My Matt Chester

5K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  cocheese 
#1 · (Edited)
My Matt Chester [lots o' pics]

First ride build 18 months ago

See less See more
#10 ·
cool bike

Interesting design. It looks like a 20" front with a 17" rear. I'm guessing that makes it laterally stiffer + lighter, with more standover than a more traditional 19" or 20". I'm also assuming that Matt's bikes are custom built for the individual customer rather than "off the shelf"?

Those cranks look long. Long legs, personal preference, or is it a single speed thing?

I like how the transparent fender changes from clear to "mud".

Cool bike. Some day when I have the spare $ I'll get a ti bike, but for now they're unobtainium.

#12 ·
The tall head tube is for the dropbars... [o]

... so I do not need to use a high rise stem. It is 5 cm longer than my 20" Rocky Mountain plus the Chester was designed for a 100 mm fork rather than a 60 mm (or less) so it is even farther off the ground.

The seat tube measures 15.5" c-t. I use a 410 or 425 mm seat post. The extreme slope of the top tube is to gain standover (actually 1/2" higher at midpoint than my Rocky) and so the handlebar end can not hit the TT.

I use 190 mm cranks. Like them long and it fits the SS riding style. The BB height is 13" for pedal clearance. This also raises the standover.

Every bike Matt makes is custom. Now he only does 700c/29" wheel singlespeeds.

#13 ·
The drop-bars... of course

I didn't even think of the bars, but of course!

Yeah, I really like the radical sloping tube (for the function aspect - the look I could take or leave). I've always been partial to Rocky and Kona hardtails for that precise reason.

#14 ·
Shiggy,

Those are great photos.

Just curious but why does Matt Chester only do 29ers now?

Oh yeah and what brand of helmet is that gree one you are wearing??

I recognized the checkered one as a Bell, but who makes that green one?

And 190mm crank arms! Holy Crap! Are they hard to find in that length?

#15 ·
Anwsers

CTRider said:
Shiggy,

Those are great photos.

Just curious but why does Matt Chester only do 29ers now?

Oh yeah and what brand of helmet is that gree one you are wearing??

I recognized the checkered one as a Bell, but who makes that green one?

And 190mm crank arms! Holy Crap! Are they hard to find in that length?
Check Matt's website for his reasons. He is a one-man shop and has a pretty full order book much of the time.

My helmet is a white Bell X Ray. I did the green checkerboard myself using adhesive sign vinyl.

The 190 mm cranks are a stock item from Profile Racing. There are a couple of places that will make custom lengths (can not remember who right now).

#17 ·
Mine is the one and only

Wilco said:
One little thing stands out though: he doesn't build for discs yet your (shiggy) bike has a rear disc. Did he have a change of heart or is yours a retro-fit?
There is not a disc mount on the frame. Just a tab for the torque arm for an OEM version of the Paul Disc Unit. The Disc Unit is attached to the axle of a Paul WORD Disc hub. The aftermarket Disc Unit uses a longer arm to the canti boss so almost any bike can run a disc.

No change of heart. No retrofit. Just a one-off. I had to work out a few bugs myself.

#18 ·
shiggy©®™ said:
Check Matt's website for his reasons. He is a one-man shop and has a pretty full order book much of the time.

My helmet is a white Bell X Ray. I did the green checkerboard myself using adhesive sign vinyl.

The 190 mm cranks are a stock item from Profile Racing. There are a couple of places that will make custom lengths (can not remember who right now).
Yep Yep on the X Ray but what about that other brain bucket you have on in some of the photos - the greenish metallic one? Never saw a lid like that before I don't think. It's kinda cool.

#19 ·
Ahh! The Giro Semi...

CTRider said:
Yep Yep on the X Ray but what about that other brain bucket you have on in some of the photos - the greenish metallic one? Never saw a lid like that before I don't think. It's kinda cool.
... with extra vent holes. Did the new vents myself with a Dremel and a drywall bit. Think I voided the warranty?

#22 ·
Best fitting helmet I own

CTRider said:
LOL!

No wonder why I didn't recognize it! Is it comfortable? I've seen them being blown out for like $15!
I like the extra coverage on the side and back. That is why it fits better, too. Most helmets today - even the Giro Xen (which I was told was "based" on the Semi) are cut so high that they REQUIRE a head clamp system for them to stay on your head. The Semi does not have one and it does not need one. With the straps undone I can bend over and shake my head and the Semi stays on. No head clamp helps keep the cost down, too.Even at full retail they are only $60-80. A far cry from the $180 Xen.

#23 ·
shiggy©®™ said:

It looks you're wearing a Giro Semi in a couple of the pictures. My son has one of those.

#26 ·
Another "normal" UTE owner!

To be honest Shiggy, you are in the minority! :D

My UTE has been re-fitted with Jones H-bars (custom angle) Kinesis rigid forks and DT Swiss / Surly wheels.......all in black or silver/Ti.

The pictures I took indoors didn't come out too well (but the ones of Becca's Bontrager did :confused: ), but I'm hoping that the ride photos are better when I get them developed...Stay tuned!

Later

Alex / SSP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.