mtbr member
    May 2005

Any regular Oleta riders ?

I just started riding Oleta 3 weeks ago...really like it, and have been back 5 times since.
    But, almost every trail has a couple of forks which can get you turned around going the wrong way. Is there a standard where most of the forks are ridden as lefts or rights ?
    Also, do you find it easier to ride there in morning sun ?
    Yesterday I was really dialed in on Gilligan's until near 3/4 or so point (just past delirium), when I got totally turned around, though the previous times was not an issue.
    Really like the challenge physical/mental challenge of riding this trail with pace, but would like to not get off track so frequently.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    I just started riding Oleta 3 weeks ago...really like it, and have been back 5 times since.
    But, almost every trail has a couple of forks which can get you turned around going the wrong way. Is there a standard where most of the forks are ridden as lefts or rights ?
    Also, do you find it easier to ride there in morning sun ?
    Yesterday I was really dialed in on Gilligan's until near 3/4 or so point (just past delirium), when I got totally turned around, though the previous times was not an issue.
    Really like the challenge physical/mental challenge of riding this trail with pace, but would like to not get off track so frequently.
    I ride there often. I usually hope from trial to trial to I don't have a routine per say. If I do Gilligan's Island I don't do the entire park if I don't do Gilligan's then I do just about all the intermediate trials and some of the advanced trials.

Some times the trial markers or indicators go down because of other riders or because of the rain or wear and tear. Once you ride there often you will find your way quite easy.

Your bikes makes a huge difference in that park. Amelia Earhart Park is a speed mark with drops not so many climbs. Markahm and Oleta are very technical parks. Lot's of rocks, roots and climbs with back to back drops and climbs, sharp turns etc.

29er makes huge difference
    Giant Talon ... with a few upgrades

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyRid3r View Post
    I ride there often. I usually hope from trial to trial to I don't have a routine per say. If I do Gilligan's Island I don't do the entire park if I don't do Gilligan's then I do just about all the intermediate trials and some of the advanced trials.

Some times the trial markers or indicators go down because of other riders or because of the rain or wear and tear. Once you ride there often you will find your way quite easy.

Your bikes makes a huge difference in that park. Amelia Earhart Park is a speed mark with drops not so many climbs. Markahm and Oleta are very technical parks. Lot's of rocks, roots and climbs with back to back drops and climbs, sharp turns etc.

29er makes huge difference
    Do you ride any mid- to late weekday mornings ? If so, maybe we can meet up. I use Strava, so try to ride the trails per segment, though have found that sometimes trails won't show up, so figure I am under- or over-riding.
    My Stumpjumper FSR is set up perfect for Oleta.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    Do you ride any mid- to late weekday mornings ? If so, maybe we can meet up. I use Strava, so try to ride the trails per segment, though have found that sometimes trails won't show up, so figure I am under- or over-riding.
    My Stumpjumper FSR is set up perfect for Oleta.
    I usually ride in the mornings on weekends main cause of work. Can't ride on week days duty calls 9-5
    Giant Talon ... with a few upgrades

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Oleta is tricky on the first trail and also the first Dragon, although they have improved it. Just slow down, look around and you should find the way, or wait a few and follow someone. Saturdays its pretty busy and should not be a problem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    They have trail maps at the front gate...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I usually ride Oleta end to end. I do not ride there as often as markham but lately I have shared the same experience of getting turned around. The trails are not in good shape and have lost their markings so the routes are becoming harder to differentiate. A coversation at my bike shop confirmed that volunteers and builders are not seeing eye to eye with park admin and many have decided to shift their efforts to Virginia Key. If this is true and continues, I fear Oleta will only get worse. It really sucks when you are trying to clock a lap and end up off course - I even ended up off the trail completely.
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

rubber side down
    I dig Oleta a lot, great spot if you want to just ride and now work too hard. Markham kicks my ass! We've been riding Markham more, but where ever my son wants to ride is where we go. I typically go around noon during this time of year, but in the summer it's got to be early or late cause of the heat!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Good to hear I'm not the only one, but too bad about the state and future of the trail.
    My enjoyment really comes from riding a trail with good pace and challenging myself to ride on the edge and get a great workout. I also like to compete against others on Strava....that's me... get into the flow/zone and cut things as close as possible. It really can be amazing.
    Kicking myself (a bit) for not riding Oleta sooner, especially since I used to live full time in the Grove until 4 years ago.....never rode while living in Miami for 15 years.
    I spoke with a park ranger last time and he said they are still going to be getting rid of the Australian Pines, so who knows what the trail will be like down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by LordDRIFT View Post
    I usually ride Oleta end to end. I do not ride there as often as markham but lately I have shared the same experience of getting turned around. The trails are not in good shape and have lost their markings so the routes are becoming harder to differentiate. A coversation at my bike shop confirmed that volunteers and builders are not seeing eye to eye with park admin and many have decided to shift their efforts to Virginia Key. If this is true and continues, I fear Oleta will only get worse. It really sucks when you are trying to clock a lap and end up off course - I even ended up off the trail completely.