rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Advice for 1-2 days of riding in Chattanooga

Heading to Chattanooga the weekend of 11/10 for a sporting event for one of my kids. I hope to have a few hours Saturday and potentially another opportunity Sunday to get out for a ride.

I'm from Asheville, NC, an intermediate to advanced rider, and looking to sample your trails. It looks like Raccoon and Five Points might be the best options.

Questions:
    Any other trail suggestions?
    If you only had time to hit one of these, which one?
    Route suggestions? I'd be looking for a 2-3 hour ride, but could possibly go longer if needed.
    How accessible are they from downtown Chattanooga?

I"m trying to wade through info on MTBR and the SORBA website, but any targeted advice from locals will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Al.
    Hooligan
    I'm from Atlanta but have ridden both - you can't go wrong with either one of those trails.

I'd ride raccoon if I only had one day. We always ride it CCW when we go, and hit all of the extra stuff - chunky, the new live wire downhill, etc. good stuff.

mtbr member
    Both systems are fantastic and you can do them in their entirety in 3 hours. Both are easy to get to from Chattanooga. Raccoon is the more technical system of the two whereas 5 Points is just fast fun. I would ride Raccoon counter clockwise with the exception of Small intestine (although it is fun counter clockwise as well). I ride 5 Points counter clockwise as well with two exceptions. I strongly suggest riding Kettle Bottom clockwise. This is the funnest trail in the system to me. I would also ride Crosscut clockwise as well. Have a great trip!
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the feedback, especially regarding CCW riding of the loop at Raccoon! It's very helpful. I don't see "small intestine" and "live wire" downhill on the trail map. Are these just names that the locals use for the trails? This is the link that I'm looking at: http://www.outdoorchattanooga.com/RM_brochure.pdf

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I also don't see kettle bottom or crosscut on the previously referenced map. Sorry for all the questions, just don't want to miss your best trails.

Al.
    Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by rsa View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, especially regarding CCW riding of the loop at Raccoon! It's very helpful. I don't see "small intestine" and "live wire" downhill on the trail map. Are these just names that the locals use for the trails? This is the link that I'm looking at: http://www.outdoorchattanooga.com/RM_brochure.pdf
    Live wire is a new addition to Raccoon and is not on your map. Its a one way out and back downhill on the east side of the mountain - the start is by switchyard - here's a link to somebody's strava loop with that included - found it on google...

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Raccoon Mtn Loop w Live Wire near Chattanooga | Times and Records | Strava

And here is a better map that includes small intestine

http://www.tva.gov/river/recreation/...untain_map.pdf

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    raccoon =park at bottom of live wire up livewire left to upper chunky across gravel road to lower chunky right toward grindstone ridge right at base of grindstone onto small intestion ride it ccw back to grindstone over to meggawatt ,side trail called six flags back on to meggawat then on to river gorge on to lural point up electric ave. to east over look = east rim trail , back to gravel road and down live wire for a good fun 2-3 hr ride...

5-points... its all fun just ride it i like kettle bottom ccw

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for all of the insight. It looks like it will be hard to get very lost, at least at Raccoon. I'm looking forward to hitting your trails next weekend!

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I appreciate all the great advice, and was able to ride the long CCW loop at Raccoon yesterday. I think I hit almost everything. I missed the Live Wire turn on the way out and didn't have time to loop back. Anyway, you have an awesome trail system. The leaf cover made the twisty parts a little hard to follow at times (especially Small Intestine), though they were packed down fairly well. The trails are in great shape. It was a nice change of pace from Asheville, where we have long ups and long downs. I'm used to settling into my comfort zone on long climbs and controlling the power output. Your trails seem to be twisty and tight, and physically taxing in a different sort of way. My impression is that this requires more explosive efforts to push over the short steeps and over some of the technical parts.

Anyway, I had a great time. I hope to get back again, to hit Raccoon (with Live Wire) and to try 5 points.

mtbr member
    I prefer clockwise...