mtbr member

Atlanta General Discussion

Discuss rides, latest trails, secret zones, etc all within 30 miles of the perimeter

I normally ride Mason Mill (sucks) , Yellow River, Sope Creek

Want to check out IRA, The Trails around Winder (tribble, harbins), and Chicopee

mtbr member
    I'm not a Harbin's fan, though I think its a good place for beginners.

Tribble Mill almost necessitates a guide. Markings/Directions are non-existant.

Fort Yargo is fun, but they discriminate against trail riders by charging them (and only them) a fee.

Big Creek is smallish, but has a good downhill section.

GIHP is worth a visit, but I'm not a big fan due to the limited mileage.

Chicopee and Blankets are probably the best overall trail systems 'closest' to the perimeter.

If you want to scout further, Dauset is worth the trip.

Peachtree City has some good trails, but you also really need a guide..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Disagree about Harbins. It's very worthy even for experienced riders. It's got some decent variety. Several fun downhill options on MB4. MB5 has some nice flow and can give you a workout. MB2-3 are twisty/rooty with some dippity-doos here and there. About 17 miles of trails.

Agree about Chicopee and Blankets. They rock.

Don't forget Fort Yargo in your "trails around Winder" since I think it's the only trail actually in Winder. Harbins and Tribble Mill are closer to the perimeter by about 8-10 miles. (Lawrenceville/Dacula)

mtbr member
    Any of y'all ride Henderson?

mtbr member
    Big Creek, Blanket's, and when I get to Augusta, FATS. These trails are quite worthy.

What are we talking about again? :-)
    ~Cadillac
    Iconic, Fat and Slow. - Not in that order.
    Bikes:
    ***'03 Marin Quad (Fully Squishy)
    ***Giant CFR (Road)

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Rope mill as an alternative to Blankets - nice swoopy xc trails. Parking can be an issue...

Bro Mountainbiker
    Disagree about Dauset! Those trails blow!

Blankets and chicopee rock,
    sope creek and big creek are my main choices when I dont want to drive much.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Disagree about Dauset! Those trails blow!
    How so? You are the first person I've ever heard say something even REMOTELY negative about Dauset. Not one bad review on Singletracks either.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Slee_Stack View Post
    How so? You are the first person I've ever heard say something even REMOTELY negative about Dauset. Not one bad review on Singletracks either.
    Well, saying "they blow" is probably a bit dramatic. Lets just say I was disappointed after reading the reviews, then seeing the trails for myself.

The two main kickers for me are
    1. Not a lot of flow. Dont mind the roots and rocks... I actually love tech. But none of the descents were smile evoking IMO.
    2. Not labeled very well. A lot of the intersections are labelled, but many are not. It makes it easy to get turned around.

I did enjoy the variety. You have rooty, rocky trails and you also have smooth and fast trails as well. They also have a lot of milage which is a major plus.

I guess standards are a bit high after riding great systems like Oak Mountain, Coldwater Mtn, Yargo, Blankets, Chicopee, and spots around West NC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Well, saying "they blow" is probably a bit dramatic. Lets just say I was disappointed after reading the reviews, then seeing the trails for myself.

The two main kickers for me are
    1. Not a lot of flow. Dont mind the roots and rocks... I actually love tech. But none of the descents were smile evoking IMO.
    2. Not labeled very well. A lot of the intersections are labelled, but many are not. It makes it easy to get turned around.

I did enjoy the variety. You have rooty, rocky trails and you also have smooth and fast trails as well. They also have a lot of milage which is a major plus.

I guess standards are a bit high after riding great systems like Oak Mountain, Coldwater Mtn, Yargo, Blankets, Chicopee, and spots around West NC.
    I don't disagree. Dauset is more fun when you have a good route to go by. A first timer even with a map, will have to stop a number of times to figure out where they are.

I view Dauset as 'old school'. Not really designed or groomed (like a Blankets) but with nice scenery, good length, and good variety. Best flow is on Brownlee (or the Indian Springs connector if you don't mind double track). Theres also a great downhill run from marker 8 to marker 3 (its actually the only non-beginner directional there), but you have to plan your ride to end up at marker 8.

Depending on my mood, Blankets, Chicopee or Dauset can be my favorite trail system around Atlanta on any given day. I really find Dauset THAT fun at times.

On a side note, I rode Oak Mtn for the first time a few weekends back and had fun, but not as much fun as I probably should have. We wound up riding up Johnston's Mtn and up past Blood Rock. 4 miles of climb, climb, climb. Then a lot of BORING downhill on red road (kinda ZERO reward for the earlier climb), although the west ridge side trail was a hoot. The opposite direction would have been much more fun..

I bet you would have enjoyed Dauset more if you had a good route to follow. I've just been there enough times to know where to go and where not to (ie, Pine Mtn is pretty bleh...)

Bro Mountainbiker
    [QUOTE=Slee_Stack;10463173]

On a side note, I rode Oak Mtn for the first time a few weekends back and had fun, but not as much fun as I probably should have. We wound up riding up Johnston's Mtn and up past Blood Rock. 4 miles of climb, climb, climb. Then a lot of BORING downhill on red road (kinda ZERO reward for the earlier climb), although the west ridge side trail was a hoot. The opposite direction would have been much more fun..
    /QUOTE]

I agree about the connector trail to indian springs. That was fun.

The route you took at OMSP is what we call the Reverser. You gotta admit descending johnsons mountain was fun! But I agree, the climb up bump trail/blood rock then descending the fire road sucks. The climb isnt bad, but that fire road is a total waste of elevation change.

If you ever go back, climb the fire road climb and descend jeckel and hyde, or blood rock/bump trail. Or better yet, double back and do both of those trails.

If you are feeling balsy, after the fire road climb, take Boulder ridge on the right of the fire road, and after than take West Ridge on the left for fun, extremely technical rocky singletrack that will take you to blood rock area. Its tough but it keeps you off the fire road.

mtbr member
    I think the best route at Oak Mtn is to park at the south trailhead, climb Jekyll&Hyde, descend BUMP trail, clockwise loop, then descend Jekyll & Hyde. Throw in the BoyScout Rd climb and descent down the Lightning (Flow) trail in the middle of the loop and you have yourself about 30 miles and one hell of a good day.

Being from Florida, I haven't ridden everything up that way, but have hit Chiccopee, Ft Yargo, Blankets, Dauset, Big Creek, Yellow River, and Conyers (this is exactly how I would rank them with Chiccopee being my favorite, by far).

Within a 2.5 hr from Downtown, I have hit Pinhotti, Coldwater Mtn, Oak Mtn, Raccoon Mtn, and FATS (ranked in that order; there is nothing short of "excellent" on this list). Part of the Pinhotti (Bear Creek, P1, P2, & P3) is one of the very best sections I have ridden in the Southeast and certainly within my top 5 trails anywhere, especially when combined with a stay at Mulberry Gap Mountain Bike Bed-n-breakfast.

You guys sure are lucky to have such a variety of quality trails within a short drive.