mtbr member

Amelia Earhart no more?

Just came back from Amelia and they had several bulldozers on the MTB trails!!! Anybody know what's going on? They actually had it roped off but me being so curious I went ahead and took a look...some trails have become unrideable and the bulldozers were knocking stuff down all over the place. Amelia was already in bad shape with tons of overgrowth, bugs, etc..but closing it down would suck really for the South Florida MTB Community?
    You can follow my adventures on twitter @JeffZelaya

TRANCER
    Damn ! That really sucks
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That sucks. I was hoping to go back there when it got cooler.

mtbr member
    Yes, it definitely sucks. It was getting drier and becoming better to ride. I called the park to get details but no answer. Anybody know what's up? I know it was rumored that they were trying to knock it down to build a water park but I don't know how much truth there is in that. Another reason why it's so important for MTB riders to volunteer and help out. The trails at Amelia were getting really overgrown, some parts you had to ride with a machete in order to clear the way.

Anybody have details?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I dont think its closed, seeing as they're doing races in December. They are probably getting rid of non native plants since its a mandate by the state of florida. You will be seeing Bulldozers at Oleta in the coming years as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I hope they bulldoze over the man eating ants also.

Rock Star!!!
    here's the 411... there was a fire there two days ago and they hat to bulldoze and remove a small section of the trail to avoid any further damage the the forest, ..the trail has been re-routed and is open for business as usual. you call them if you have any more concerns.

Amelia Earhart Park (305) 685-8389
    Collaborate,Ride

mtbr member
    Okay! I just got off the phone with the Park office @ Amelia and it looks like there was a fire on the trails over the weekend. Could have been caused by the dry weather we've been having recently. Good news is that the trail is OPEN! But just be careful because they're still taking out some of the burned bushes and junk. I'm planning on going there later this week to inspect what trails might have been affected by this. The CAMP HUMMEL trail was the main one that I saw was unrideable wondering if anything else might have been affected.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by byron
    here's the 411... there was a fire there two days ago and they hat to bulldoze and remove a small section of the trail to avoid any further damage the the forest, ..the trail has been re-routed and is open for business as usual. you call them if you have any more concerns.

Amelia Earhart Park (305) 685-8389
    Dude! You're awesome. When I posted up my response I hadn't looked at yours. Great minds think alike huh. Hope to catch you out there soon so we can ride out.

~J~
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RSANT994
    I hope they bulldoze over the man eating ants also.
    Me too!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Amelia Earhart ...More, yes

I was there on Oct 28th and bent the ear of the park manager. There had been fire in the back and they had to backhoe in to get to the fire. They've also had to let go several employees, so there are only 2-3 people managing the whole park. I guess the a local bike club needs to pitch in, and I'm sure they will.

I really liked the trails, but an odd thing happened because of all the vegetation covering the path. It started out as a an extreme burning sensation on my forearm, and then this burning kind of broke out all over my body where it was exposed. I had a tanktop on, so the burn went onto my chest and stomach. It reminded me of when I got stung by a jelly fish, that's the only thing I can compare it to. The park manager said it was from the Elephant Grass - that, or tree ants, but I couldnt see ANYTHING on my body, which was so weird. Anyway, I jumped into the lake and scrubbed until the burning sensation let down.

If anyone knows what this might of have been, I'd be really interested.

Steve

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail369
    I was there on Oct 28th and bent the ear of the park manager. There had been fire in the back and they had to backhoe in to get to the fire. They've also had to let go several employees, so there are only 2-3 people managing the whole park. I guess the a local bike club needs to pitch in, and I'm sure they will.

I really liked the trails, but an odd thing happened because of all the vegetation covering the path. It started out as a an extreme burning sensation on my forearm, and then this burning kind of broke out all over my body where it was exposed. I had a tanktop on, so the burn went onto my chest and stomach. It reminded me of when I got stung by a jelly fish, that's the only thing I can compare it to. The park manager said it was from the Elephant Grass - that, or tree ants, but I couldnt see ANYTHING on my body, which was so weird. Anyway, I jumped into the lake and scrubbed until the burning sensation let down.

If anyone knows what this might of have been, I'd be really interested.

Steve
    Ive had the same thing at Amelia, they are ants that live on the plants and rub off on the riders when they pass by. they should be gone when the temps get cooler but who knows when that will happen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Thanks for the clarifying (it was ants)

I was thrown off because I couldnt see the ants. They must be very small. That was one of the worst experiences of that kind I've ever had. At least I got it cleared up that wasn't the poor Elephant Grass. I kind of like to look at it when it isnt slapping you in the face.

mtbr member
    I always ride Amelia with a long sleeve shirt preferably with a collar and long pants. I learned my lesson the first time I wiped out in the sand on the "Coffee Trail". I got up and was itching everywhere! I rode to the entrance and sprayed myself down with the hose. Luckily, I had some Icy Hot...I rubbed by body in it, changed shirts and went back to riding. Amelia is always an adventure. Crazy wild life and horse poop on some trails. It needs a good trim and maintenance but it is is an awesome trail with with great features.

Ever done razorback? Steepest drop and incline I seen at any South Florida trail!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Razorback

I didnt get to see Razorback, unfortunately. I'm from Tampa, so I dont know when Ill get back there. Maybe when its cool (no bugs : )

mtbr member
    I noticed there's a race scheduled there in Dec with GoneRiding... was wondering when ppl had said the park had been torn down...

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffzelaya
    Ever done razorback? Steepest drop and incline I seen at any South Florida trail!
    If you are talking about Razorback (Reddick) just north of Ocala, then that place was the greatest ride besides Toe and once Hard Rock. They will be sorely missed. I never could get enough of riding Razorback, Toe, or Hard Rock. What year did you last ride there Jeff? I rode it the last day before it closed in '07. Seems like all the great FL trails are just withering away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiliPepper1
    If you are talking about Razorback (Reddick) just north of Ocala, then that place was the greatest ride besides Toe and once Hard Rock. They will be sorely missed. I never could get enough of riding Razorback, Toe, or Hard Rock. What year did you last ride there Jeff? I rode it the last day before it closed in '07. Seems like all the great FL trails are just withering away.
    Hey Chili! I never rode the trail that you're talking about. I was talking about the Razorback section @ Amelia Earhart park. It's the most challenging section of that part and tough to ride especially with the over growth that gets in the way.

ChiliPepper1
    Hah, thats funny.....LOL

I have never rode at Amelia before, so I was unaware that there was such a trail name. Ooops....my bad! Maybe they named it after Razorback (Reddick), being that Razorback was the toughest and most fun trail in FL besides Toe. Soon I will be making my way down that way to ride Markham, Oleta, QW, and Amelia. Thanks for the correction bro.

BTW, did you ever make it up to the FTF at Alafia? I knew you really wanted to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    your best bet is call to there and get the skivy 305-685-8389

mtbr member
    No bro! I had everything ready to go but the buddy I was going with messed up his ankle and wasn't able to make it with me, so I had to cancel the trip but I will DEFINITELY catch the next one even if I have to go solo.

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffzelaya
    No bro! I had everything ready to go but the buddy I was going with messed up his ankle and wasn't able to make it with me, so I had to cancel the trip but I will DEFINITELY catch the next one even if I have to go solo.
    Man, that is a bummer! Sorry to hear that bro. I quite going to to those a year or so ago, just got to crowded, especially the FTF at Santos. I always work in my yearly week long trip to Santos around the FTF at Santos. This year I will be going before th FTF. Anyways, there is always another one though. I think Santos has the best one though.