I-59 to I-24 (Chattanooga) then east to I-40, then exit off on Hwy 64 that will take you to the Ocoee (very nice scenic route). Hwy 64 turns into 74 and takes you through the Nantahala gorge and then Tsali is about 10 miles out of the gorge (you have to turn onto Hwy 29 (i think thats the right Hwy #) and is really easy to find. Hwy 74 will take you all the way to Asheville. Tsali is about 1 - 1.5 hours away from Asheville.

I dont know if this is the fastest route, but it is the most scenic and is an easy drive.

If I didnt go that way, Id go through Atlanta.

the #1 Stunna'
    I lived in Ahseville for a long time and with family in Bham, i would suggest fot the quickest route, to take 85 up to 26, it is pretty direct, and not that bad of a drive. The other way, Will take you longer, plus that means you get to drive through the great smokies, and well they are not that great, esspecilay with gas at $3. MtBikeJoe is right about the senic part, but it sure is not faster. It is up to you, but i would defanatly suggest the first.

And if you are good with directions,
    3. Interstate 85 NORTN.
    4. Left fork onto I-985 NORTH toward GAINESVILLE - go 24.4 mi
    5. I-985 NORTH becomes GAINESVILLE CONN[US-23] - go 7.6 mi
    6. Continue to follow US-23 NORTH - go 24.1 mi
    7. US-23 NORTH becomes US-441 NORTH - go 40.3 mi
    8. US-441 NORTH becomes GEORGIA RD[US-441-BUS] - go 0.5 mi
    9. Bear Right to follow US-441-BUS NORTH - go 0.7 mi
    10. Turn Left on HARRISON AVE[NC-28] - go 0.8 mi
    11. Continue to follow NC-28 EAST - go 19.9 mi
    12. Turn Right on GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS EXPY[US-19] - go 0.4 mi
    13. Continue to follow US-19 NORTH - go 5.5 mi
    14. Turn Left on EVERETT ST[NC-1364] - go 0.3 mi
    15. Arrive at the center of BRYSON CITY, NC

From Bryson City, NC, follow US 19/74 (Great Smoky Mountains Expressway) to intersection with NC 28 north. Follow NC 28 north about 3 miles (through heavy construction; this road is being widened to four lanes) to the sign for the Tsali Recreation Area; turn right. Follow this newly paved road to the campground and trailhead parking lot; park in the lot signed "Riders Park and Pay Here."
    I has Bikes