mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Any Yelli Screamy riders in north Georgia?? Help Needed..

Was hoping someone in the north Georgia/Atlanta area might be gracious enough to let me throw a leg over theirs. Looking to make a new bike purchase over the next couple of weeks and based on feedback and reviews the YS is high on my list. I'm 6'2 175lbs. Guessing a Large or XL could work for me. Offers, comments, recommendations are welcomed...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I owned a YS version 2. Sold it 2-3 months ago. I'm the same height and weight as you. What kind of questions did you have, maybe I can be of some help.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    I owned a YS version 2. Sold it 2-3 months ago. I'm the same height and weight as you. What kind of questions did you have, maybe I can be of some help.
    What size were you riding? Really curious what your overall impression of the bike was. This will be my first purchase in 15 years and my first 29er. I'm riding mostly north Georgia single track, usually 2-3 hrs at a time. I'm a bit leery of dropping the hammer without a test ride, but from everything I gather this seems like it would be a solid acquisition.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I had a large. I really liked the bike. GREAT at climbing, like a goat. Very responsive even for a 29er. Descends very well. I was running mine with a 70mm stem and 120mm fork. What you must realize though, with 16.7 chainstays the ride is not"plush". That was my main reason for selling it. Just a bit harsh for my taste. If you're riding 2-3 hours of N GA singletrack, it might not be for you. That's just my opinion based on me riding it. Where do you ride most of the time? I rode mine at Tanasi, Chicopee and Ft. Yargo quite a bit to get a good feel for how it handled different terrain. What bike or bikes are you riding at this time?
    Last edited by kevinboyer; 03-10-2013 at 08:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here's a picture of my Yelli Screamy...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sweet ride you had there. Harsh is a good description of the fully rigid 19" Gary Fisher Aquila that Ive been riding for the last 15 years. I've ridden this bike way beyond its limits and I'm way overdue for new ride. Honestly, I dont anticipate riding much terrain that I couldnt conquer on the Gary Fisher. I enjoy some technical climbing at times, but really wouldnt consider myself aggresive on the downhill side. I do a lot of quick rides (1-2hrs) during the week around Blankets and Sope Creek. Maybe one weekend every 2 months I will make a trip to Unicoi to ride for a couple of hours. Not looking for a bike for all day rides just something fun and versatile that I will be happy with for years to come. And trying to keep the price point around $1800 or less.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    With the type, and duration of riding you are talking about, the Yelli should be just fine. Fun and versatile are excellent descriptions of this bike. If you decide on making a purchase of this bike, I highly recommend talking to Sean at Canfield Brothers. He and I talked numerous times over a 3 month period during my decision making process, and the fact that I was waiting on the version 2 model to arrive in the U.S. He's very easy to talk to, and can answer any question that you might have. They might even be coming out with a newer version of the Yelli. That would be something he could answer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That's solid info and I really appreciate it. I've actually already traded a couple of emails with Sean. The one item that he could not definitively comment on was what size I would shoot for. He basically said he that I could pull off a large or XL. Really anxious about a purchase without a test ride, but it looks like that may be my reality. Did you have an opportunity to ride one before your purchased? At any point did you feel like the XL would have been a better fit?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I did not demo one. I based my decision off of what I read here on MTBR, as well as my phone conversations with Sean. I would urge you to "talk" to Sean. You can gain a better perspective through a voice conversation than an email. The Yelli frame is "small" in the grand scheme, meaning you don't "see" it like some of the "larger" frames on the market. I could have gone either way, L or XL, but my Niner Jet 9 is a L, so I took that into consideration also. My L fit me well. I did not regret going with the L. The conventional wisdom is if you are torn, go with the larger frame because you can always make adjustments to the cockpit to achieve any fit issues. You can't adjust a smaller frame without making drastic tweaks. I'm sure that you have gone through the lengthy Yelli thread here on MTBR regarding this bike. If not, I suggest that you do. There is some great info and insight regarding fit. But in the end it all comes down to an individual decision. You and I are the exact same height and weight. My inseam is 34, pretty standard for someone of my height. So if you fall into that range, I think the L would be fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Very helpful. Last topic......Did you complete the build or did someone in north Georgia assist you? Not everyone I've spoken with is familiar with the Canfield frames. Would you have any reservations about letting a legit LBS complete the build? I'm lacking the skills and time and may need to outsource the build. Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I bought all of my components and had my LBS build it from the frame up. Georgia Cycle Sport in Athens did the build. They did a great job, no complaints. I see you live in Smyrna. Just up the road in Marietta is Free Flite, well respected bike shop from what I have heard. Fresh Bike in Roswell is very good. Shawn is the owner. Outspokin in Woodstock is another good one.

There are a few things to remember about the Yelli frame. It takes a direct mount front derailleur and Canfield recommends Shimano. Use it!! What are you going to use for drivetrain? 1x10, 2x10, 3x10? This could be key in your build.

Here's a list of bike shops in GA from Pinkbike.com...

Bike Shops in Georgia - Pinkbike

And the build specs from Canfield for the Yelli...

Yelli Screamy - the 29er that handles like a 26" mountain bike frame

It should be a pretty straightforward build for any reputable bike mechanic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Haven't really given it a lot of thought. I know nothing other than the 3x10 that I've run for years. Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Not sure if running the Yelli 3x10 is a good idea. Mine was set up 2x10, 32x24, and worked flawlessly. Seems most of the people I talked to while I was researching mine were going 2x10, but people do run 1x10. Sean would be able to clarify about the 3x10 set-up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Excellent info. Thanks for taking the time

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No problem Shane. Let me know if I can be of any further help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Interesting a timely thread for me. I am (with shoes) a hair under 6'2" and long legged 36" inseam. I currently have large Nimble 9 which I purchased with the intention of running a "normal" length stem at 90-100mm. Now that I've got a tall fork on it I've decided I like a shorter stem for steering feel and manual ability. This, however makes the bike feel a bit short.
    A couple months ago I purchased an xl yelli frame becaue it was one of the last Purple ones in stock and I thought I wanted to build it up and put a 60mm stem on it. Its basically been a living room decoration since then as I'm torn between it and waiting to get a large.
    I remember riding an xl Gary fisher 26" hardtail with a 25.2" TT and 90mm stem and not really thinking it was too big. I later owned another Fisher 29er xl with a 25.2" TT as well. Thinking I'd like a large so I bought a large frame and swapped the parts over and don't remeber being too overwhelmed by the "improvement".
    So I'm thinking the 25.3" TT with a shorter stem will put the cockpit about where the L would be with a 90mm stem.
    Also I have a friend who owns a lbs and he just got in a Kona Taro with a 25" TT ,a 60mm stem and wide bars. On a parking lot test ride it felt good for me. The xl Yelli is only .3" longer and with the bent TT the standover should be about the same as the Taro's 19" seat tube and straight TT.

I think when i stand and climb, I like the feel of a longer reach, if I'm cramped it tends to make my back tired. I like to feel like I'm almost falling forward a bit.