Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Backdoor Riding in Southeast

I'm looking for some suggestions on a good place down south that I can both ride to work (densely populated) but also ride to the trails.

I'd like to move somewhere warmer, but only if I can ride an EPIC right out my back door. I've heard that Ocala, FL and the Florida Central Greenway, Santos Trails provides lots of mileage for the Ocala/Belleview area.

Tallahasse has the St Marks Trail and lots of urban green areas.

Asheville has greenways, but doesn't appear to have a trail connecting to Pisgah.

I can't tell if Chattanooga has "ride from you back door" types of trails or not.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Tallahassee is pretty good, pretty much from anywhere in town you can ride relatively easy to singletrack. If you're on the east side of town, Tom Brown is right there and Fern Trail makes it even more accessible. If you're downtown or on the southside of town, you can easily take the St Marks trail to Munson/Twilight. There are smaller single track areas like San Louis and the trail off Timberlane School road that are convenient to some. Redbug and Overstreet are convient to the NE side of town.

Jackalope Hunter
    There is a bunch of nice property in the Ocala/Belleview area that would be close to Santos, fitting your bill quite nicely...
    B Team represent

OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Huntsville, AL

Huntsville has some great places to ride that can be out the back door. Monte Sano and the Land Trust are next to each other and you can put together at least a 30 mile route without riding the same trail twice or having to ride on the road. If you don't mind riding the same trail twice then you can link several more miles.

I have also heard rumors about the possibility of a lot of new trails being planned within city limits.

The Voice of Reason
    gainesville, fl. has a bunch of trails scattered around town (so i'm told. i haven't ridden there). being a college town it's pretty easy to get around by bike.
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

white boy extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody View Post
    I'm looking for some suggestions on a good place down south that I can both ride to work (densely populated) but also ride to the trails.

Asheville has greenways, but doesn't appear to have a trail connecting to Pisgah.

I can't tell if Chattanooga has "ride from you back door" types of trails or not.
    If you live in the Bent Creek area in Asheville, you have all of Pisgah at your back door. They have an unofficial neighborhood trail that connects to the 40 miles of trail in bent creek experimental forest (several big climbs and subsequent downhills with tons of rhodo and mtn laurel tunnels on the lower stuff) and if you ride up and over the Blue Ridge Parkway via forest road, you have all you could want and more. However, bike accessible industry will be your biggest limiter there I would think, no much to speak of on this side of Asheville but there are a few places.

If you can score a job in Brevard, NC, it is a small town with a trail that connects to pisgah from the city. It is becoming a hopping little place and has a college there along with a few other hiring entities (i.e. a hospital). It is more considered the hub of WNC mtbing than Asheville would be.

Chattanooga has several trail networks that can be accessed from a neighborhood, but most of them aren't close enough to connect together. Lookout mtn would be your best bet, but it is pricey up there with the exception of a few areas. There will be close to 35 miles of trails up there (20+ now) when the building is done that connects a land trust to a state park (both of which are highly worthwhile but offer little riding). My understanding that the long term goal is to connect a pedestrian greenway all the way from downtown
    Chatt to this area but this is 5-10+ years down the road. Raccoon mtn (elder mtn community is pricey and lookout valley area is more affordable) but would offer the highest quality trails to ride from your house but a little bit of road would be necessary from your house. White Oak Mtn is a nice network, climby and flowy, and it has a small neighborhood at its foot. In just about the center of town, 9-10 miles of trail will be opening up (next coupla months), and this is where most of the jobs are located as well. From the center of town, with a good road portion, several of the aforementioned areas are accessible with a good hunk of road riding 5-13 miles.
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

-the Dude

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You are crazy if you are thinking of moving somewhere in the se regarding mtb and you are considering somewhere other than asheville, brevard, greenville. Moving to florida to mountain bike is like moving to michigan to surf.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Greenville? Paris Mountain is nice, but I don't think that puts you in the same league as Brevard or Asheville. You'd be doing a lot of driving from Greenville to get to the Pisgah goods.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member
    Birmingham/Pelham Alabama. IMBA Epic Oak mtn, a few minutes away, everything else within a few miles.......Great riding weather, hot summers, fairly mild winters. We truly experience all four seasons.....

Go make a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by Megashnauzer View Post
    gainesville, fl. has a bunch of trails scattered around town (so i'm told. i haven't ridden there). being a college town it's pretty easy to get around by bike.
    You may want to clarify that you're talking about Gainesville, FL.

Gainesville, GA also has some really good riding and is MUCH closer to the mountains for the day trip / weekend trip stuff.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

Go make a difference
    Chattanooga, Asheville, Brevard are tops for riding if you want city life. There are things in the works for Chatty to connect downtown to some of the trails via path.

Ellijay, Ducktown, Blue Ridge are tops if you're good with the small town set up.

Knoxville has great riding in town and is a very short drive to the Ocoee (Ducktown) area, Big South Fork (new IMBA Epic), Chattanooga, Pisgah, and more.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!