Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Atlanta as a MTB destination?

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  ilewis33 
#1 ·
I've lived and ridden in Atlanta for a number of years now. Having also lived and ridden in Colorado and California, I never considered Atlanta a mountain bike mecca.

Don't get me wrong, we've got some great trail systems on the north side of the city. I live in the northeast suburbs and have several enjoyable trails within 25 minutes of my house, with several more within an hour. The trails that are closest are all...I'm not sure of the correct term...designed? They are purposefully built and maintained mountain bike trails -- extremely well designed to make maximum use of the available terrain. These are trail systems that many in the Southeast have heard of: Blankets Creek, Rope Mill, Chicopee Woods, Ft. Yargo, Harbins Park, Georgia International Horse Park, etc.

Then, heading a bit further north, we have some of our more adventurous trails. Bull and Jake Mt., Bear Creek/Pinhoti, etc. Another hour away (2:15 for me) is Pisgah and Dupont -- mecca.

So I've always considered the Atlanta suburb trails as fun little local jaunts to build fitness and skills in between trips to the "real" trails like Pinhoti, Pisgah, and the rest of WNC.

Until recently, that is. Recently, I've heard of more than a few people coming to north Georgia specifically to ride. Comments like "I looked at the map and there is a TON of riding around Atlanta" and "North Georgia is on my bucket list to ride." coming from people who live a loooong way away.

So is Atlanta really a destination MTB area? I doubt it but I may be spoiled by proximity.

See less See more
#2 ·
I lived in ATL for three years. most of the good trails required a bit of driving, but I could drive less than one hour each way and ride a different trail every day for at least a week and not repeat the same stuff. most of the good stuff that I rode is north or east of the city. Harbins, Yargo, Big Creek, Yellow River, etc. I regularly rode all of the smaller trail systems in the city too and had a blast. the climate is a little bit milder than what I have here in Texas and I loved camping in the mountains.

#4 ·
A direct result of the sissification of "mountain bikers" and hence "mountain biking". The entry ticket to being rad is super cheap these days. Pretty much free. My mother in law lives in Dunwoody, and upon a recent visit, I realized she was super close to a trail system, whose name escapes me, so I rode it. And it was fun. I was glad to have it. And I'll go back. But I'd never, ever go if it were not for my MIL.

#5 ·
I wish I knew about all these trails when I lived there. Well, I wasn't really as into the sport then as I am now. Pretty much the only trail system I knew was near Roswell Mill, if I remember that name correctly. I lived right across the street from it and would ride it occasionally on my old Mongoose. I still have some friends in ATL and will definitely take my much better current bike with me on my next trip to GA.

I'd love to see how riding the trails down there compares with a nicer bike, as well as seeing how it goes riding the old trail in Milledgeville that got me into MTB in the first place if it still exists.

I never thought of ATL as a MTB Mecca, or even having a really good MTB scene at all, but then again I was a beginner and didn't ride at every opportunity like I do now. Perhaps I'll look you up next time I go to visit family and friends and see if you wanna introduce me to some of these places.

#7 ·
Not Atl, per se, but N. GA has always been a destination for me. I went to school in Atl. in the early '90's (GO JACKETS!!) and often rode up in Ellijay. Later, my friend who remained in Atl. discovered all the trails that you mentioned like Bull, Bear, Fort Mt., Windy Gap, Chicopee, and Carter's Lake.
Then more Ohio riders wanted to come down and we hit Pinhote, went up to Tsali, and then places up near Blue Ridge, GA like Flat Creek and Stanley Gap (aka Aska Rd.)/Green Mt., then up into TN at the Ocoee Whitewater Center and Big South Fork (which I wouldn't call a destination, but it was on the way). For me, GA was always about super-speedway type trails and HUGE climbs (compared to PA rocks, or OH's narrow tree mazes with short, punchy climbs).

There's quite a group from here that goes down for the Snake Creek Gap TT's. I need to see the Pinhote trail again - the whole thing! I need a little more time to train to make it fun.

-F

#9 ·
I live and ride in Atlanta on most of the trails you mentioned but I enjoy reading and thinking about getting out of Atlanta and doing something different. Not that I get to adventure too far.

If I were going to travel to ride I'd head to Utah, Oregon, Colorado, New Zealand...

I think that the appeal for a lot of the non local trails that I've ridden in the last year or two is that it is not my regular trail and therefore I don't know every rock and root.

Go Jackets!

Chem and I got out in '80

#10 ·
Atlanta has a great suburban trail system. Perfect for after work or weekend morning rides. 2 hours and out. They will never be a destination location unless you are visiting relatives or you're here for business.

As you know, the destination rides are 3 hours away in Brevard.

#11 ·
I don't think areas like Atlanta will ever become ride destinations but I do think it's great that as our sport grows, we have advocacy groups and trail building groups that are adding more and more infrastructure in areas people live and recreate. I would be thrilled if I lived in an area not commonly known as a mountain bike destination but that was adding to my available riding areas. Score for you!

#12 ·
I grew up in central Florida and then moved to Southern California. I rode moderately in both locations before moving to metro Atlanta in 2007. I've ridden here more than I did in both of my previous locales. We really do have some great trails here, but they're smaller rides, on very well maintained trails. I can take my pick of 4 trail systems within a 30 min (or less) drive from my house: Alatoona Creek, Blankets Creek, Rope Mill & Big Creek. If I want to go for more of a drive, I can do everything else mentioned above. The key is that I can go ride all the time. Year round.

Its not nearly as glamorous as Tsali, Dupont, Asheville etc. let alone the marquee destinations, but we do have some great rides. I think the other important thing is that within the 8 years I've been here, we have had at least 5 new trails built, countless demos from manufacturers and lots of support local shops and clubs. The more I ride the more folks I come into contact with that HAVE come to Atlanta from other areas because of our trail systems. I believe that within another 5 years we will become a mountain biking destination.

#13 ·
Trail mileage is growing, new trails are being added, there are good trails on all sides of town. (a little sparse on the south side maybe). I think Atlanta is a good "live-bike" destination - probably not the place you're going to organize a vacation to, but in terms of living somewhere where you hold a decent job and have trails close by, I do think it's a destination in that sense.

I have 27 local trails listed on MTBAtlanta.com - Mountain Biking Destinations in Atlanta, GA with another 7 daytrips. And that really just focuses on defined, contained loop trail systems, I don't really list the stuff like Pinhoti, etc., in any detail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.