Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

RFX! (warning: large bandwidth)

6K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Bikezilla 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Thanks, and some info on the frame...

The frame is a 2002 setup with 5" front and rear since I occasionally take it on longer rides that require climbing. The frame size is officially an 18", which Turner measures as center of the bottom bracket to top of the seat tube mast. I'm 5' 10" with 32-inch inseams and the bike fits me pretty well as configured.

#6 ·
vicarvizu said:
Dope A$$ Ride. Try the Romic you will like it much better.
Indecision has left me with the default Fox shock for now (which I don't mind really). I've been looking at the Romic as well as the Avy... and now there's talk of rebuilding the Fox to perform even better than the Romic. I do like the Romic-equipped bikes that I've ridden, though.

#9 ·
terminaut said:
Interesting... I had heard about some of the reliability issues with the Romic shock. What happened to yours?

Nice rig!
What! I thought you were paying attention?
Okay, here it is again....

Had been riding with my five inch set up. Switched out my rear spring, +100lbs, rockers, and installed a new Z150. Got in two rides when I noticed the downtube oil slick and the wet compression knob. Called for the "must have been one of the 200 from the bad batch" RA, and still waiting.

Decided on a new hardtail over a backup shock(Vanilla with ProPedal is sounding good). Running the fork at 100mm to emulate the RFX so I don't forget. Too bad my disc set for the hardtail became someone's christmas gift for her new Burner that didn't show up with canti bosses as promised, she's hooked now.

Eric/Airwreck/Earache

#10 ·
earache said:
What! I thought you were paying attention?
Okay, here it is again....

Eric/Airwreck/Earache
Ahhh... I didn't make the connection. I do sort of remember seeing your post in Downhill (as Airwreck) but I come across so many Turners that I lose track of which's which.

Good call - a hardtail is better than a spare shock anyday! :)

#11 ·
terminaut said:
Good call - a hardtail is better than a spare shock anyday! :)
Ummmm, let's see, that would make four hardtails in the garage now....
logic would suggest spare shocks are better than spare hardtails, especially since my RFX has two sets of rockers, three sets of wheels, three different forks.

BTW, the SO is trying hard to resist the curiosity of running a Romic on her new Burner, eventually I think the boys will have to cave in and figure something out, or I'll be doing the homemade rocker fab myself....

#12 ·
Why fab?

earache said:
...the SO is trying hard to resist the curiosity of running a Romic on her new Burner, eventually I think the boys will have to cave in and figure something out, or I'll be doing the homemade rocker fab myself....
Any 1.5" stroke, 6.5" eye to eye shock will bolt right on there as is. No need to go crazy with bar stock and a dremel. It would give her the same travel, just a different "feel". Is that what you are after?

tscheezy

#13 ·
#14 ·
Bikezilla said:
They said it'd be a 2-day in-house turnaround, but I sent it rather close to the holiday. All told with ground shipping about 2 weeks, I think. I lost track since most of my bike's components have been traveling and visiting family for the holidays.

Details at the end of this thread:

http://forums13.consumerreview.com/crforum?viewall@221.IVxKaBtV4y6.10300393@.efe2f3f
Okay, now I'm starting to worry, mine went out before yours I think and they said they would air it back.

#15 ·
They said they'd air mine too...y'know send it the same way it arrived. It came back via UPS ground. The receptionist suggested that I should have included a note to remind them of the return method...now they tell me? No biggie for me...Like I said most of my bike is on vacation anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.