mtbr member

1x10 gearing for Georgia /SC

I heading up to Georgia /South Carolina for a 3 day MTB trip and I'm looking for gearing recommendations for the trip. I run 34t with 11-36 cassette for Florida. We are planning on riding
    FATS,Ellijay,Blankets Creek and whatever else we can find.
    Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    May 2007
    you will be fine. depending on where you go in ellijay, you might be wishing for a smaller front ring, but that depends on your fitness. fats and blankets could be done on a single speed by most riders. in ellijay, you actually have extended climbing that can hurt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    agree... geared ok for blankets dwelling loop. but you'll need a bit more gear for van micheal loop... its got some steep climbs. id go lower crank for bear creek also...
    never been to fats but its on my to do list...

Crash test dummy
    Yes I concur with the others Dwelling you will be fine in blankets. How ever on Van micheal you better be in shape. Because you do have to work

mtbr member

I may look at 30t wolftooth direct mount then.
    Thanks

mtbr member

Or would a32t be better?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    32 should be fine. I ride everything around in a 32x20 SS, but would probably add gears or a couple more teeth for ellijay area. Pinhotti has some extended climbs like driftertom said. I have ridden FATS on a FS geared bike, before the SS. Its a great system with miles of trails. I would love to go back with the SS. Enjoy your riding. We have had about a week with no rain, so probably the driest the trails have been in a while, but they may still have some stick/slop to them.

Sent you a PM with my garmin from FATS, should give you an idea.
    Independent Fabrications Steel Deluxe 29 SS
    Salsa El Mariachi Steel SS

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'd go 30 but I also weigh 300 pounds so I'd also have a granny gear.

mtbr member
    Florida rider on a 1x10 here as well. FATS is easily doable on a 1x10 (I'm running a 32 front - 11x36 rear on a 29er). The trails in Ellijay and Blue Ridge are on a different level, though. Our group has done numerous trips to N GA over the years, and I suffered enough with a granny ring. The 1x10 in N GA wasn't enough for me on the steepest, longest climbs, but I'm not too proud to walk a bit. A lighter, fitter rider would probably be fine. The climb out from the river at the bottom of Ft Mountain State Park just about destroyed me physically and mentally. FATS is an absolute blast for fast, fun and flowing trails. Incredible amount of downhill for the amount of climbing involved. They've done an excellent job of using the topography to get the most out of the terrain. I would at least swap a 32 for the 34 for the N GA trails, if not the 30 tooth (Race Face also makes one of these in their new Narrow/Wide single rings). I'm running a 32 with a SRAM X9 clutch derailleur and it's been flawless through the rough with no chain guide.

mtbr member

To err on the safe side I ordered the WT 30t direct mount. Thanks for everyone's input.
    I'll be up there on the 26th.

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Qfactor03 View Post
    The climb out from the river at the bottom of Ft Mountain State Park just about destroyed me physically and mentally.
    Rode Fort Mtn for the first time this summer. Awesome first half of the trail and great flow, but LOTS of hike a bike on the climb out. Of course, I was on a 45lb freeride bike so I knew I'd be suffering on the climbs. Awesome scenery, saw two bears right off the road too.
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

mtbr member
    Only place on your list that might be tough is Ellijay, no matter the gearing, especially if you're riding P1/2/3 or climbing Bear Creek. Not crazy steep (maybe parts) but go on for a ways. Prepare to find your happy place and crank it out

Blankets will be no prob, steep/short stuff you can grunt up n over. I can bike there from my garage door and it puts a smile on my face every time. Enjoy your trip.