Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast
    FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    I like Amelia for the flow and the aerobic work-out it gives you, but for technical riding I prefer Markham. I think both parks have their pro's and cons. Never have ridden Oleta or VK. Can't stand the Miami traffic, too many morons behind the wheel...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Virginia key is a slightly shorter slightly more technical Amelia. Really nice flow to it, fun ride overall. And oleta has more technical climbs than markham and it's much longer. I'd say markham an oleta require the same skill level. Catch either one around 8am and there's not many morons on the road yet!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vegan_warrior View Post
    Virginia key is a slightly shorter slightly more technical Amelia. Really nice flow to it, fun ride overall. And oleta has more technical climbs than markham and it's much longer. I'd say markham an oleta require the same skill level. Catch either one around 8am and there's not many morons on the road yet!
    But you still have to deal with the morons that actually work the gate of Virginia Key. From what ive seen they charge you whatever they feel like, between $4 to $8 just for entry and then threaten to tow your car if they cant see the receipt on your dashboard..

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike View Post
    But you still have to deal with the morons that actually work the gate of Virginia Key. From what ive seen they charge you whatever they feel like, between $4 to $8 just for entry and then threaten to tow your car if they cant see the receipt on your dashboard..
    Good point, tho I believe theyve taken care if the mishap already. Should be back to normal. I'll find out soon enough, will probably go this week

Welcome to Miami I guess...
    I have a MTB Patrol placard for my car so getting in is not the issue, but too may peeps getting reamed at the gate is. This is bad for the trail system as a whole. Miami Dade is so frickin' corrupt....
    Broward may be snooty to some and is somewhat less corrupt.... but the admission price in Markham in the weekend is, I believe, $1.50 per car for EVERYONE, making the trails less expensive to ride....

mtbr member
    never had a problem at VK, they have changed the addmission to $6 plus $1 extra for each additional bike.
    29er from now on!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Rode Amelia tonight, great ride, trails were in great shape and the new direction was fun, never been that way, but I felt it was faster than last time I rode.

Thanks to the trail volunteers for a great job!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The trail direction is reversed every month, I believe.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Markham admission is:

Free on the weekdays

$1.50 per person on weekends and holidays

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Love how posts get deleted here

mtbr member
    went out this afternoon, haven't been there since June due to all the rain we've been having. since when did they raise the admission to $6, are they following in Virginia Keys plan. anyway trails are in great shape. lots of new berms since the last time I rode here. had to avoid running over lots of big lizards, especialy one that was on the long dowhill at the beginning, almost ran him over, he ran just in front of my front wheel the whole way down. think I'm going to start coming here more often to get ready for the Cactus Cup race in December.
    29er from now on!!!

Just keep trying!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by robpad View Post
    went out this afternoon, haven't been there since June due to all the rain we've been having. since when did they raise the admission to $6, are they following in Virginia Keys plan. anyway trails are in great shape. lots of new berms since the last time I rode here. had to avoid running over lots of big lizards, especialy one that was on the long dowhill at the beginning, almost ran him over, he ran just in front of my front wheel the whole way down. think I'm going to start coming here more often to get ready for the Cactus Cup race in December.
    as far as i remember they always charge 6 dollars only on weekends and hollidays,week days is free.
    Roy

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Ant View Post
    as far as i remember they always charge 6 dollars only on weekends and hollidays,week days is free.
    Correct info
    Ride

mtbr member
    what's a good average lap time for a novice class rider at Amelia. last year I did a 39 min lap for my first race ever on a 10 yr old bike.
    29er from now on!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    what's a good average lap time for a novice class rider at Amelia. last year I did a 39 min lap for my first race ever on a 10 yr old bike.
    A friend and I did a lap in 36 this past weekend. It was a nice steady pace, not really pushing too hard just focusing on not using the brakes as much and properly throwing the bike into the corners.

If we were to go a faster pace I'd say we could do 32 min in its current configuration. Probably 30 if they flip the direction the other way. And I'd say we're novices.

Amelia is a momentum park. Shift a lot, keep your pedaling pretty constant, stay of the brakes, corner hard and know where to go fast and where to maintain steady. It's easy to burn yourself out before the climbs in the back.

Rodizio
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vegan_warrior View Post
    A friend and I did a lap in 36 this past weekend. It was a nice steady pace, not really pushing too hard just focusing on not using the brakes as much and properly throwing the bike into the corners.

If we were to go a faster pace I'd say we could do 32 min in its current configuration. Probably 30 if they flip the direction the other way. And I'd say we're novices.

Amelia is a momentum park. Shift a lot, keep your pedaling pretty constant, stay of the brakes, corner hard and know where to go fast and where to maintain steady. It's easy to burn yourself out before the climbs in the back.
    when you guys say "a lap", are you talking about a "race lap" of 6-7 miles or just "a lap" around Amelia which is longer (i'm not sure how much longer though)?

also, what is the "race lap" course at Amelia? I know it's not the entire trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

No good

Quote Originally Posted by MysticKJ View Post
    when you guys say "a lap", are you talking about a "race lap" of 6-7 miles or just "a lap" around Amelia which is longer (i'm not sure how much longer though)?

also, what is the "race lap" course at Amelia? I know it's not the entire trail.
    Im talking about every trail. All the intermediates, none of the beginner bypasses. It's somewhere between 6-7 miles

Edit: only trail you don't do is trick or treat which is closed right now anyway. And doing trick or treat cuts out almost 2 miles of trails iirc
    Last edited by vegan_warrior; 10-04-2012 at 11:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I miss Amelia. Maybe next weekend I'll have to test the new bike on it's trails..

Just keep trying!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ord View Post
    I miss Amelia. Maybe next weekend I'll have to test the new bike on it's trails..
    Before you go make sure to check if the trail is open,i love the job that the trail crew is doing but it looks like this place is becoming a private place if it rain they close the trail because it create holes and mud,who cares whats the difference between a hole and a bump how many bumps they've put on this trail and if u get dirty go jump on the lake,now you can only comment on the admins posts no new threads allowed,no other stuf other than amelia,is this a Comunism or what.Very disaponted
    Roy

Just keep trying!!!!!!
    Come on guys the rest of our local trails are always open,if it rains and you want to get dirty thats your problem after all this is Mountain biking.
    Roy

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Ant View Post
    if it rain they close the trail because it create holes and mud,who cares whats the difference between a hole and a bump
    I care as do a lot of others. Riding when it is really muddy ****s up the trails which means the workers spend more time repairing instead of building new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JonMX5 View Post
    I care as do a lot of others. Riding when it is really muddy ****s up the trails which means the workers spend more time repairing instead of building new stuff.
    You got it.
    Too many folks who never help out trail-building have no clue how much work is involved to repair things. We just completed a few repairs in Markham that took 3 days and 85 Tons of fill to accomplish. The amount of peeps however, doing all that work, could be counted on the fingers of one hand...YMMV

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    You got it.
    Too many folks who never help out trail-building have no clue how much work is involved to repair things. We just completed a few repairs in Markham that took 3 days and 85 Tons of fill to accomplish. The amount of peeps however, doing all that work, could be counted on the fingers of one hand...YMMV
    I've yet to help but the work is much appreciated. I was there last weekend and the erosion was getting pretty bad in some spots. I can't wait to try out the new Armadillo trail

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Anybody know what direction the trails are running and the shape they are in?

Just keep trying!!!!!!
    They're running reversed till the end of the year after the races,and they are fast very fast,exellent shape.
    Roy

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast