Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by EXPERTRIDER
    Thanks for helping with the trash...and thanks for noticing the effort our group has put in. As for the trash, I have 2 volunteer days with 30+ high-school kids coming up. They will be tasked with picking up EVERY piece of garbage that we can. I hope to have the trails perfect for race day. I also have a really cool course setup in mind for each race!!

As for the new sections: the new bridge and jumps are in the closed-off portion of the old Kitty Cat trail. THe new BMX trail and BMX TRACK will be in the big cleared area at the end of the Razorback trail. (THe trail around the official BMX track will be BMX themed with jumps, berms, etc...) Another developer is getting the legal stuff in order for the construction of the BMX race track. I'm also open to building a pump course in that area, since I'd like to make it a real destination for all off-road riders.
    We plan to actually use the full BMX track during races.....cool stuff!!
    Just got back from doing 3 laps over there. Went to check out the cleared area but couldn't find where the bridge was i was looking forward to seeing it Trails look great ! Except for the area before you get to lil Razorback where there is a trash can. Looks like someone ran into the trash can and didn't bother to pick it up. Some guy was picking it up and was almost done by the time i got there and he was pissed. I told him id like to think it wa sthe racoons.But the trails were amazing today and flowed great ! The weather was amazing
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just ride along the lake and look towards the woods...I'm fairly certain you won't miss it!! I think it's visible from outer-space!

TRANCER
    Oh ok I was there. I wasn't sure if that was the right place. I actually saw it my 1st time around when I was doing lil razor back. Right before the turn where you turn to start doing the steep hills. where all that white rock is. But I didn't see the bridge. I will check it out sometime this week when I go again.
    Ride

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    Wish I would have taken some pics of the "almost finished" Golden Gate Bridge for you guys. But, I doubt pics will do justice. Some of us will be out of town this next weekend for a FSC race in Alafia... But we will be back in action the last Sat of the month. If you have a few hours to spare, please come out and help out for the grand opening.

PLEASE STAY OFF THE BRIDGE UNTILL ITS COMPLETELY APPROVED AND OPEN TO RIDE! an accident or injury will only jeopardise and delay all of our efforts to make these trails the best in S. Fl.

Happy Trails!
    ~every end is a new beginning...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    just rode 2 laps today and the trails are in the best condition EVER.Thanks guys,btw the bridge looks greatttt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Expert, you guys have done a great job with the trails. I rode 3 laps today (the last one with biohazard) and it was a blast. I've seen the progression of trail improvement since I started riding last year around September, and have been very impressed. I noticed the added signage for the novice trails...that's a good thing, since I've often come across families going for a casual bike ride not know which way to go.

We looked for the new bridge as we rode the trails but couldn't find it. We did come across the BMX section though. It looks pretty cool...looks like you guys moved around a lot of gravel to make it happen!

I noticed you mentioned reopening car trail...I once lost my way on the trails and stumbled across the car trail. The setup with the old junk car seemed really cool.

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    For those who have not seen the bridge in person, here are a few old pics of a while back. Much progress since then...

TRANCER
    Great meeting and riding with ya Oscar. Awesome pics Red Tomatoe! We definately did not see that. I cannot wait till that's done now. Like Oscar said we came across the BMX track (we believe) and it looks like a lot of fun. Amelia is the closest place for me to ride so seeing all of this has me pretty excited.

Btw when you guys work on it again post on here a few days before and give me a heads up. If I'm not working that weekend I'm more than glad to help. I have a crapload of tools as well that id be able to bring
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I attached a few more current pics! The climb on this bridge is a true climb, about 60'+ in length.The start is 10' wide then it narrows some towards the top. The flat part across the top is 5' wide, then the downhill part is rather steep!! It's shingled across every inch of surface for traction and durability. the wood is either 2x6 (top) or 2x10/12 on the climb.
    THe posts (12" water main) are set 4' into the ground. I included a picture of the new jumps (2 doubles and a table-top) before you ride back under the bridge (7' of clearance).
    I saw LOTS of tires tracks from riders trying to ride on the bridge today...kind of disappointing because we still had some loose shingles that got moved around with all of the skidding.... It's just not safe right now, the guardrail isn't complete, and we're talking about an 8' fall if someone screws up! Also, you can't ride either side of the trail, so the guys that went up there just skidded down every time..... It'll be open soon...lets all be patient!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Amelia Earhart Update FYI-climbfromtop.jpg  

Amelia Earhart Update FYI-acrosstop2.jpg  

Amelia Earhart Update FYI-climb.jpg  

Amelia Earhart Update FYI-tunnelfromground.jpg  

Amelia Earhart Update FYI-jumpsbeforetunnel.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    good pics.. ... I have to ride this friday...if anybody wants.. let me know..

TRANCER
    I was actually thinking of maybe going tomorrow or the next day. But i will give you a heads up if Friday is possible
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Another FYI for everyone.... the little fire ant that has plagued Amelia for over a decade may finally be dead for good! Today, I walked the entire 7 mile trail system (some places several times) with a broadcast spreader filled with Amdro. I applied $900.00 worth today alone!!! I covered every single trail...everywhere!! If anyone gets "itchy" or "on fire" or "Stung really bad"....it won't be at Amelia!! Personally, I haven't had an ant bite in over a month (since the last time I did about 3 miles of trail with Amdro).
    The little ant is called wassmannia auropunctata...a real bad little sucker about 0.4-0.7mm in size... Those that have been stung know how bad it is...2 or 3 bites and you're jumping in the lake!
    So, my long sleeves now stay home (unless its cold), and I bid farewell to the little red ant!!!

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by EXPERTRIDER
    Another FYI for everyone.... the little fire ant that has plagued Amelia for over a decade may finally be dead for good! Today, I walked the entire 7 mile trail system (some places several times) with a broadcast spreader filled with Amdro. I applied $900.00 worth today alone!!! I covered every single trail...everywhere!! If anyone gets "itchy" or "on fire" or "Stung really bad"....it won't be at Amelia!! Personally, I haven't had an ant bite in over a month (since the last time I did about 3 miles of trail with Amdro).
    The little ant is called wassmannia auropunctata...a real bad little sucker about 0.4-0.7mm in size... Those that have been stung know how bad it is...2 or 3 bites and you're jumping in the lake!
    So, my long sleeves now stay home (unless its cold), and I bid farewell to the little red ant!!!
    lol funny you mention the lake. last August when i went i was desperate racing towards the exit or a fire road just to jump in the lake. When i finally found the exit, i rode in the lake with my bike and all. I must say the water just made it worst ! At the time i didn't know what it was. i had seen those green and red caterpillars on some leaves and thought it could of been that since i really never saw any ants. It could of been that they were so small i never saw them. And the rash i got was the same i got a few times as a kid after running into those caterpillars. Trully crappy experience
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    ...Biohaz..Yea, those little suckers are bad! They clamp on with their jaws which secrets a very itchy poison, then they sting the crap out of you with their stinger, which is rather painful! The combo of the 2 is just miserable! When it's wet, they get flung up from your tires and stick to your legs...and the stinging begins!!
    They live in the soil, in the vegetation, and in the trees....I had to do some major research on these suckers to find a way to kill them!! UF scientists provided the controlled studies that shows wassmannia ants just LOVE Amdro....and once their dead, they're gone forever!! But Amdro is really expensive!
    It took some clear research and well-documented studies to get the County to spring for $2000.00 worth of Amdro!! I also managed to get another $2000.00 ordered for later this month. My goal is to double-bomb those miserable suckers forever!!
    Enjoy!!

TRANCER
    That is awesome ! I havent been stung again since August before this last one. And i have visited Amelia atleast one to 2 times a week for about a year. Sometimes more, sometimes less. But have not had an encounter ever again with the little f**kers. All the wild life i have been running into lately has been very cool to see actually. Foxes, Bobcats, different turtles, some crazy looking large black iguanas, Racoons and even an Indigo snake which i have not seen down these parts in years since i was a kid. Amelia rocks nowadays
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Monitor lizards!! And they're meat eaters from what I hear!! They grow to some HUGE sizes (4'+!!) THe wildlife has been really cool...lots of families of red cardinals. I told people I've seen Bobcats, no one believes me....now I have a witness!!

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    Seen the bobcat only twice in the past few years. Last year this time was my last encounter. Hope he is still around. I love the Florida Box turtles we have walking around... (specially after a rainy night) we are lucky to have so many roaming the trails, since they have been very close to being part of the "Florida Endangered Animal" list the past 50 yrs. I always stop and get them out of the direct path of the riders in fear that the next rider might hurt them accidentally.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    uhmm am i the only one that has noticed the bunch of huge spiders hanging over the trails?? im talking about the size of ur hand! perhaps its my phobia but i cant help to look for them and blast through the begining of the trail till razor back to avoid a encounter with one lol!

and where exactly is the golden gate bridge? ive gone twice this week, havent seen it.

is there anyone that rides during the week after 4pm? looking for a "slow" group to ride with

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmarrero89
    uhmm am i the only one that has noticed the bunch of huge spiders hanging over the trails?? im talking about the size of ur hand! perhaps its my phobia but i cant help to look for them and blast through the begining of the trail till razor back to avoid a encounter with one lol!

and where exactly is the golden gate bridge? ive gone twice this week, havent seen it.

is there anyone that rides during the week after 4pm? looking for a "slow" group to ride with
    The spiders won't bother you man. Its definately a phobia

I am going to ride tomorrow at about 4 or 5.
    Ride

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmarrero89

Those are Yellow Silk Spiders AKA Banana Spiders. Non venemous, but do sting if they bite. (hurts like a bee sting) wont kill you...

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD_tomato
    Those are Yellow Silk Spiders AKA Banana Spiders. Non venemous, but do sting if they bite. (hurts like a bee sting) wont kill you...
    Not to be confused with the Brazilian Banana Spider which will kill you quick.

I will be there today at around 3:30 - 4 for a couple laps if anyone is going
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    Not to be confused with the Brazilian Banana Spider which will kill you quick.

I will be there today at around 3:30 - 4 for a couple laps if anyone is going
    About 5 o'clock for me

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD_tomato
    I always stop and get them out of the direct path of the riders in fear that the next rider might hurt them accidentally.
    Me too! Love the turtles - have seen the Fox, but not the Bobcat. Saw a few of the banana spiders as well - but they're about 10 feet up so only a hazard to small birds

When is the big 'clean sweep' - October 30th?
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    When will the new bridge be open?
    ROY

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    EXPERTRIDER,

Thanks so much to you and your group for all the hard work you've put into Amelia to make it a great ride lately! I think i've bumped into you about 6-8 times over the past 2-3wks of riding. Once you were mowing, then you were spreading Amdro, another time weed wacking and you asked us what we thought of the trail as we rode by and I yelled "its awesome, great work!" as loud as I could haha. Yesterday I'm pretty sure I saw you working a bulldozer over on the Razorbacks while i failed to make the peak climb on my second lap .

Amelia is quickly becoming my favorite ride because its probably one of the only true XC trails down here since Markham and Oleta are more like massive obstacle courses. Amelia flows and rides so well that it makes it so much fun.

I'll definitely try to get our group together to head out and volunteer at Amelia soon, most of our group has helped at Oleta and Virginia key, can't wait to spruce up Amelia even more!

I check on the bridge progress everytime I'm out at the park and its been great speculating on what the hell you guys were building with all that massive piping, can't wait to ride it when its done! Here are some pics I've been taking over the past few weeks:

For scale I'm 6'2" riding a 19" 29'er

Latest photo from last week:

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast