mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Alafia & Balm Boyette Summer Tires

Hey guys,

This will be my first summer riding at Alafia and Balm Boyette. I'm sure it gets muddy with all the rain. I would appreciate any tire suggestions for a 29er.

Thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    Personally I run either Maxxis Ikons(rear only) or S Works Fast trak year around. currently running fast trak front and back

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Specialized Butcher or Conti Trail kings!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thank you guys for the suggestions. I've ordered the Maxxis Ikons and a pair of S Works Fast Trak.

turtles make me hot
    When I go down and ride those fine trails, I run a Geax Saguaro on the rear and a Specialized Ground Control S Works up front.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I run Specialized Renegade in the back and Specialized Fast Track up front. Love the combo but if you wanted more traction and a little more weight I'd put fast tracks on the back as well.

mtbr member
    I've been running the Saguaros for several years and recently started using the Fast Trak Control 2.2. Both have been very good for Florida trails, year round. I tried the Ground Control 2.25 front and rear, but definitely prefer the faster rolling tires in the back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm currently running Fast Trak 2.1 in front at 35psi and The Captain 2.2 in the back at 40psi.

Felt like i had too much air on both compared to my ladt run at 30/35 psi. But the combination is terrific!

Are you guys tubeless? I'm running tubes.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Running my SS tubed, but the suspension bike is tubeless. If you have tubeless compatible rims, it's worth taking the time to set them up. It can be difficult setting tubeless up initially, but once you've been using it for a while, you'll get the hang of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxis Gamez View Post
    I'm currently running Fast Trak 2.1 in front at 35psi and The Captain 2.2 in the back at 40psi.

Felt like i had too much air on both compared to my ladt run at 30/35 psi. But the combination is terrific!

Are you guys tubeless? I'm running tubes.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Balm dries out pretty decently, Ridgeline is usually closed during rainy season just to prevent damage.

But iv gone out there when the fire road was flooded and the trails in the back were nice and packed.

I'd imagine Alafia gets a little bit muddier - prob a bit more rutted up due to more traffic.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Rode Balm on Saturday and it was a little slicker than I had ridden previously. Ridgeline was closed due the previous day rains. I ride pretty fast with XC tires (Ikon rear / Fast Trak front) and initially had to slow down some, cause I was losing the rear, but adjusting my style made quite a bit of difference and within 30 minutes I was back up to speed. Had to be most careful on wet roots with hitting them straight-on. I guess what I'm getting at, decent XC tires work fine, even when wet and you may not need to change from a "winter/dry" to "summer/wet". Also, some trails like Golf Cart were perfect, wheel others were damp.