Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thank you all for noticing the hard work we've been putting in! I also love the new section, but I've decided to make 2 small changes: The starting hill part needs a more gradual climb on the front side, so I plan on adding several loads of fill to make it faster up the hill (the goal there was to keep your speed and get a big boost for the jumps). The next change is the jumps themselves. I've been clearing the jumps on every lap, but they have way too much lip! Even trying to stay low, I'm landing past the landing ramp and getting too much vertical height. I'm going to smooth-down the lip a little so that the jumps require a small amount of lifting up.
    I think the rest of the trail just needs a little more riding, and perhaps a few dry days to see what else needs work.
    I think the berm turned out great, but its really important to stay high and far left if you're going really fast. I've been able to rail the berm at close to full speed, and it holds the wheels without any hint of sliding.....but it's tight when you're flying!
    Today's rain was unreal...it absolutely poured all day! I'm sure everything is soaked, and probably shouldn't be ridden until Thursday afternoon (if it doesn't rain again) at the earliest.
    This Saturday morning from 9a to noon is the trail clean-up project. I have several volunteer HS groups coming out to help pick up every piece of trash in the trails. We could use help if anyone is interested. Any tires (I think there are 5 in the trails) or trash anywhere needs to go! Thanks!

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Nothing galls me more than folks leaving trash and tires behind.. I guess they live like that at home too
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    On my way to Amelia right now. Let's see if it dried up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Firemedix,
    how wet was the trail...or has it dried up..

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Not bad at all taking into account the rain we've had for the last three days. Ur usual muddy spots that have not gotten filled yet. Nothing too bad. I had no issues with the mud. I did however saw they guys working out there. Again great job you guys are doing. All I've got to say is to watch for the new obstacle added right after Little Razor Back. Big tractor right there. LOL. Jk.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The big backHoe is out of the way now!! We fixed the 2nd rabbit ears section. It had a little erosion starting, so I reshaped the entire downhill into something that won't erode, and something faster and much more fun. I also re-built the old carpet berm over by the Key Biscayne climb. We removed the carpet, added a ton of fill, and reshaped it smooth and FAST!
    Also, added: 2 new black-dirt berms in the rabbit ears drops after lil Razorback, a re-built starting hill and re-shaped jumps in Golden Gate Trail, and finally filled the 2nd and 3rd berms in the first trail section....(and removed some invasive trees in the process)...

Tomorrow (Saturday, November 6th 2010) we plan to fill the remaining mud puddles: early in Coffee trail before 1st climb, Coffee trail in the dense tree canopy area, old Playground area (200m after Camel Humps)... That's all that I've seen...maybe a little in lil Razorback before the tree tunnel.....

Let me know what you think...I have to pre-ride Markham tomorrow, and race on Sunday....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Expert, it sounds like you guys are doing trail maintenance like maniacs! I can't wait to get back out there and check out all the improvements, plus the Golden Gate Trail. It wasn't ready yet the last time I rode.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    this trail sounds great. is it better than markham? I make it down to south fl a few times a year and want to check it out

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I Love the trail. I don't knoe about better than Markham but it is very fast. Specially with all the stuff the crew is doing out there. As I was ridding today I waas thinking of how I ride almost every day. and every time I show up there's something new done to the trail.

By the way I still can't land on the right side of the jumps after the bridge in the new section. I have to work on that. But then again I can't expect much after 3 months of ridding.

Hey Expert by the way thanks on the heads up on the backHoe. I wished I had time to process what you said before I went into that section. LOL. Yeah that was me. But no harm done.Nothing wrong with a little walk every now and then. I bet that someone prob fell before you guys were done.

Forgot to mention I liked the "Golden Gate Bridge Trail" sign. Yeah I noticed. Again good job.

mtbr member
    I think that is at least Cat 4 hurricane proof!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The reviews sound good so far!
    I think we built the bridge for Cat 5 standards!!
    We had to do a lot to make it fairly vandal-proof...
    The question was asked: "Is it better than Markham?".
    If you're a cross-country, go fast type rider that likes jumping and good flow, then yes, without any doubt.
    If you're a big-hit, go slow, big rock drops and gnarly rock log overs type rider, then no, Markham has big rocks and extremely eroded climbs to challenge you.

Personally, I like to go fast. I like great flow. I never want to touch my brakes for the whole lap. I like smooth jumps that let me keep full-speed. I like big berms, high-speed rollers, and not getting beat to death every lap.
    Today I rode Markham to pre-ride for the State race tomorrow. I briefly helped one guy that fire rescue had to carry out. Another expert class rider fell and was hurt pretty badly.
    Has anyone seen fire rescue carry people out of Amelia?
    I'd never let my kids ride Markham. It's been my home course for almost 20 years. I've raced every race held there since 1995, including winning the solo 12 hours of Markham, and a gazillion others. I live right next to the park, and I've probably ridden there more than anyone. But it's just not being maintained properly, and that's why I took my ideas and work to Amelia.
    So, that's my opinion on if it's better......to me....yes.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey Expert u r right. I feel the same way. I reay like Amelia but to be fair I've been only once at Markham. But it is a bit more technical. But Amelia is my favorite. And if you are training for a race Amelia is the place to train. The reason I didn't said if it was better than Markham is Bc that's completely subjective. But I can say Amelia has certainly come a very long way thanks to the guys doing the hard work. Take care see u out there.

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedix911
    Hey Expert u r right. I feel the same way. I reay like Amelia but to be fair I've been only once at Markham. But it is a bit more technical. But Amelia is my favorite. And if you are training for a race Amelia is the place to train. The reason I didn't said if it was better than Markham is Bc that's completely subjective. But I can say Amelia has certainly come a very long way thanks to the guys doing the hard work. Take care see u out there.
    Today I did my first Amelia ride and my second lap was with Firemedix..
    Thanks for the ride!!
    I must say that I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to ride Amelia,
    and how all of it flows so nicely. There are enough hills to climb up and down
    to keep it interesting and the new bridge-feature is really nice!
    You can't compare Markham and Amelia but IMHO these two parks complement eachother more than most people realize.
    For cardio and fast flow, go to Amelia and for technical riding go ride Markham. Both are just very different and great in their own respective ways..

TRANCER
    Great running into Expertrider this morning. Things look awesome ! Been meaning to get out there since last week but I got hit with the flu and am now finally getting over it after a week. Keep up the awesome work man. I cannot stress enough how much I and I'm sure everyone else appreciate your hard work.
    Ride

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW
    Thanks for the ride!!
    You can't compare Markham and Amelia but IMHO these two parks complement eachother more than most people realize.
    For cardio and fast flow, go to Amelia and for technical riding go ride Markham. Both are just very different and great in their own respective ways..
    What car were you guys in? I think I saw you guys. I was in my work blue Ford Ranger and the blue Giant Trance X3.
    Ride

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    What car were you guys in? I think I saw you guys. I was in my work blue Ford Ranger and the blue Giant Trance X3.
    I was in a Chevy Avalanche parked close to the trail entrance, and ride a Trek EX7. Firemedix was in his big black truck. We had just met in the parking area and went for lap #2 together. It is nice to follow someone who knows the trails..

TRANCER
    Cool, yeah man I saw you guys. And yeah its nice to know what's coming and how you're going to take it by watching the person infront of you. Especially if they know the trails like the back of their hand
    Ride

mtbr member

Fwiw......

I prefer Amelia to Markam. Hate riding and having another trail merge every 50 yards, feels like I am a hamster riding in a wheel...just not natural. I have not ridden Amelia since the changes, but even before they were done I thought that they had the best flow of any trails in S. Florida.

Now if you want to know what the BEST trails are in Florida....nothing beats the riding I have within 1/2 hour of my house....Alafia, Boyette and Carter Road. Every once in awhile we break it up and head to Santos to do the epic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Expertrider,
    congrats...you and your crew have turned Amelia into one of the best flowing parks I have ridden. I was also there today and loved how the new bridge trail flows with the rest of the park..
    It is an extremely fast park..definately a great cardio workout.
    thanks again..

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW
    Thanks for the ride!!
    What's up Oscar. It was cool as ridding with you as as well. My buddy was toasted today after unloading tiles with his brother all day long. Wuss. LOL!!

Any time you wanna come down shoot me a message and I may make it out there. I'll shoot at you whenever I decide to go Markham.

Biohazard. What's up man. Yeah I saw you and your truck across from us. Awesome weather for ridding today.

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedix911
    What's up Oscar. It was cool as ridding with you as as well. My buddy was toasted today after unloading tiles with his brother all day long. Wuss. LOL!!

Any time you wanna come down shoot me a message and I may make it out there. I'll shoot at you whenever I decide to go Markham.

Biohazard. What's up man. Yeah I saw you and your truck across from us. Awesome weather for ridding today.
    Your friend looked like he was toast... Will do on the message thing but I must admit I am not that much on this forum...

Biohazard, I had ridden the trail solo before hooking up with Firemedix, but had to stop a few times to get the lay of the land a bit. Following him on round two helped a lot All in all, I had a great time today!!

TRANCER
    Cool man. Next time ill stop and say hi. Maybe do a lap or 2 together. It was definately an awesome day to ride today. I'm coming back from the flu and was having a tough time today getting 2 laps in today. I had to take a very long break in between laps because I just couldn't stop coughing and the cold air wasn't helping much. Had me a little fustrated. Lol but as stubborn as I am I wasn't going to leave unless I had 2 laps in. But yeah man the weather is amazing right now. Coupled with the fast trails it was perfect.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    It was cool meeting some of you on the trail recently! The feedback I'm hearing seems to indicate that we're on the right track!!
    We filled a few of the mud spots that were identified during the last heavy rain. A few more will be taken care of THIS THURSDAY!! HELP NEEDED if you can.. I'd really like to fill the 100 yards of Trick or Treat Trail that has yet to be filled in....I have the loader and tools...just need some help spreading the fill....
    This afternoon I finished up the touch-ups on the 3 berms in Coffee Trail. The 3rd berm was made much higher.....and FYI, the HS volunteer group on Saturday filled 20 large trash bags of garbage from the trail.
    We're really trying to make a good impression during the December State race, so any help with keeping things pretty is appreciated!!

Expert Crasher
    How are the conditions after the latest rains? I've been out of the country the past 8-9 days and have a few days off. Itching to get my Karate Monkey dirty again......
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Do it. The trail is perfect. No more mud. You'll love it.

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast