Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Amelia Earhart Update FYI

This week we had a tropical storm dump a HUGE amount of water on the park, but the recent work to fill in the low spots helped greatly. I closed Trick or Treat trail until Tuesday due to a few inches of standing water in 1 area. Also, the little intermediate connector that's 300m after Camel Hump should be avoided due to a newly formed mud-puddle. THe 1st 2 corners in lilRazorback are under water, but it's actually kind of a stream-crossing type clear-water-solid bottom section, so it rides well. THe rest of the park, including ALL of Coffee trail are perfect! Absolutely amazing conditions considering how much rain the park had over those 2 days. Everything should be open for riding by Tuesday the 5th. (October 2010)
    Work on the new Kitty-Cat trail bridge is moving fast! All that remains are screwing down 1/3 of the deck boards, nailing down the shingles, and a little cleanup. It looks like the golden Gate bridge! Massive and very sturdy. The rhythm section before the new tunnel is nearly finished, and the entire trail makeover is just awesome! I think that trail will be a big hit with many riders....
    The park is in great shape, no reports of ant problems in a couple of weeks...things are looking up...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks for the update, cant wait to get back in there with all the updates done

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Update Oct 4th: Trick or Treat still muddy in the area that we haven't filled, I'll re-open Wednesday the 6th. Everything else is perfect and fast! Rode 3 laps today with shorts and regular short-sleeved jersey, no ants! It seems to be working... My mower broke, so some sections in lil Razorback are getting a little a little tall....anyone want to help??
    Really fast and fun conditions, and this weather is beautiful!!

Expert Crasher
    Holy cow - I haven't been to Amelia since last December's Coconut Cup race. Sounds like a lot has changed.

Amelia always was the fasted course for me on the rigid SingleSpeed.

Does it still have a decent amount of flow and speed?
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Much faster (almost 1 MPH avg increase), much better flow, and I ride SS also...so go figure!!

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by EXPERTRIDER
    Much faster (almost 1 MPH avg increase), much better flow, and I ride SS also...so go figure!!
    SAWEET! I like Oleta (a lot) but the pounding from the roots wears on me after a few hours. Amelia is always a good change of pace.

I'll hit the park tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    thank u for the update...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thursday the 7th update: The County let me use one of their HUGE 72" diesel mowers...lil Razorback is golf-course pretty now!! I mowed about 12' wide..I've been riding 3 laps every morning, the course is just perfect, and everything is open except the section where we're still building the new bridge. Saturday mornings from 9am to noon we do trail maintenance...come out and help!

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    SAWEET! I like Oleta (a lot) but the pounding from the roots wears on me after a few hours. Amelia is always a good change of pace.

I'll hit the park tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback.
    Hey man whats up? I remember the day i met ya. You were in El Diablo pulled up on the side of the trail hurting. I loved that bike you were riding. I think it was the Green Surely? And yeah Amelia is great for rigids andf hardtails. But i can't imagine riding Oleta on a rigid. I don't think id be anal retentive for long
    Ride

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    Hey man whats up? I remember the day i met ya. You were in El Diablo pulled up on the side of the trail hurting. I loved that bike you were riding. I think it was the Green Surely? And yeah Amelia is great for rigids andf hardtails. But i can't imagine riding Oleta on a rigid. I don't think id be anal retentive for long
    Close - Black Surly! I ride Oleta a lot - and there are a few places that hurt on the rigid , but I can get around there fairly well despite the concentration of roots!

Expert Crasher
    Thursday the 7th update: The County let me use one of their HUGE 72" diesel mowers...lil Razorback is golf-course pretty now!! I mowed about 12' wide..I've been riding 3 laps every morning, the course is just perfect, and everything is open except the section where we're still building the new bridge. Saturday mornings from 9am to noon we do trail maintenance...come out and help!

BRAVO! You guys have done some GREAT work out there. I rode it Friday and will be out again today - so much fun. The course is in great shape - the hard work you've done is evident - Amelia is better than ever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Expertrider, you've done a great job out there.
    I just rode it after taking a year long hiatus and absolutely loved the trails..
    great job..

mtbr member
    May 2010
    what are the chances it will be flooded this weekend?

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmarrero89
    what are the chances it will be flooded this weekend?
    Chances are very high actually. i was planning on hitting it up this weekend but i think it will be excessively wet
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Are you kidding?? I was just there an hour ago, it's dry everywhere. (2:30pm October 14, Thursday) I walked all of Trick or treat trail, and even the exit trail. Those used to get muddy, they were dry. Unless we get some huge amount of rain tonight, the course will be in great shape. The rain actually firmed up some of the areas that were getting soft....A cold front is expected Friday, so it should be cool and dry....enjoy!!

TRANCER
    Are you kidding?? I was just there an hour ago, it's dry everywhere. (2:30pm October 14, Thursday) I walked all of Trick or treat trail, and even the exit trail. Those used to get muddy, they were dry. Unless we get some huge amount of rain tonight, the course will be in great shape. The rain actually firmed up some of the areas that were getting soft....A cold front is expected Friday, so it should be cool and dry....enjoy!!
    My bad...Damn. If i'd of known this i would of been there today
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    rode monday & tuesday conditions were perfect with a light sprinkle towards the end that made for a nice cool down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I rode 2 laps this morning (Friday, October 15th, 2010) ...I saw 2 small. easily avoidable little puddles of water...that's it! I think I need to warn everyone.....
    Due to the very firm and fast conditions, you may experience prolonged smiling and shouting for joy, this could lead to a sore throat and cramping facial muscles..please use caution!.............................enjoy!!! The weather is going to be perfect all weekend, and everything is in amazing shape!

TRANCER
    Lol nice ! I will be there Sunday morning !
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    We ALMOST finished the new "Golden Gate Bridge" today. The entire deck is done, all of the shingles are done, the guardrails are up along the top. We have to finish guardrails along the climb to the top, and the decent down. Also, the large berm at the bottom of the decent need construction, but all of the materials are in place. We also need to walk the trial and clean up some tree growth. It's going to be a legendary trial! The bridge is absolutely awesome! It's so bid and tall, that the first part is actually a 60' climb. The new jumps trail should be a big hit with everyone! 2 doubles and a table-top jump right before the tunnel section....I can't wait to ride it! Our crew will be away at the Alafia race, so completion will have to wait until Oct 30!! Did anyone notice some of the recent trail work??

TRANCER
    I will be there early tomorrow. I can't wait to see all the new work out there. Good job man. Amelia has gotten to be such a great trail to ride. Hey EXPERTRIDER what ever happened to the diving board that used to be out there?
    Ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    rode it yesterday, and Emilia is quickly becoming my favorite park to ride..

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Diving board is still there, covered in jungle right now. I might get to it after 1) new bridge trail, 2) New BMX section, 3) Reopening Car trail for the winter (too wet in Summer)...

Expert Crasher
    Diving board is still there, covered in jungle right now. I might get to it after 1) new bridge trail, 2) New BMX section, 3) Reopening Car trail for the winter (too wet in Summer)...
    Expert - another kudos to you and your crew. Hands down, the best thing that's happened to Amelia in the past few years. Glad to see 2 Coconut Cup races there this year too - will highlight this course well.

These new sections - are they they all in Little Razorback?

My last trip out (Monday 11 Oct), saw a good sized Fox running on the trail and a handfull of turtles out. Did my best to police up some trash along the trail.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for helping with the trash...and thanks for noticing the effort our group has put in. As for the trash, I have 2 volunteer days with 30+ high-school kids coming up. They will be tasked with picking up EVERY piece of garbage that we can. I hope to have the trails perfect for race day. I also have a really cool course setup in mind for each race!!

As for the new sections: the new bridge and jumps are in the closed-off portion of the old Kitty Cat trail. THe new BMX trail and BMX TRACK will be in the big cleared area at the end of the Razorback trail. (THe trail around the official BMX track will be BMX themed with jumps, berms, etc...) Another developer is getting the legal stuff in order for the construction of the BMX race track. I'm also open to building a pump course in that area, since I'd like to make it a real destination for all off-road riders.
    We plan to actually use the full BMX track during races.....cool stuff!!

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast