mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Badger at Raccoon Mountain?

Alright, crazy as this sounds, I believe there is a badger living at Raccoon Mountain. We've seen him in the same place two mornings in a row. If you leave East Overlook going counter-clockwise, you'll pass the entrance to Chunky and then eventually come to a nice rounded boulder which you ride over. We've spotted him right in the middle of the trail, just past that boulder, at about 6:30 AM yesterday and today. He runs on the trail for a good ways right in front of us and then eventually turns up towards the brow. I'd describe him as looking like a skunk, but without the pronounced white stripe on his back and without a big bushy tail. Here's a picture of one I dug up online that looks pretty similar, though the one we saw is predominantly black:

So, I didn't know we had badgers around here. The picture above is what is referred to as a "honey badger", and they live in Africa. Wikipedia does mention "American badgers", but they aren't all black (with limited white markings) like this guy is.

Anyone else seen him?

re member
    "Badgers? We don't need no stinkin' Badgers!"
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Badgers are found through the central western Canadian provinces, and throughout the western United States, and down into the mountainous areas of Mexico.

You probably saw a ground hog, their habitat includes the central and eastern US and across Canada. They are quite common here in the southeast.
    Never Forget

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonslayer
    Badgers are found through the central western Canadian provinces, and throughout the western United States, and down into the mountainous areas of Mexico.

You probably saw a ground hog, their habitat includes the central and eastern US and across Canada. They are quite common here in the southeast.
    Good thought, but I'm fairly certain it was not a ground hog (I see them all of the time around our house). This thing was certainly predominantly black and much leaner looking than your average ground hog. Size wise it was very similar to a skunk.

Any other ideas?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by architectx
    Any other ideas?

Chupacabra!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by architectx
    This thing was certainly predominantly black and much leaner looking than your average ground hog. Size wise it was very similar to a skunk.

Any other ideas?
    Maybe, he was lean from all the trail running he does.
    Never Forget

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Could it possibly have been a river otter? The main identifier would seem to be the tail.

They have been seen up on Lewis Chapel mountain, on Barker's Camp Road, a good distance away from any creek, stream or pond. So maybe it is possible that a river otter is hanging out that far away from the lake on top of the mountain.

Take a camera with you and try to snap a photo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by schaarschmidt
    Could it possibly have been a river otter? The main identifier would seem to be the tail.
    Well, that's a fair guess, but I don't think so. This critter had a relatively short tail, maybe 4 inches or so. He was also jet black with a few white markings (river otters are typically brown and void of distinct white marks).

I'm pretty sure he was a badger. The two guys riding with me seem to agree. I know they aren't native to the area, but maybe someone had it as a pet and released it or something.

Lots of skunks out these days too, seem to see them most every morning now.

Bike Addiction
    Badger describes my wifes' attitude but her discription is white with a red face, most of the time. Couldn't have been her and she also would have yelled at you that mtbiking takes up to much of your time and money
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by 00sable
    Badger describes my wifes' attitude but her discription is white with a red face, most of the time. Couldn't have been her and she also would have yelled at you that mtbiking takes up to much of your time and money

ROFLMFAO!!!
    Nothing to see here.

Bike Addiction
    Glad you enjoyed, I'll be here for life!
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Another possibility is a ferret. They are often seen just after dawn or at dusk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mu...putorius-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zyzbot
    Another possibility is a ferret. They are often seen just after dawn or at dusk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mu...putorius-1.jpg
    Maybe...

Do they get bigger than the variety one usually sees at pet stores and such? This thing was more like a skunk in size (larger than any ferret I've seen). Also, do they come in black?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Otters and ferrets have generally the same body type, including a similar tail, with otters being larger and ferrets having a longer body. They both come in a pretty broad spectrum of colors including very dark browns which might be mistaken for black in the early morning hours.

That said, I think I have come up with another possiblity... a wolverine. Sure they are not native to the south, but maybe it is down here on vacation.

mtbr member
    WOLVERINES!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Maybe the correct answer is the simplest?

Maybe it is just an all black or nearly all black skunk. A Google search resulted in these two pictures. Same skunk, different angles.

I found a few message boards where people mention all black or nearly all black skunks. So it appears that is one possibly, and probably more likely than a wolverines (though not nearly as cool!).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by schaarschmidt
    I found a few message boards where people mention all black or nearly all black skunks. So it appears that is one possibly, and probably more likely than a wolverines (though not nearly as cool!).
    Okay, that may well be the case. An almost all black skunk who somehow lost part of his tail (this critter certainly didn't have the big bushy tail you usually see on skunks).

Still though, I like the wolverine idea.

Singletrack Slayer
    I remember seeing one like that a few weeks ago and I though skunk and high tailed it out of there. Same spot u mentioned
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~