mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Auburn Ga area until the 1/6/14 want to mtb and RR

Hey guys in the Auburn GA area. looking for good place to ride and get on some local club rides. wiling to drive dont mind. got my road bike and MTB with me.. been down before but never this long i have gone to Tribble and harbins park fun and very diff then i am use to. More technical the better but just want to get out and ride new terrain. reach out if you want to ride or give me idea on plades to ride thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Fort Yargo in Winder is closest, but. has a fee.
    Chicopee in Gaineville
    Oconee Heritage Park outside Athens
    Blankets and Big Creek on the north side
    Dausett is a little far but worth it for me when I'm in Auburn. Ha

There's more but I'm sure others will chime in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Ft. Yargo is $5 parking fee and $2 bike fee
    Heritage is pretty old school and chunky. I like it.

mtbr member
    Harbins Park in Lawrenceville is close, has some decent trails. There are equestrian trails there as well, so take a look at the trail map to get an idea of where they are. You can really scare the crap out of a horse if you aren't looking out for them.
    If you are looking for some group rides, check Apalachee Cycle in Auburn. Bruce is a pretty good guy, and they ride often. The schedule is on the web site. apalacheecycle com
    I asked God for a bike, but I know he doesn't work that way so I stole a bike & asked for forgiveness.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    cool thanks for heads up guys

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Welcome to my neck of the woods. I live about 5 miles from Harbins and 7 from Yargo.

Here is the best source of group ride info:
    Gwinnett Area Trail Riders: G.A.T.R. | A Chapter of S.O.R.B.A
    https://www.facebook.com/SORBAGATR
    Good group of guys and girls. I go to the night rides if it isn't too cold. ETA it looks like they don't have anything going on over the holidays.

Apalachee Cycle and Bruce are great. If nothing else stop by and say "hi". They are in downtown Dacula. Dacula is just a few miles west of Auburn on Ga 8. I am not seeing any mountain bike rides however. More of a summer thing with them.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Apala...e/131756142053
    Apalachee Cycle Home Page

The trails at Harbins are pretty well marked as to where you aren't supposed to ride. There is only one place where I have gotten on the horse trails, and that's just because I wasn't paying attention.

I like Yargo a lot. More of a workout than Harbins, and a lot bigger than Tribble Mill. You can avoid the $5 fee by parking in Winder then riding a mile back to the park. Stop by the office to get your pass. After 5 PM when the office is closed, you don't need the $2 pass. Just go ahead and ride. You can ride at night so long you are out of the park by 10 PM btw.

I agree about Heritage park. It's like the Monster Mile at Yargo, except the whole trail is challenging. There is a new trail out that way in Athens -- Trail Creek. Not worth the trip IMO but worth it for sure if you are going to Athens anyway. It is longer than 1.7 mi. I think we got in about 3 mi. Trails - SORBA Athens

I have never ridden at Watson Mill, but have been there just to hike and see the cool bridge and dam. I didn't see much that would be fun to bike, but the other stuff is worth seeing. It is a ways out there however. In the summer it is fun to play on the rocks below the dam. There is a rock slide there, worn very smooth from people's butts over the last 150 years.

Another state park that is WORTH the drive is Unicoi in Helen. It used to be the site of a big-deal NORBA race. They still run one of the Ga Cup races there. It is only about 7 miles, and most of the trail is pretty wide and not technically difficult, but it is scenic and a real workout. It is the only place I have truly been mountain biking.

I'm trying to stay unemployed thru the new year holidays and will be riding as much as family stuff permits. PM me if you have any questions or need anything. We can exchange cell phone#s and can meet up if you want. I am in my 50s but average in the low 9s at Harbins if it isn't too cold. I suspect that the trails will be pretty busy over the holidays so you should have no problem hooking up with someone if you don't want to ride alone.
    Last edited by DennisF; 12-27-2013 at 05:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Dennis thanks for the info will have to check into couple been to Harbin i like it very diff then i am used to up north. i am used to all rock and roots and technical so it is kind of nice to be on smooth stuff down here pretty fun. will pm you i am going to try to get out and ride tomorrow not sure where though yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you live in Auburn then you probably already know Chewacla is very close. I rode there once this summer and enjoyed it. The local club has built some cool wooden features at the entrance.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shellshocked View Post
    If you live in Auburn then you probably already know Chewacla is very close. I rode there once this summer and enjoyed it. The local club has built some cool wooden features at the entrance.
    Had to look that one up. OP is asking Auburn, Ga. I might have to check it out sometime on one of my trip north. Always looking for places to ride in Alabama. Looks like a cool state park.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    looks cool but little to far from were i am in GA

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Oops - my fault. Saw Auburn and thought Alabama... I live in Roswell (North Atlanta) and live five minutes from Big Creek. If you are up for a little drive Blankets Creek would be worth the drive - one of my favorites.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Wife and I rode Ft. Yargo a year back. Had a blast. IMO worth the fee. Same trip we also rode Watson Mill, not really worth going their just to bike. The bridge and falls are cool but the trails are really doubletrack with not many miles of it.