Thread: Alafia Rocks!

mtbr member

Alafia Rocks!

I recently relocated to Fort Myers from Golden CO and was quite nervous about my ride options here in the sunshine state. Imagine my pleasant surprise when I rode Alafia River State Park for 2 days this week and was blown away by the diversity of the trails! Granted, there are no sweepings Moab-esque vistas or 4 mile long, gut busting climbs but the twisty, rooty, tight SINGLETRACK more than exceeded my expectations!

Kudos to SWAMP for doing such a great job developing and keeping up the trails! I am a loyal follower and fan of your efforts and have made the transition easier for this Colorado rider!

Alafia Rocks!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1366305205.941107.jpg

Alafia Rocks!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1366305231.224453.jpg

Alafia Rocks!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1366305253.141090.jpg

Alafia Rocks!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1366305275.124468.jpg

Alafia Rocks!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1366305296.107822.jpg

mtbr member
    Alafia is legit! Check out balm boyett right down the street. Ridgeline at boyett is one of the best in the state.

Sweet bike btw!
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Definitely on my "to-ride" list.

yeah, uh............bikes
    Glad to hear you enjoyed the trails, don't forget to make you way to boyette, santos and san felasco too. btw, what kind of a franken-monster are you riding out there??

mtbr member

Alafia Rocks!

Boyette is on the itinerary for my next trip up north and Santos will be a full on biking weekend road trip late this year. I need to make it over to Markham as well since it's a short trip across I-75.

As for the bike, it is a true Franken-bike! Blacksheep ti, rigid, SS, 29er frame with a Carver fat front fork/big front wheel. Tons of fun on the twisty Alafia trails with just enough squish in the front tire to take the edge off of the roots. 32/18 gearing was perfect for the short hills. My front fork on my FS bike blew up earlier the week so I pieced the SS together last minute! Turned out so well I think I'm going to keep it around a while as my main ride!

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Nice Ride @Lactic

Saucy Size Moderator
    I'm facing a maybe-move to Bradenton from AZ in the near future and I confess I'm worried about my post-Arizona riding prospects. Read up on Alafia elsewhere but it's nice to see some pictures!
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member

Alafia Rocks!

Funny. In Scottsdale now for work! No bike unfortunately though. Love South Mountain!

Shoot me a message if you land in FL. Love to get a consistent riding group together and get more involved with the existing clubs/trail groups.

Saucy Size Moderator
    Yeah, that sounds great.

Once you've lived at the base of South Mountain it makes living kind of anywhere else a tough nut to swallow. :-/ The drive to Alafia out of Bradenton doesn't look bad, though. 40ish minutes?
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Hi There!
    If your down south by Markham, give Amelia Earhart Park a try, it is awesome.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I will give credit to Alafia for getting me fully into the sport. We moved here a few months ago from KY and I was in a bike shop talking to the owner when he told me about SWAMP and the Alafia and Santos trails.

Bought a Cannondale F5 to get started and went out to Morris Bridge. Was confused what the fuss was about. Went Alafia and was blown away.

Now I've started doing the SWAMP rides on Tue at Morris Bridge and hitting Alafia every Sun.

Just ordered a '13 Specialized Camber 29er.

Think I'm hooked?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Alafia is great. Love roller coaster!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lactic View Post
    Boyette is on the itinerary for my next trip up north and Santos will be a full on biking weekend road trip late this year. I need to make it over to Markham as well since it's a short trip across I-75.

As for the bike, it is a true Franken-bike! Blacksheep ti, rigid, SS, 29er frame with a Carver fat front fork/big front wheel. Tons of fun on the twisty Alafia trails with just enough squish in the front tire to take the edge off of the roots. 32/18 gearing was perfect for the short hills. My front fork on my FS bike blew up earlier the week so I pieced the SS together last minute! Turned out so well I think I'm going to keep it around a while as my main ride!
    Shoot me a PM when you want to ride, I try to get out to Alva quite often(tough now with all the rain), being from Ft. Myers I'm sure you ride there as well, as its really the only place to ride singletrack without going North to Tampa area or over to Miami.
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd