mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Any Destin area recommendation?

Headed there for spring break with the family. Will likely bring the MTB for some rides. Hoping for some dirt, but would settle for group road rides as well.

Any recommendations? A quick search of the google machine says to check out Point Washington trails and something about trails on the Air Force base (could I get on?).

Any help is appreciated. 1st for dirt, 2nd for fast road groups

Thanks

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    You can get a recreational pass from Eglin AFB and ride the trails there. Point Washington has some trails. There are some trails in Ebro(Pine Log State Forest) as well.

I wreck alot
    Here you go:
    Panhandle Pedaling, North West Florida Trails.

Also, I'd go checkout the local mountain bike and trail maintenance group here:
    https://www.facebook.com/pinetrailmtb

I'd skip the base trails and pass. There is better riding around the area off-base in my opinion.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the links and info.

I'm glad to hear that Point Washington has some options. It appears that I could ride road and paved trail for about 10miles to get to those trails. Could make a nice 30mile morning option.

I will have some time to drive, but not likely too far as this is supposed to be a family (not bike) vacation.

Thanks SoWal - PM will likley come your direction as the dates approach.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Disagree with the above, the Eglin trails (Timberlake trails) are great. I've never been checked for a pass, so you're most likely OK without picking one up (the trails aren't on the installation). The carbo trail is my favorite, the race trail can be linked and will make it a 10+ mile ride. The west-side trail to/around the lake are nice too. It's 15 minutes from Destin, 10 from FWB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoWal_MTBer View Post
    Here you go:
    Panhandle Pedaling, North West Florida Trails.

Also, I'd go checkout the local mountain bike and trail maintenance group here:
    https://www.facebook.com/pinetrailmtb

I'd skip the base trails and pass. There is better riding around the area off-base in my opinion.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in riding.
    Hey man, would really like to come down and do some road riding in the area come Spring time. I used to live in Destin so I kinda know the area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Posting an update for others to use if they stumble across this thread.

Bottomline, I had a great time and got several 40 mile rides in during Spring Break. I was staying at Hilton SanDestin, so I rode east on Hwy 96 about 4 miles to 30A. Hwy 96 is a mix of marked bike lane and wide shoulder. Not too bad on the MTB, I wouldn't ride it much further than the 10-15min that I did. Lots of fellow gawking tourists.

Once to 30A, a nice bike path will take you as far as you need to go. About 9 miles down the path is Big Daddy's Bike Shop/Rentals. They helped me out more than once and are good people.

Maybe 5 miles down the path you will see Goatfeathers Restaurant, just before that turn north on Sandalwood Drive and follow it to the end. A parking lot and trailhead will get you onto the Longleaf Trail. This is a nice singletrack that goes maybe 10 miles (?). A nice mix of rooty, twisty and fast singletrack. It will cross a paved road every once in awhile, but keep moving in the same general direction and you will be fine. Once to the end, you end up at the Point Washington loop trailhead. This is a 10 mile loop that is a mix of good singletrack and some times sandy double track. Still fun.

Anyhow, the locals were friendly enough to point me in the right direction and I appreciate that. Below is a Strava link to the majority of what I rode. I hope it helps you out.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 1/2paved, 1/2 Florida singletrack near Miramar Beach | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info.

I wreck alot
    IowaGriz,

Thanks for riding our trails! Hopefully you will be back again someday to see the improvements we are making and features we are adding. Just for clarification, I think you meant Highway 98, not 96

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Appreciate the tips IowaGriz. We are staying at Miramar next week.
    Any group rides during the week locals?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Coming back again for Spring Break 2014; the family enjoyed the beaches and weather and I enjoyed the close riding. I'll be bringing the MTB and road bike this time. Looking foward to riding the trails again.