mtbr member
    Nov 2005

ATL guys- tire recommendations?

I also posted this in the "Wheels and Tires" forum, but I figured I'd also check with some people who ride the same trails I do. Looking to upgrade my tires- here is the situation:

BIKE- 2011 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon EVO 29er.

RIDER- 6í0Ē, 190 lbs. Experienced recreational rider, very fit. I like to go pretty fast. I pick good lines and ride fairly light, generally donít go crashing through big stuff. For climbs I tend to stand and hammer rather than sit and spin. I like doing jumps and hops on descents, but I donít do big drops or anything.

TERRAIN- I do most of my riding on the intermediate and advanced trails at Blankets Creek and Big Creek. Van Michael trail is my favorite local. Sope Creek is basically in my backyard and I ride there a lot too. Mostly packed red clay, some loose dusty stuff. Lots of tree roots, exposed shale, and some rocks up to baseball/softball size.

SETUP- Stock SWorks Renegade tires, with tubes. After reading the ďstickyĒ thread on tire pressure, I run as low as possible (which has been an amazing improvement). Typically 26-28 PSI front and back.

DESIRED CHANGE- The Renegades are light and fast rolling, which is nice. For dry conditions, they do pretty well. The back tire spins out more than I would like when climbing in loose stuff. If itís wet, forget about itÖ they are bad in mud, and riding over roots and rock is like riding over ice. I have had a couple of BIG wipeouts going over wet roots. So Iím looking for something that runs well at low pressure, has much better wet grip over roots and rocks, yet is still relatively light and fast.

So what are you local guys rolling? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I run Continental race king rear and mountain king front. I never have any issues in any of my races/rides with traction. I feel the mountain king is too slow for a rear but is great upfront. I just got a new racing ralph set and am curious to compare.

I did learn when riding a 29er on loose climbs you need to keep a good bit of weight back to prevent spins since the seat is not as over the wheel as a 26. So think about your riding style as well when it comes to climbing grip. At times some slip is not preventable.

mtbr member
    I'm a noob here been riding sport bike all my life just got into mountain biking. I know I'm going to upgrade my tires once I get a handle on this sport.

Does anybody have good links on where to buy tires as well as other equipment for your bike?

mtbr member
    i have WTB VIGILANTE 2.3 TCS FRONT, MOTO 2.3 TCS REAR

they might be a overkill in the ATL trails, but i get extreme good traction on the moto 2.3 in the rear.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    I'm a fan of conti speed kings and small block 8s depending on conditions.

mtbr member
    I think the tires you're using have the right tread pattern for Atlanta area trails. Maybe just try something with a bit bigger treads?

I rode extensively in CA and CO before moving East and changing from paddle-style tires (Panaracer Smoke/Dart) to waffle-style (not sure what the exact terms are) made a HUGE difference. You don't need those big paddles around here, in my opinion. We don't have 6" deep fine dirt and gravel-filled trails like we did out west. I'd go with the style you have but with more aggressive treads.

I'm running old Panaracer Fire XCs and they are fantastic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Im a noob at mountain biking. But my friend hooked me up with a free set of the Maxxis Ignitors. Im running a 26er. Have had PLENTY of traction in the mud as i rode the Big Creek downhill a couple of weeks ago when it still had puddles. And rode a couple of small slippery trails up by my house and havent had a problem with mud.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    kenda slant 6. I have been riding those for a year now.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

not so super...
    My favorite 29r tire for all around hard pack performance is the Maxxis Ikon EXO. Work great in the rocks and roots and really grips in the dusty hardpack. The EXO sidewall is very durable and let's the tire work well at lower pressures.
    Nothing to see here.