mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Best riding near to Gainesville?

I have a conference at Gainesville in a few weeks and was wondering what the riding was like in that part of the world? It would mean hiring a bike, but I'd have a car so would have some travel options.

Doesn't have to be anything amazing - I'd settle for a dry trail in the sunshine to be honest, given that I've not seen either in the UK for 6 months. But it would have to be straighforward navigation - wouldn't have the time for anything serious out in the backwoods. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I was in a similar position last summer. I was visiting my in-laws in Gainesville for 5 days, and had never been there.

I rented a Scott 29er at a shop right near the university - can't remember the name. They were a pleasure to deal with. They didn't have a rental fleet, but they pulled a brand new MTB and a road bike of the rack and rented them to me daily.

I rode a little trail called The Rock, mainly because it was easy riding distance from my in-laws' house. It was actually fun, if not very challenging. I ended up riding it 3 times since it was so close, and I could do multiple laps depending on how much time I had.

I also drove to San Felasco and rode 20+ miles in there, including the parts advertised as the more advanced trails. Again, nothing crazily difficult, but plenty of fun.

And if you like beer, and find yourself anywhere near Swamp Head Brewery, that place is worth a stop.

\m/{-_-}\m/

Best riding near to Gainesville?

San Felasco is the place to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Burn View Post
    San Felasco is the place to go.
    LMAO, I had a reply all typed out as I thought he was refering to Gainesville, Georgia lol. Would have suggested Chicopee. I started to get excited about some new and exciting places to ride lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the replies - San Felasco looks like a good place to investigate.

It is Gainesville Florida I'm interested in - should have specified that sry. I forget the US is so big there's normally a few places with the same name across the states

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    San Felasco, Santos, and the Rock are the most well known and easiest to get to.
    The Rock is local around 6 miles
    San Felasco is in Alachua about a half hour drive, as many miles as you want. Fun place to ride.
    Santos is what some regard as the best mountain biking in Florida, only about 30-45min from Gainesville

There are many good shops in Gainesville only a few rent though.
    PM me if you want a few more pointers, I'm a local.

Cannondale Snob
    Santos is also IMDB rated the #2 MTB Park in the US... If you like advanced stuff, park at the Vortex trail-head and find someone to show you the Vortex Rim Trail with all the options.

Photo courtesy of Steve Z Photography ( Steve Z PhotoBlog: Travel Photography, Boulder Sports, Randomness | Steve Zdawczynski | Photographer | Adventurer | Yogi )
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

turtles make me hot
    I think it's about 90 miles from Gainsville to Ocala but it's totally worth it. Place rocks.
    I've driven the 80 or 90 miles there from Orlando.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    JBone:

More like 40-45 miles to Santos. I ride there all the time. I'd be happy to ride with you on a Fri, Sat or Sun. What level rider are you?

PM me and maybe we can get together. You will love Santos. Worth the trip!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    "Whenever I'm in Gainesville I go to Santos" - The Most Interesting Man In The World

There are all levels of riding there, easy to insane, very well marked, free. There's a shop very near there but not sure about the rentals aspect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Ended up getting a hire bike from supercool bikes on University Ave - v friendly and helpful guys there. Got a spesh carbon stumpy 29er and took it to San Felasco for a decent circuit. Lovely riding - pretty smooth going but great scenery in the woods and sunshine. Bit of a Blair Witch vibe going on there though - Even with a map took a wrong turn off the conquistador loop cos it all looks the same.

Back to the rain, mud and rocks of the UK Peak District now