mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Any South Florida Riders using Exiwolf or Prowler MX?

I'm looking to replace the stock Bonty Jones XR's that came on my GF Marlin, which are just bad everywhere. I plan on riding mostly Amelia as its the closest trail to me, but Oleta and Markham will be ridden as well. I also do a lot of neighborhood riding on pavement.

I've read some of the other threads on here on SoFla tire setups, but have not seen much mention on either the Exiwolf or Prowler MX Race. I've read good reviews on them, and can be found for cheap online. Anyone have any experiences with them? Which would be better all around for my planned usage? I'm also considering getting a lighter-weight, low rr tire for the pavement rides like the Conti RK or Maxxis Hookworm, but would rather stick with one tire for the time being.

Also, what size combo would your all think is best? 2.1 all around? 2.3 + 2.1? 2.3 all around?

Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    do you plan to ride Amelia fast,meaning race pace? when I ride Amelia fast, I use Python's 2.0 or IRC Mythos XC II 1.95.the Mythos are fast tires and must compensate for braking room and when its wet.I use Nevegal's 2.10 at Oleta and Markham.and use them at Amelia when I ride with my friends at an easy pace.I see a lot of folks running the Nevegal's too.

I'm guessing get the tires that suits your riding style,the Nevegal's 2.10 might be your best bet as most use them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well maybe eventually, but I'm just starting out so I'm still in the "go fast until I'm uncomfortable then tap the brakes" stage. So I'd say its probably more of an easy pace for now.

I've read good things about the Nevegals, but I'm not sure how well they'll do when I ride on pavement (which is actually more often than when I'm on the trails), and I'm still leaning toward one of the WTB tires as they've been available for dirt cheap on chainlove lately (given that I'm starting out, I don't want to drop a ton of cash on tires only to find out they're not what I need).

Expenses notwithstanding, would I just be better off getting two sets of tires - a trail tire like the Nevegals or a WTB of some sort, plus a faster tire like the RK or Hookworms for pavement riding? Or is there a better "jack of all trades, master of none" alternative?

Trail Junkie
    The truth is, any mountain bike tire you use on the pavement, and then use on the trail will lose quite a lot of quality pretty fast. I am not a fan of Nevagals, but that is because I don't live out west where they actually have rocks where they shine. I would say for a fast rolling tire that will be decent on the pavement and on the trail, and not cost too much would be the Maxxis Larson TT. You can find good prices for them on the internet. I don't know that much about WTB tires, but I do know that every product that I used by WTB, I was disatisfied. That is my own personal experience, and it was not with the tires.

When I lived in Belgium/Germany, I used Larson TTs for the road and the trail. I typically had a High Roller on the front, but found out that the road really tore them up, and they lost a lot of quality. The TT maintained acceptable grip, and lasted a few years before needing to be replaced. I honestly think those would be your best bet. The problem I see with going with Nevagals is that they will not provide a very smooth ride on the pavement as they have lifted knobbies through the center that will cause a lot of vibration and noise. The TT has a lot more smaller knobbies that give a low rolling resistance ride, and a good contact patch with edge knobbies that give grip for corners.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/view_p...eProductSearch

http://www.bicyclebuys.com/tires/Tir...02087PART/goog
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3