Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

1x10 for South Fl trails?

I'm thinking of going 1x10 for my current build. Riding mainly Markham, maybe some Virginia Key/ Oleta/ Earhart and even the occasional trip up north.

Anyone currently running 1x10/9 that could chime in with their experience?
    Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm in Orlando. I ride 1x9. Ive ridden Tsali and Santos and all our semi local trails 1x9 with no problems

mtbr member
    1x9 for the past 6 years. I have ridden most of what Florida has to offer and several places along the eastern US without much issue.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input y'all. What chain ring and cassette are you running that your happy with?

XXIX
    Im running sram 10 speed cassette and a E-13 32T guide chain with a mrp x1 chain guide. I ride a lot of central Florida trails and have taken trips to North Carolina and Michigan. I love the set up but the climbs in North Carolina where tough with out the little chain ring. For Florida the 1x10 is perfect.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Running a 1 X 10 in Markham is all you really need. Plenty of single speed bikes ride in there too.
    I have a 3 X 10 myself, but usually only us the middle ring and don't shift a whole lot with the rear, using maybe 3-4 gears out of the 11-36 cassette I have.
    Best thing to do is to ride your current bike and see which gears you actually use the most and go from there. Plenty of factors make gear choice such a personal thing.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorB View Post
    Im running sram 10 speed cassette and a E-13 32T guide chain with a mrp x1 chain guide. I ride a lot of central Florida trails and have taken trips to North Carolina and Michigan. I love the set up but the climbs in North Carolina where tough with out the little chain ring. For Florida the 1x10 is perfect.
    Exactly what I'm thinking.. Thanks GatorB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Running a 1 X 10 in Markham is all you really need. Plenty of single speed bikes ride in there too.
    I have a 3 X 10 myself, but usually only us the middle ring and don't shift a whole lot with the rear, using maybe 3-4 gears out of the 11-36 cassette I have.
    Best thing to do is to ride your current bike and see which gears you actually use the most and go from there. Plenty of factors make gear choice such a personal thing.
    Thanks OscarW. How's fishing lately? I actually run 3x9 on my current bike and I can't remember the last time I used anything outside the middle ring. I've found I really only use a few gears regularly, but I just moved and will be using markham much more often and I just want to be sure that 1x is a good call for my new build.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Butter View Post
    Thanks OscarW. How's fishing lately? I actually run 3x9 on my current bike and I can't remember the last time I used anything outside the middle ring. I've found I really only use a few gears regularly, but I just moved and will be using markham much more often and I just want to be sure that 1x is a good call for my new build.
    Your welcome! Fishing is picking up and I will be gone most of next week!! Finally some sponsors...clients..

I think you will be fine with your 1 by 10 choice. Like I said before it is very personal and I would ride Markham and do all the biggest climbs on your old set-up, noting which combo you're doing well with. What bike are you building??

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    able to tackle all those trails you talked about with a singlespeed. 1x10 shouldn't be a problem

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by reedfe View Post
    able to tackle all those trails you talked about with a singlespeed. 1x10 shouldn't be a problem
    Hardcore dude!!

mtbr member
    I hope to have the ability to run a SS one day, but that day ain't today and tomorrow ain't looking so hot either lol. My mind loves the idea and simplicity of a rigid SS (plus they are mad sexy), but I know my body would probably highly disagree. Between my jaw and knee problems I'm not sure that even if my abilities were up to the task that the rest of me could keep up.

What do you ride Reedfe?

mtbr member
    Your welcome! Fishing is picking up and I will be gone most of next week!! Finally some sponsors...clients..

I think you will be fine with your 1 by 10 choice. Like I said before it is very personal and I would ride Markham and do all the biggest climbs on your old set-up, noting which combo you're doing well with. What bike are you building??
    Very happy for you. Hope my dad starts seeing a construction turn around down there before its to late.

Gonna be building a 650b TRc here pretty soon. Going to be a huge learning experience which honestly I already know so much more than I did before so I'm pretty stoked. You still rocking that Blt?

Edit- Going to pay more mind to gearing that's working well. Thanks again for
    the solid advice.

Thank you! I hope your dad will get more work soon too.

Still love the Blur and I am looking into a 650b conversion when there are more tire/wheel combo's. 2013 will be a big year for that size I think, as several more manufacturers are making 650b bikes...
    Sounds like you're working on a sweet set-up !!

mtbr member
    Yeah I'm really doing a lot of homework on all the bits and pieces. I think the best way to learn is by doing.

I was back and forth about whether to go Bltc or TRc. I think the extra travel would have come in handy, but everyone I asked for advice stated the TRc was a better choice for our area. I guess time will tell, but just out of curiosity do you use all your travel around here?

mtbr member
    As far as the 650b wheels and tires there are some pretty awesome rim choices out even now (have you seen those ENVE's? WOW on the rim and its price tag ). Little harder on the tires, but I think that's going to be changing fairly shortly as well. I'm thinking neo motos for now, but we will see. I am just to short for the 29ers. The Santa Cruz frames are all supposed to make great conversions so hop on the bandwagon with me OscarW! :thumbs up:

Rodizio
    Jul 2011
    I ride a 1x9 on all South Florida trails. I've used the same setup in other areas of Florida as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I run 1x10 on both of my bikes. 32 on the all-mountain bike and 36 on the XC bike. Never had a need for anything lower here in Florida.

When I go to NC i put the 26-39 back on the front for the climbs.

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    I hope to have the ability to run a SS one day, but that day ain't today and tomorrow ain't looking so hot either lol. My mind loves the idea and simplicity of a rigid SS (plus they are mad sexy), but I know my body would probably highly disagree. Between my jaw and knee problems I'm not sure that even if my abilities were up to the task that the rest of me could keep up.

What do you ride Reedfe?
    I'm on a Specialized Hardrock 29er that I converted to SS. I'm currently on a 32x20 ratio and once I build up a little more skill/strength I'm going to 32x18. I was riding those trails with the gears on but I realized that I didn't really need to shift to go up most of those hills. It's really rewarding to get up some of those hills when your geared friends can't get up them. I don't see myself going back to gears unless I move to somewhere very very mountainous. I actually started mountain biking this past year to train for tennis because I couldn't run long distances because of my bad knee. Biking doesn't hurt my knees, but my back is a different story!

Yeah I'm really doing a lot of homework on all the bits and pieces. I think the best way to learn is by doing.

I was back and forth about whether to go Bltc or TRc. I think the extra travel would have come in handy, but everyone I asked for advice stated the TRc was a better choice for our area. I guess time will tell, but just out of curiosity do you use all your travel around here?
    Either bike will work well IMHO. Since I am 6'2" 210# I like the plushness of the extra travel. I had an Epic 29 for a while too, but didn't like the harsher ride. The bike was fine but not for me. My lower back demanded a softer ride. 30 years at sea on boats you know..

As far as the 650b wheels and tires there are some pretty awesome rim choices out even now (have you seen those ENVE's? WOW on the rim and its price tag ). Little harder on the tires, but I think that's going to be changing fairly shortly as well. I'm thinking neo motos for now, but we will see. I am just to short for the 29ers. The Santa Cruz frames are all supposed to make great conversions so hop on the bandwagon with me OscarW! :thumbs up:
    Those Enve's are really nice but the price tag keeps them out of my reach. I will eventually wear out my Mavics and then will look into the 650b rims. You're right about SC's bike as they seem to convert very well to the larger 650b. I think that this size is ideal for those who want the best of both worlds size wise.
    I did see a 12 year old riding a small frame 29r during the race yesterday, and he was FAST!!
    I'd like to see your set-up once you have built it !

mtbr member
    I want to go 1x on my ride, but need advice. I always stay in the current middle ring of my stock shimano octalink 3x9. What is the best way to do this conversion, and what will I need to do it? Thanks in advance for all your help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post
    I want to go 1x on my ride, but need advice. I always stay in the current middle ring of my stock shimano octalink 3x9. What is the best way to do this conversion, and what will I need to do it? Thanks in advance for all your help.
    All you need to do is take off the small and large chain rings, and by a chain guard system.

I use a N-stop for the inside and a BBG chain ring guard to take the place of the outside ring. Never had any issues and love it!

When you take off your front derailleur don't disconnect the cable. So if you ever want to put the little ring back up for a ultra ride or something you just remove the N-stop, screw on the front Derailluer, screw on the small ring and slide on the shifter. No adjustments needed

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

mtbr member
    KyleLions35, thanks for the advice. Seems easy enough. I need to get some of the parts, so hopefuly I can try this soon.

mtbr member
    I'm on a Specialized Hardrock 29er that I converted to SS. I'm currently on a 32x20 ratio and once I build up a little more skill/strength I'm going to 32x18. I was riding those trails with the gears on but I realized that I didn't really need to shift to go up most of those hills. It's really rewarding to get up some of those hills when your geared friends can't get up them. I don't see myself going back to gears unless I move to somewhere very very mountainous. I actually started mountain biking this past year to train for tennis because I couldn't run long distances because of my bad knee. Biking doesn't hurt my knees, but my back is a different story!
    Time for a fully my friend

mtbr member
    Either bike will work well IMHO. Since I am 6'2" 210# I like the plushness of the extra travel. I had an Epic 29 for a while too, but didn't like the harsher ride. The bike was fine but not for me. My lower back demanded a softer ride. 30 years at sea on boats you know..

Those Enve's are really nice but the price tag keeps them out of my reach. I will eventually wear out my Mavics and then will look into the 650b rims. You're right about SC's bike as they seem to convert very well to the larger 650b. I think that this size is ideal for those who want the best of both worlds size wise.
    I did see a 12 year old riding a small frame 29r during the race yesterday, and he was FAST!!
    I'd like to see your set-up once you have built it !
    6'2" and you haven't moved to the 29er dark side? I didn't know there was any of you left! Lol. I hope I made the right call on the frame. At 5'5" I am on the other side of things wanting to make sure I'm not over biked since I'm not very tall.

I plan on doing a build post when I get all the parts in. And no doubt those ENVE's are waaaay beyond my reach as well, but looking is free! Just brought them up to point out there's really nice rims out even if I can only afford to look at them ha!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast