mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Anybody on here ride Johnathan Dickinson?

Just started riding JD and I gotta say its pretty sweet! Scrub Club has been doin a lot of work and upgrading the trails. If you haven't tried it its worth checking out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I like it for its natural beauty but its a sand pit 90% of the time. Been going there since before it was an official trail (late 90's) and at one point was great with only a few sand spots (before Wilma/Frances and fire). Now its mostly exposed.

Was there 2 weeks ago and while the crew has made many positive changes to help with the sand situation, its still a big issue - unless you like 4" deep loose sand. When I went, Walden and lake loop had axle deep water. Ironic because the rest (most) had deep sand.

Halpatiokee just to the North is more consistent and doesn't suffer from the deep sand as bad as JD. Just as natural (more?) but without elevation change.

IMO: JD should be converted to an all clay trail.

ps. Turtle Soup

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It was ridin awesome last week with all the rain but its starting to dry out and get sandy again. I've ridden Hal Pat it ok but lots of roots. With JD drying up il probably be making the drive down to West Delray or Quiet Waters. I like the fast flowy trails with the shell rock. I haven't ridden Quiet waters yet but I hear its pretty sweet. I live closest to Dyer but its pretty boring. No jumps, berms or elevation changes on the perimeter trail and the hill is more like torture than fun. Seems like most people like to ride the hill so that's where most FORCEs effort goes to maintaining.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    WD is fun as long as you are local. Not worth the drive from far. QW...isn't worth it even if local...but thats just IMO <--------

If you don't like roots at Halpat, you certainly are going to have issues with most trails I can recommend. I actually love roots. Want flow (in the SE), then go to Amelia...but they have roots! I'd suggest Pinehurst but it has lots of roots (best trail in a 30 mile radius). See the pattern.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeah I've ridden Pinehurst a few times its pretty good but I like the flow of WD more. Il be workin at Lakeworth n 441 this week so il probably be riding both of them this week. I really want to go down to Amelia but its hard to get my friends to plan something.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RaveOn View Post
    WD is fun as long as you are local. Not worth the drive from far. QW...isn't worth it even if local...but thats just IMO <--------

If you don't like roots at Halpat, you certainly are going to have issues with most trails I can recommend. I actually love roots. Want flow (in the SE), then go to Amelia...but they have roots! I'd suggest Pinehurst but it has lots of roots (best trail in a 30 mile radius). See the pattern.

I'm curious about your opinion on QW, I can't recall anyone bashing it like that before. I certainly enjoy it when I drive 15 minutes to go there.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I ride JD on average 1 x / wk…..lot's of positive changes the last year and offers more miles and elevation change than most other "local trail". The best time to ride JD is a day or so after significant rainfall. This allows top layer of sand to dry a bit and be less "sticky / heavy". Some small loops of JD can flood and be under water for some time, but they are easily by-passed. Halpat/ Ft P have been hit or miss this season with our record-rain and both have become more bumpy. Halpat needs some maintenance to cut back on the face-slappers. Pinehurst is fun, but quite short. WD is somewhat under construction now since they ripped out the coolest feature, rays end to end. Whenever I go to QW it takes me a lap to get used to the "marbles", but once I've adjusted my technique, I really enjoy the trail and, it can be ridden just about any time, rain or shine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue426 View Post
    I'm curious about your opinion on QW, I can't recall anyone bashing it like that before. I certainly enjoy it when I drive 15 minutes to go there.
    Have you ever ridden the old QW before 2006?

If no, then you and I have very different ideas of what makes a trail fun or have different riding abilities.

If yes, then by all means, enjoy the new QW. I'm glad there is a trail locals enjoy.

For me, I'll drive to Markham 10:1 even though its twice as far away. For me its a matter of expectation rather then convenience.

mtbr member
    May 2013

If no, then you and I have very different ideas of what makes a trail fun or have different riding abilities.

If yes, then by all means, enjoy the new QW. I'm glad there is a trail locals enjoy.

For me, I'll drive to Markham 10:1 even though its twice as far away. For me its a matter of expectation rather then convenience.
    No I didn't , I've only been riding for less than a year.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

No Stranger to danger....
    Ive never riden him, i hope you wore protection.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Huckin' trails

Anybody on here ride Johnathan Dickinson?

Tone's only ride whatever goes under 5mph. Beware if you're too slow on climbs !
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Hi There!

I rode the old QW at least a hundred times, same with the new one. They're totally different but I like the new one too. Nice that we can all share our opinions though.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I've only ridden Quiet Waters as a trail so nothing to compare it to. I would like a trail that wasn't so rocky though. Which one around would be like that?

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Go to Markham park instead of QW... Much better trails and only anout 20-30 minutes more south...

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy jr. View Post
    It was ridin awesome last week with all the rain but its starting to dry out and get sandy again. I've ridden Hal Pat it ok but lots of roots. With JD drying up il probably be making the drive down to West Delray or Quiet Waters. I like the fast flowy trails with the shell rock. I haven't ridden Quiet waters yet but I hear its pretty sweet. I live closest to Dyer but its pretty boring. No jumps, berms or elevation changes on the perimeter trail and the hill is more like torture than fun. Seems like most people like to ride the hill so that's where most FORCEs effort goes to maintaining.