mtbr member
    Dec 2003

The Best Florida Video yet? (Alafia)

It takes a while to load, if you use a dial up it may take all day, but man it's worth it!

http://jeremyzoerman.com/Brandon/Rid...ur_Life_VI.wmv

Thanks to Brandon for doing it right
    Last edited by Redriderpro; 04-05-2006 at 07:46 PM.

Hard as nails

Schweet Vid man!

I was out there (Alafia) Saturday with some buds of mine the day you were filming. Great looking video. Whats next? Reddick? Carter Road? Santos? Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Nice video. that looks like a really fun section of trails. Just curious, though, I thought I saw that tail referenced as "black diamond" on another post. Not to take away from the trail- It looks like a blast, but surely people aren't considering those black diamond difficulty.

mtbr member
    The 'black diamond' trails at Alafia are easier than the difficult trails at Santos, TOE, and Markham (3 of the parks in Florida that have the most difficult trails IMO) - but that doesn't make them any less fun - they are some of my favorite in the state.

Where is my mind?
    ChipV, don't take this as a confrontation. Because I'm new to this level of trail riding I started the black diamond thread to get some comparative info. In part to help plan some out of state trips, in part to see how much more gruesome these trials can get. While I think the video is great, riding Alafia is still another experience (you couldn't possibly fit the whole park in a 3 minute video). But then, I suppose you can say that about all the other trails (black diamond or otherwise).

What kind of trails are you used to?

I donít think anyone is saying Alafia or the rest of the Florida trails are the same as Whistler or Moab. Enough people do find them challenging. I guess the only way to find out is to compare them yourself. I was actually hoping to hit the Tennessee trails this past weekend (I noticed that's your stomping grounds) unfortunately the weather forecast killed that plan. Hopefully I'll head out there in a couple of months and check those out for myself.

yeah, uh............bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by BillT
    The 'black diamond' trails at Alafia are easier than the difficult trails at Santos, TOE, and Markham (3 of the parks in Florida that have the most difficult trails IMO) - but that doesn't make them any less fun - they are some of my favorite in the state.
    I don't think that the Alafia trails are easier than Santos or Markham (only ridden TOE once). Unless you are considering the drops and jumps part of the trail at Santos, or the crime scene drop at Markham, I would say that the expert trails at Alafia are the steepest, and most dangerous trails in FL.

Cool video btw, very nice quality and editing.

bob
    mtbr member
    I just wanted to comment on the black diamond topic. Keep in mind that nothing ever looks as steep as it really is on film or in picutres. I also think most of the video is Alafia in general not just the black diamond stuff. I don't think Chip was off base with his observation.

I consider myself fairly skilled but there are a few steeps at Alafia I will not ride. For anyone who hasn't been there, some of the hills are extremely steep with roots and rocks all the way down. As for the comparison of Alafia to Santos, other than the sick drops at Santos, there is nothing I won't ride there. The new red loop around the vortex area is awesome!

mtbr member
    The only reason why I said that I felt Alafia was easier (though just as fun) was because I have cleaned everything on all the trails there (Moonscape, Roller Coaster, Rock Garden, Brides, Frank's, etc) at one point or another while there are still some things on the red trails at Santos and some spots at the TOE that I haven't done yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    It wasn't my intention to take anything away from the trail or the video. Both looked great and it looks like Florida definately hs some trails that will keep you on your toes (or on your butt in the swamp!). I also realize the videos do not do justice to most trails.

As far as what we have around here- N.GA, TN, NC: very little black diamond. In fact, off the top of my head I would say Windorck is the only black Diamond within 100 miles. That's not to say there aren't certain local lines, drops, etc that are black diamond difficulty, but they are scattered and typically not on the main trails.

I suppose calling something "Black Diamond" is relevant. It's like classifying rapids- one mans class III is another mans V. Personally, I don't care what you call it- it looks like a blast to ride.