Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Arachnophobia !

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Arachnophobia !

This was my most traumatic expirience on the trail. I would consider this therapy for me. Sense this is somewhat anonymous. Please understand. I must get this out of my mind.
    It may seem a bit cowardly to some but for me its not.

I've been riding for the past two years usually in late afternoon or evening before sundown. This morning I decided to get up earlier and ride a trail I don't ride often. I arrived when it opened at 8am. I was the first one there. Well, after a 1/4 mile I face planted a gargantuan spider and web that strung across the trail. The spider was about 3 inches long (humongous to me). I thought to my self, holy S*** get this f**** thing off me, as I franticly brush it of my jersey. I then proceeded on concentrating not to run into anymore. Then sure enough without exaggeration about 50 feet theres another strung across the trail. At this point I get off my bike and walk around the web staring intently at the spider, which was larger than the first. I love nature and everything but someting in my brain is telling me to quit and go back home. I thought, no I'm just being a wimp. So I get back on and ride. I'm doin great, spiders are disappearing further in the back of my mind. I'm on a nice fast downhill. Then I see it, right in front of me. Another web. I grab brakes, it wasn't quick enough. Web plastered my face and arms. I don't know where that spider went which was worse for me. I gave up and gave into my brain and took the side road back to my car and left. Yes I'm a wimp so what. I know one thing. I'm not going to be the first on the trail anymore.
    thank you for listening.
    Last edited by myfun; 07-17-2010 at 07:30 PM.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Santos Banana Spiders???????????

PK

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    YEA thats what they were. I just did a search. Thanks. now I know they are not dangerous. It was at Jonathan Dickinson State Park. At least it was a whole new riding experence on the trail. Bunch of them. Looks like OMBA in Ocala has one for their club symbol. funny

endurance xc
    I have managed to deal with spiders and ticks in a very good way now. The trick is to have it happen many times a week until you are desensitized to them. This will require some Jedi mind power, but everyone has it in them.

yeah, uh............bikes
    yep, I rode JD on july 4th weekend early in the morning and had the same experience. Ended up riding with a stick in one hand to pull down webs before my face hit them. The webs were all over the place on the south end trails.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myfun
    YEA thats what they were. I just did a search. Thanks. now I know they are not dangerous. It was at Jonathan Dickinson State Park. At least it was a whole new riding experence on the trail. Bunch of them. Looks like OMBA in Ocala has one for their club symbol. funny

Interesting, I have never seen them there before in the years I have ridden there.

Good to know, now we won't be the first on the trail nor last on account of Deer Flys.

We do plan to be riding there many rides this summer getting ready for a fall trip.

PK

XXIX
    I walked into one at my house last week. 4am and im walking out to my standalone garage where I park my motorcycle, heading to work. I actually felt the spider on my face as my fight or flight reaction kicked in. Good thing they dont bother me much cause it was early and I had know idea where that thing went.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Spiders

I went early on a weekday to ride the Santos epic....mistake. I stopped counting after I went through *200* webs. Only a portion of those had spiders that landed on me, but still. I wasn't even a third of the way when I stopped counting. My bike looked like it had that fake Halloween spider web stuff all over the front by the time I finished.

Happens to me on the Gainesville in town trails a lot too. I was thinking of building a web catcher somehow.

YOU SCRATHED MY BIKE!!!!
    apparently morning riders are the ones to eat those so go during the afternoon again and you wont see it =D
    2010 Trek 4300
    WTB VelociRaptors

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah, the Gainesville trails are crawling with them.

I usually stop counting after about 10 webs. But I have severe arachnophobia.

Just do not do like I did on one ride when I took point. Started using both hands to frantically slap at my face. While going about 15 mph. Into a tree.

Spiders suck real bad. But not as bad as trees at 15 mph.

mtbr member

And night riders also!

Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214

Just do not do like I did on one ride when I took point. Started using both hands to frantically slap at my face. While going about 15 mph. Into a tree.

Ditto...same here...Just be creative and imagine it's some sexy gal's hair
    Oh and let's not forget the armadillos, wet roots, deer, snakes, and gators

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Definately the time of year for them... I went through about 30 of them in So AL last week, several of the spiders managed to actually land on me, or the bike... This means I come to a crashing hault, throw my helmet off(which is where they end up landing most times), and screaming like a girl... then repeate every 50' :P

I have no problems with banana spiders... except when they're on me.

I'm still healing from a brown recluse bite on the back of my knee... took like 5-6 months for the gaping holes to close up. Those things are no joke.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn
    I'm still healing from a brown recluse bite on the back of my knee... took like 5-6 months for the gaping holes to close up. Those things are no joke.
    Did this happen while biking?

(please say no...)

Clydesdale 29er
    I was crewing for a Hot air balloon team a few years back and we got invited to fly down
    around Tallahassee. My pilot called and gave me directions to a small patch of grass in
    the middle of a cotton field that was shrouded in ground fog. He is on approach to land when
    when I started running down the bank from the road into the field. This is when I discovered
    that the field was not covered in ground fog but in spider webs. I quickly told him he was on
    his own unless flew on to a better field. Some of those spiders looked to be 6" across.
    That same trip on another flight he decided to land in a park near a creek. My wife was in the
    balloon that day and he pointed to the field and asked her if she thought that patch of grass
    just beyond the logs was a good spot to land. She responded with those aren't logs, those
    are alligators. He chose a different landing site.
    MxV=Clydesdale

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tech44
    Did this happen while biking?

(please say no...)
    No idea, maybe?

I didn't know I had been bitten... the bites are often undetectable, its the reaction that sucks

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214

not good going into the tree. But I will take the tree over large spiders any day.

Granny Gear Guru
    I've learned that if I'm the first one of the day to hit the trail that it's best to just focus on riding otherwise i'll spend the entire time freaking out about spiders. To be honest though i've stopped hitting the trails early in the morning because of it.
    10 Specialized Hardrock
    Looking for a new bike...... selling one?

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

Markham Park is full of them too. I don't like the feeling of the web al over my face but what can you do. I now wait 'till there are a few riders ahead of me so they can catch the webs for me....
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Rode solo today for 11 miles. Not a single spider. Maybe I am saving my negative spider karma and a monster is going to eat me?

Good point re: tree being better than spider. I would probably do the same thing again.

ChiliPepper1
    Man, that is one thing about riding trails I really dislike......"Those freakin spiders!" I do not have arachnophobia, but I really despise those damn eight lagged freaky deeks, especially when they land square in my face!

Its got what plants crave
    Spiders are delicious.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Spiders are delicious.
    nuts

mtbr member
    Last month I had the bright idea of going out on a solo early morning ride at Croom. Started out on Tucker. Took the yellow to the red connector to south blue. I was obviously the first person on the trail. There was a half mile section of trail where I must have stopped at least 20 times to either clear the web from my face or the trail.

Highlight of the ride was reaching the top of a climb only to get a face full of web and a HUGE banana spider on the lense of my glasses. I screamed like a little girl and went over the handlebars trying to get it off of me.

I know they are harmless...but their creepiness paired along with the sheer suprise when one lands on me while riding really freaks me out.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Old pic from T.O.E. ...

TRANCER
    I got stung by a banana spider once. Got a huge lump that hurt like hell for a couple of days then it went away on its own basicaly. But I sure as hell could of done without it.
    Ride

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast