Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone riding Tanasi TN this weekend?

Care to show a new guy around?
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If no one speaks up, call Scott's bike shop. They might know of someone looking to ride.
    (423) 472-9881

mtbr member
    Sweet thanks.

mtbr member

Hopefully

May go sunday morning to beat the heat!
    Too wet to ride!

mtbr member

Heat?

Is it hot where you reside???

mtbr member
    I am up for a ride sunday morning. I am driving up from Mississippi either tonight or tomorrow morning and then heading back on sunday. I will have to ride somewhat early on sunday so I can get back before it is too late.

mtbr member
    If you get hot, you can always jump in the river. Not sure if the TVA has the damn open on Sunday or not, but even if they do you can always find a side pool to take a dip into along the Whitewater Center.

Also if you end up going yourself, as long as they are open, the Whitewater Center has very good trails maps (for free last I was there).

Have fun!
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

mtbr member
    I am planning on riding Fri, Sat, and Sun. Is there anywhere else I should check out while I am in town?

mtbr member
    There isn't much in Ducktown (just east). There is lots of lodging and food options in Cleveland (west), but it's about 30-35 minutes from the trails. There is a Phillips 66 gas station just before you get to Lake Ocoee (coming from the west/Cleveland) with a Subway. We usually go there for food and drinks if we need a change from what we bring. The Whitewater Center has a newer cafe. Food is good, alittle pricey, and the hours aren't ideal for the weekend warrior.

Camping can be done at Thunderock Campground ($12.00 per night). It's right on the river and they have full facilities including a bike wash station. It's right by the pumping station (can't remember the number) and at the base of the trails... easy access. You can park there too if you don't want to contribute your $3.00 per day to the NPS at the Whitewater Center.

I haven't explored Cleveland that much as we are either on the trail, in the water, or dead asleep.

Don't forget there is the Chilhowee Trail System right where 30 intersects 64, just a few miles after you see the lake. I've never ridden there though.

mtbr member
    I should also mention, that if you have time or are driving back through Chattanoga on I-24, you should stop and ride Raccoon Mountain just west of the city. Exit 175. It's worth the trip.

mtbr member
    I was thinking of checking out the Chilhowee Trail System but I wasn't sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdogs

I haven't explored Cleveland that much as we are either on the trail, in the water, or dead asleep.

When I was 17 I drove to Cleveland to hook up with a girl I met on the internet. It seemed like so far away back then LOL.

Regarding Chillhowie, it is fun but be prepared for some serious climbing.

mtbr member

Chilhowee

Chilhowee is more technical than Tanasi.....they are different but both are fun in different ways. I plan on hitting one or the other sunday eaaarllly!
    Too wet to ride!

mtbr member
    Drop me a line for Sunday if you want some company. I have a hard time climbing out of bed early and having someone to meet is good motivation.

mtbr member

Hope Chilhowee

Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14
    I was thinking of checking out the Chilhowee Trail System but I wasn't sure.
    If you access Chilhowee from the Clemmer trail head at hwy 30, you'll have a 2 mile climb up 2000 feet to get to the slickrock loops. You can access the upper campground and trails by taking Oswald Dome Rd (FS77 I think). There's a ranger station at the base of this road with trail maps.

Another ride in the area is Brush Creek (7 m out/back). Trail head is just west of the bridge.
    Scars are like tattoos - only with better memories...

mtbr member
    Brush Creek will be on the map that you can pick up from the Whitewater Center. You can park where RJend mentioned or you can park at the Overlook (not the overlook directly off 64.... even though I think you can get there from that location as well). It's the overlook, from memory, which is the turn off for the Upper Ocoee Raft/Kayak put in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdogs
    Brush Creek will be on the map that you can pick up from the Whitewater Center. You can park where RJend mentioned or you can park at the Overlook (not the overlook directly off 64.... even though I think you can get there from that location as well). It's the overlook, from memory, which is the turn off for the Upper Ocoee Raft/Kayak put in.
    Boyd Gap
    Scars are like tattoos - only with better memories...

mtbr member
    I would recommend Brush Creek as well as Jackrabbit, if you have more time in the area.

mtbr member
    Jackrabbit is about 45 to an hour more south/east.... right? Look up Hiawassee GA... it's literally right on the NC/GA state line.

mtbr member
    Yeah I think it is a little further but it is worth it. IMO Jackrabbit is the best trail named in this thread, and that includes Tsali.

mtbr member
    I stopped by Jackrabbit a few week back driving back from Greenville. It was 1:30 and it was kinda hot so I bailed.... not to mention I wanted to get home at a decent hour.

mtbr member
    sweet... I will see if I can find jackrabbit in the morning.

Singletrack Slayer
    Sorry, but Chilhowee is so much more fun and not out of the way. A must if your driving so far away to experience true SE singletrack. You need to ride at Tanasi and Brush Creek too, can be done in a big ride about 30 miles all together, Tanasi is a good 16 miles if you do all the trails and then couple miles back and fourth on Old Copper rd up Boyd gap and hit the Brush Creek Loop and back down Boyd's Gap to the WW Center. A Epic ride for sure. If not all that just ride Tanasi and skip Brush Creek. Can do a good 14 miles at Chilhowee too. I'd go Chilhowee and then Tanasi IMO.
    You must go to Raccoon Mtn in Chattanooga too, that is a must.
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14
    sweet... I will see if I can find jackrabbit in the morning.
    If you're talking of the jackrabbit I'm thinking of, its way over on the north carolina/georgia border near hiawasse and hayesville. Not very close to TN at all (but then again, there could be another SE trail by the same name)
    GregRidesTrails.com--An informational and instructional mountain bike blog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbGreg
    If you're talking of the jackrabbit I'm thinking of, its way over on the north carolina/georgia border near hiawasse and hayesville. Not very close to TN at all (but then again, there could be another SE trail by the same name)
    You are correct, see my post about six posts up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast