Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptkaos View Post
    I appreciate all the effort that goes into maintaining the trails there, but let me say that I strongly disagree with a lot of the new changes made to the track. The track is maintained by dedicated racers and its turned into a BMX/Supercross track rather than a great trail system. I dont think they have concerns for novices or families either as the signage is very poor and there isnt a good green to green route around the place. I think the pump track is great and well designed, but all of the new jumps are really ruining the track. They need to leave the front section of the trails alone and make the razorback, 8pt hill area into their little bmx playground. Also instead of adding so many more jumps maybe filling in the areas that flood on TT and near the exit, as well as adding some drainage might be an overall better use of time. The direction its running now is THE ONLY direction this track should be run as its so much better. I hate to complain because they do work hard there, but it seems to be directed in only one manner, towards adding jumps. I have been riding Oleta on weekends instead and that place is shear genius and magnificent use of land and terrain to form an awesome trail system. So on the weekends its Oleta and Markham for me. I will go to Amelia during a weekday, and if Virginia Key keeps getting better, it will steal my mid week riding.
    It depends what kind of jumps you're talking about. On one hand, there is the tabletop that was rebuilt on the big hill with the bench. That thing is awesome now.

Then you have all of the new speedbumps which completely kill the flow and are just a terrible idea. There was a bunch of complaining about them on the Facebook page until LaRue got pissy, told everyone they weren't good enough to ride them, and then deleted the posts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Well thats the problem, although he puts a lot of effort into the track, in fact most or all of it, it is still a public track and not his personal riding course. So it seems like a monarchy, where the interests of the majority are not taken into consideration. I am sure that many people have many good ideas regarding track design and features. The one thing that really gets me is the poor signage and markings throughout the track, its easy to assume that people will find the way around when you are out there every day and ridden countless laps, it seems silly that people cant find the way around. Thats when you have to consider a first time rider or family of riders with children, who are scared, tired and get lost or cannot find a way around safely because the routes from green to green are not marked. Theres really no excuse for that. Its a one time effort that pays off going forward.
    I hope he leaves the front part of the track alone aside from filling in the areas that get flooded, and adding new features such as log overs, catwalks, bridges, etc, but not more silly jumps.
    Saying we cant ride and deleting posts is just an example of how its his playground. Again, thank God he is a dedicated hard worker, but why not consider some constructive input from a broad range of riders?

mtbr member
    I was there for the first time recently and thought the same thing "WTF, with all these motocross style ups and down / jumps? Realistically what percentage of the riders can actually pedal up a few of those steep jumps?
    Better 2 ask 4 pardon than 2 ask for permission. Recall that nxt time U feel you have 2 ask ur wife if U can buy something

TRANCER
    Just came from Amelia and the trails were real nice. I love all the jumps and climbs at the park. Havent been there in a few months due to work. Expertrider is a bad ass with the trail building. Keep it up man
    Ride

Rodizio
    Jul 2011
    I haven't been to Amelia in awhile...anyone have any photos or videos of those changes people seem to not like?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I started MTBing about 12 years ago and my first ride was a Amelia. I have seen that park go from basically a dump with trails to the the park it is now. In the 12 years that I have been riding there, noone has made a bigger impact on that park than ExpertRider. He's done a great job on the trails and more importantly, Miami-Dade County Parks now sees it as something positive.
    All in all, there will be those that complain, but in the long run, it's very well maintained and the crew out there are doing a great job.. Keep it up guys

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Nobody is arguing that he works hard. This is a community trail not his personal playground. Changing the track to a Supercross stadium or BMX bowl is not what the majority wants. Today I noticed another clone of the typical EXPERTRIDER jump. A little woop on the face of a larger jump, covered with carpet. Theres already about 4 of these out there, and now theres one heading into the carpet trail, on the hill coming out of the greens and up onto that tricky bridge. If that doesnt cause a ton of accidents, I would be shocked. Its the worst possible place to put yet another one. The new carpet on the berms before it are superb, only to be ruined by that stupid jump. I think if I see another one of those bumps I am going to go nuts. There are a hundred other things the track could benefit from rather than dumb jumps with pre-jumps under carpet. Go to Oleta or Markham and learn how to build a trail system. Even VK has better features.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nobody is arguing that he works hard. This is a community trail not his personal playground. Changing the track to a Supercross stadium or BMX bowl is not what the majority wants. Today I noticed another clone of the typical EXPERTRIDER jump. A little woop on the face of a larger jump, covered with carpet. Theres already about 4 of these out there, and now theres one heading into the carpet trail, on the hill coming out of the greens and up onto that tricky bridge. If that doesnt cause a ton of accidents, I would be shocked. Its the worst possible place to put yet another one. The new carpet on the berms before it are superb, only to be ruined by that stupid jump. I think if I see another one of those bumps I am going to go nuts. There are a hundred other things the track could benefit from rather than dumb jumps with pre-jumps under carpet. Go to Oleta or Markham and learn how to build a trail system. Even VK has better features.
    I'm not trying to start a shouting match here but I like jumps. All the times I've ridden Amelia I have really enjoyed it. I've only seen a couple on this thread complain, compared the the masses that like it. Also, I like the diversity in trails in S. Fl. and "you" have the right to go to those other trail you like better. Steve has done a great job out there. Let it go. If if doesn't flow I'm sure he'll fix it.

Jackalope Hunter
    I don't know why (some) strictly XC riders are so opposed to jumps etc in trails. I agree that trail features should have go-arounds for those who don't like to hit them (at least on beginner and intermediate trails) but I also agree with offcamber, jumps add a fun, challenging element that makes the trail appeal to a wider variety of riders. If you don't like them, don't hit them.By the way, its kind of a rule that the ones doing the most work gets to have the most say in the design of the trail. That's why we call them "trail bosses"
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So you dont think its dangerous to put that jump on the face of the hill going up that tricky bridge?

Just keep trying!!!!!!
    everyone should know their limits i ride with my son the whole trail and i don't let him do anything that may cause him an injure ive seen very irresponsibe people riding the trails with kids with no helmets on intermediate trails,but if u think the bumps are dangerous you can always skip them,a couple of years ago not that long this park was a jungle unridable durig the summer,they're some spot on the trail that i would prefered where diferent but you know what i can't complain i never voluntier so in my opinion the La rues and the other guys are doing a tremendous job in making amelia the park that today is.
    Roy

Rodizio
    Jul 2011
    i have to get to Amelia next time I ride to see what changes have been made...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjudy13 View Post
    I don't know why (some) strictly XC riders are so opposed to jumps etc in trails. I agree that trail features should have go-arounds for those who don't like to hit them (at least on beginner and intermediate trails) but I also agree with offcamber, jumps add a fun, challenging element that makes the trail appeal to a wider variety of riders. If you don't like them, don't hit them.By the way, its kind of a rule that the ones doing the most work gets to have the most say in the design of the trail. That's why we call them "trail bosses"
    The problem isn't that jumps are being added, the problem is that just a couple of them are inappropriately placed and really aren't jumps at all. They detract rather than add to the trail

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonMX5 View Post
    The problem isn't that jumps are being added, the problem is that just a couple of them are inappropriately placed and really aren't jumps at all. They detract rather than add to the trail
    Whenever someone say "the problem is....."

...the solution is to fix said problem.
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So you dont think its dangerous to put that jump on the face of the hill going up that tricky bridge?
    Rode Amelia again today looking for what you were talking about. If this is the jump and bridge your talking about, then no I don't think so. I didn't even know it was a "jump" until I pedaled over it. In my opinion there might be a couple obstacles on the course I'd consider a jump but none are dangerous. It's all in you approach and skill level to them.

This is a Jump

I would like to see some of these but I'll take what I can get.

Rodizio
    Jul 2011
    I went to Amelia for the first time in awhile. I saw the parts that people are discussing, some bumps seemed oddly placed, but I didn't think anything was dangerous.

Rodizio
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OffCamber View Post
    This is a Jump
    i can't even keep my feet attached to the bike on the smallest of jumps...is that Markham?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yea, it was a rogue hip jump off the Area 51 trail. Not there anymore. There are still some hidden gems throughout the trail system but lots changed with all the re-routing.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Ok... Been at least a couple of months since I've ridden Amelia...

First of all, "Thank you to all the TM people".... That place is flowing very well... The added carpets in the berms are fun!

I saw nothing that seemed oddly placed... Was the issue maybe when it was in the reversed direction? Today when I rode, it was running in its normal direction...

You cannot make everyone happy... Keep up the great work!

This place has really transformed in the last couple of years!

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Any update on the condition of the trails? I'm hoping to head out there on Sunday.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    I understand that the trail was closed on Sunday..... If so, it must still be flooded from Isaac..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    I understand that the trail was closed on Sunday..... If so, it must still be flooded from Isaac..
    It was actually open on sunday. Well at least from 10 till 1 while I was there Thanks though!

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by reedfe View Post
    It was actually open on sunday. Well at least from 10 till 1 while I was there Thanks though!
    That is good!! Had a good ride??
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I find amelia to be an awesome park. flows VERY well in the direction its in now, and its got to be my personal favorite at the moment.

keep up the good work :thumbup:

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    That is good!! Had a good ride??
    It was alright. Not my favorite trail but its up there. I like how it flowed but at times, it felt too man-made with all the carpets (but I'm sure that is for erosion prevention.) I liked the couple of sweet berms it had but other that that, nothing too spectacular. I was able to get a nice workout because I didn't stop anywhere because there wasn't anywhere to stop. Overall it was a nice ride but I guess I like something a little more technical so I'll stick to Markham. Great trail though, just not my cup of tea. Next stop: Oleta!

Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast