Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemedix911
    Do it. The trail is perfect. No more mud. You'll love it.
    Thanks. I've ben out there twice in the past month - it's my new favorite spot. The flow and speed beat Oleta, my former favorite.

I'm there tomorrow morning - will see if my legs can take 4 laps after the short absence.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    We added an awesome new section next to the Key Biscayne climb! [1pm on Sat Nov 13th 2010]- That miserable right-handed hairpin turn before magic carpet has been eliminated! Now, a jump/drop-off takes you straight out towards the lake, thru a new berm (still have to fine tune it) and back into a new climb into magic carpet. Its seems to be a 1000% improvement over the previous section......someone give me some feedback!.....enjoy!!

TRANCER
    I will be there 1st thing tomorrow morning
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by EXPERTRIDER
    We added an awesome new section next to the Key Biscayne climb! [1pm on Sat Nov 13th 2010]- That miserable right-handed hairpin turn before magic carpet has been eliminated! Now, a jump/drop-off takes you straight out towards the lake, thru a new berm (still have to fine tune it) and back into a new climb into magic carpet. Its seems to be a 1000% improvement over the previous section......someone give me some feedback!.....enjoy!!
    Can't quite picture in my mind what you are talking about, but then again I'm retarded. It sounds fun though. Will get back to you as soon as I can get out there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    hated that hairpin... thought it was a useless part of that track... cannot wait to ride it..
    thanks again..

Trail Junkie
    I will be out there mon. morning for sure, but if you say you got rid of that hairpin turn..I am nothing but sad faces Yah right...that was definitely the worst part of the part, it really didn't flow with the rest of the park what so ever! I wanted to get out there this morning and help w/ maintenance, but a friend asked me to ride Markham.. Very excited to see the improvement on hairpin and magic carpet!!!!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    EXPERT, what about putting trash cans around to keep up with ppl throwing trash everywhere? I guess they'd have to be hauled out every now and then though... Is there a place close to Amelia to dump trash at?

Edit: next time i go riding, I'm hitting Amelia up with everyone else I can muster

Trail Junkie
    Really there is no reason why you can't take your trash with you. The only think you should be leaving is tire tracks and foot prints! I know in theory that's how its suppose to work, but but its a trickle effect, it starts with you and I...but then again, I don't litter or leave trash.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

beware the grammar police
    i ride markham ~4 to 5 days a week.... i been wanting to ride amelia but i am unsure how to get there... i live in broward next to FLL.... someone post up directions from I95/I595...

would like to know how to get to oleita and quiet waters also......

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    We have a few trash cans in the trails: top of Chupacabra hill, picnic benches in lil Razorback, the old playground in the swamp, etc.... It's a pain because the park doesn't really have a way to get back there to empty those cans, so we have to do it!
    I emptied all of the cans this week and put double trash bags in the cans. Hopefully we can keep up with it going forward! After the cleanup last week, any little piece of garbage really stands out now! If everyone could please just try to help with picking up anything really obvious, it helps so much. Once someone sees trash on the ground, they have no problem just throwing more down....and it keeps going...

I think things are really looking nice and pristine in the trails right now! I haven't even been able to ride the new section that we just built next to KB climb!
    WE also starting putting the fill in place for the new berm for the last corner in Coffee trail (its the one that gets really muddy).
    I've also starting moving some dirt around in the BMX extension at the hairpin in lil Razorback. Once complete (maybe 2 weeks away) you will continue straight thru the hairpin turn and out into the open area, over some new jumps, back up onto the area where the white fill is, then down and back into lil Razorback at the top of where the hairpin turn is now....
    Everything should be ready to go for the December race!!!! Enjoy....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Im goin to go ride Amelia in a few minutes.. Expert, do you have a trail map with the names on the trail. I would love to give you feedback on the new climb, but honestly im not sure what trail it is.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

I don't know any of the trails by name, but I am sure to check out the trails again soon!!!
    Maybe this week
    Thanks for all the hard work guys!!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EXPERTRIDER
    I don't know which section of the trail is called "Magic Carpet", but I think I know which hairpin turn you're talking about...the one where you have to brake going through it because it's angled downward towards the outside of the turn, and then goes straight into a mound. If it's the turn I'm thinking of, then THANK YOU! I hated that little turn!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I rode the new section that we opened Saturday afternoon (next to KB climb, by the lake), it's a million times better than the old hairpin turn! The new berm still needs a good rain and some re-shaping, but it's a huge improvement!
    If you get a chance, take a peek out into the BMX area (at the hairpin turn in lil Razorback)
    We started the rough draft of the first giant double-jump...it's around 6' high!
    The second double will be identical, just about 30' further down the trail.
    We will be out of town at the Alva race this weekend, so the BMX extension may take another week to complete, but it'll be awesome!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yeah my same exact thoughts expert. It looks like it may rain tomorrow so that should do it for that berm. It'll be a good test as well for the work you did on filling trick or treat. That hairpin used to kick mu you know what. On my SS it was a hard turn although the one I can never make on my SS is the Lil Razorback. That one still gets me. I saw the down trees and stuff so I suspected that some work had been done but I've been having issues dropping the chain so I just wanted to get out of there. I'll make sure I check it out tomorrow.

Trail Junkie
    I am not trying to sound like a hater, but I can just see it now...more ambulances at Amelia. Oleta got rid of the jumps at Area 52 for that reason. I don't mind jumps, and like the ones already on the trail, but adding big BMX jumps will just attract kids. They will most likely be riding a bike inadaquite for jumping, and many might not even have helmets.

If you wanted to do something for BMX, i'd say put in a pump track with some sort of wooden start ramp and let them race on that..impliment some large berms and some table tops and stuff.

The main thing is to make it safe, that is one of the greatest traits of Amelia that I tell everyone wanting to improve at MTB or get into it as a sport. The trails at Amelia can provide that.

I do appreciate all the hard work that has been put into the trails, but I am not sure that it is in the park's best interest to have a bunch of big jumps that there is a lot of potential for people to get hurt on, and I am not refering to avid riders that are capable of doing it. Im speaking of the inexperienced kids that are on sub-par bikes and novice skills.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Dub,

A few things to note about the jumps:
    I am HUGE on safety and making sure no one gets hurt! I've been a paramedic for over 23 years (wow!) and both me and the park manager want things to be SAFE!
    The jumps are only built in that area because it is already an advanced section with signs indicating such. Also, the jumps can simply be "rolled thru", which seems to be what all beginner-level riders do anyway. I have only seen more advanced riders clearing all of the doubles.
    The open area at the end of lil Razor is planned to have a full, red-clay NBL/USA cycling sanctioned BMX track built very soon! The developer is working thru the extensive approval process with the County to get the required approval and contracts.
    A BMX-themed MTB trail will surround the BMX track....but,
    Since we have several MTB races scheduled for the next several months, I wanted to put some "temporary" features in the area to eliminate that miserable hairpin in Razorback!
    The BMX-themed trail will actually begin where we are working now, it will just follow a little closer to the fence-line and around the center area.
    As for a pump-track...my idea is to make the BMX themed trail around the BMX track a full pump track style trail!! I have the tools and material, I just need some more time to finish clearing the garbage and crap piled up along the fence area. My worked got stopped because we found giant piles of concrete light poles and concrete parking curbs....those suckers are seriously heavy. You may have noticed that I have begun to use some of that material in the trail.
    After I get that stuff moved, I'll continue to clear that land, and start work on the absolutely coolest and most bad-ass pump-track trail anywhere!!!! ...
    As for the dumb-asses with Wal-Mart Bikes and no helmets going into the advanced sections....I let them know that they have to leave the trail....now....and I explain the rules...unfortunately me and the other (very few) MTB patrol members are the only ones that seem to enforce the helmet required policy...and everywhere seems to have the same problem....

Trail Junkie
    Well it sounds very promising, and based on the work done to the park, I have no doubts that it will compliment the rest of the trails really well. In my book, Amelia is most well maintained park in S. FL. and I know it has made a difference. Every day I show up to the trails there is at least 4-5 other cars, and another 5-6 when I leave. One year ago, there might be one other car, and that was it! So the work that has been put into the park is nothing short of exemplary!

I don't doubt your ability to make the trails safe, and I do say something if I see riders w/o helmets on, regardless of what kind of bike they are riding, but it is Hialeah, and there is always kids being kids in the park.

One thing that I would like to mention, and I don't know if there is some way to make it happen is to slow people down hauling ass down the gravel road. Posted speed limit in the park is 15 MPH, and people average 20-25 some well over 30 on an unimproved road, at this rate, it will have to be regraveled again by spring. I just hate to see all the money put into making that gravel road nice get tore up.

Either way though, Great Job by the maintenance crew, and keep up the great work!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

i asked once before and got no answer.... i go to oleta and markham... but i do not know where amelia is....

would someone PLEASE tell me where amelia is??

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by paco664
    i asked once before and got no answer.... i go to oleta and markham... but i do not know where amelia is....

would someone PLEASE tell me where amelia is??
    Hialeah, FL
    http://www.miamidade.gov/parks/parks/amelia_earhart.asp

Just keep trying!!!!!!
    Amelia is in Hialeah at 65st and east 4th ave,google it so you can have an idea of how to get to the park but is really easy to get there.
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by RSANT994
    thanks... i work at MIA and take the palmetto to get to 36th and the backside of the airport....

so i will take 68th the whole way to 65th and 4th..... sweet....

i may run by there in the morning after work... thank you!!

Just keep trying!!!!!!
    East 4th ave end right at the entrance of the park.Good luck
    Roy

Just keep trying!!!!!!
    i think u said you're coming from broward,well get palmeto and get off nw 37 ave make a left toward the opa-locka Airport then make a right at 65st the park is two blocks ahead.!!!!!!
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Ant
    i think u said you're coming from broward,well get palmeto and get off nw 37 ave make a left toward the opa-locka Airport then make a right at 65st the park is two blocks ahead.!!!!!!
    perfect!!! thanks...

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast