mtbr member

12 hours of Santos

I just entered 12 hours of Santos, and plan to do a few rides there before Feb 16. I've only ridden the trails from the Santos trailhead out to the landbridge and back a couple of times a year ago.
    I have no idea what loop or areas the actual event uses. Is there a race map, or can anyone point me to the trails or loops that I should spend time on when I'm out there?

THANKS!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think the actual course changes every year and they don't post it prior to the event ,someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Typically it's in the Vortex section consisting of dogbone, twister, vortex loop etc.

mtbr member
    Thanks , I figured it would change each year. I just wanted to get some time in on what will make up most of the course and not waste time in areas that are no part of the event. Sounds like if I just ride that whole vortex area including the 'red' and 'blue' trails on the map, dogbone, twister, then I'll be in the right area.

I appreciate the info.

Sent from my droid tablet using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Yep. It's basically everything at the vortex trailhead. Vortex reds, twister, and the yellow pound puppy trail. We went down there last weekend and basically did laps of the vortex reds. It was a good training ride.

I'm doing the six hour solo on the SS. What did you sign up for?
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    I'm in the 12 hour,

I did go out this Sunday and rode loops of Dogbone and Twister for a couple hours. Going to try to get back out there this weekend for the Vortex area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm thinking of making a trip down to see my parents in Feb... was going to bring my bike and check out this trail system. Is there any web site (other than here) that I might be able to get hooked up with a team to participate in this? I'm from Ontario and have not rode in FL before- Or is there any other event that is going on in the Orlando area in Feb? (Only ask as the flights for that weekend are expensive due to being a long weekend for us Canadians)

Thx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbowman View Post
    I'm thinking of making a trip down to see my parents in Feb... was going to bring my bike and check out this trail system. Is there any web site (other than here) that I might be able to get hooked up with a team to participate in this? I'm from Ontario and have not rode in FL before- Or is there any other event that is going on in the Orlando area in Feb? (Only ask as the flights for that weekend are expensive due to being a long weekend for us Canadians)

Thx
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member

Thx
    I don't really know of any websites to help with that, but I'd agree with Possom, just enter and ride if you want to race. Or post a separate thread to see if you can put together a team.

TGIF! Ready to get back out to the Vortex, Twister, Dogbone trails tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Still sitting on the fence about making the trip down for this... What are the trails like? What would the the ideal bike for these trails be... trying to decide which one I should bring... 26 HT or 29 FS

mtbr member
    Still sitting on the fence about making the trip down for this... What are the trails like? What would the the ideal bike for these trails be... trying to decide which one I should bring... 26 HT or 29 FS
    I raced it for the first time last year and had a blast. While i wouldn't travel there to ride it for fun, it is a fun race course. Different than what i am used to riding (middle and N GA).

It has two distinct sections. Half of it is flat and fast and the other is technical. The start/finish is in the middle of the tech section, so you start out doing a few miles of quick ups and downs and rocks, then it is flat and winds through the trees for about five miles before getting back to tech section and to the finish.

I did it on a 29er HT just fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    @mbowman - Check out Ocala Mountain Bike Association. They have maps.

A couple of other clubs with trails to check out ...
    Swamp Mountain Bike Club
    Flager Area Biking Chapter of Southern Off-Road Bicycle Association