Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fuel paint problems

8K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  ride_like_u_stole_it 
#1 ·
has anyone had any problems with the paint on their fuels flaking off? i'm fine with scratches and dings, heck i think a bike looks better when used, but after a post ride checkup yesterday i noticed paint coming off in chunks on my rear swing arm around the derailleur hanger and the other wheel notch.

any help would be appreciated

#2 ·
It looks like it's a systemic and ongoing problem w/Trek. See my thread on my "Spreck" under this forum section.

FuelFan90 said:
has anyone had any problems with the paint on their fuels flaking off? i'm fine with scratches and dings, heck i think a bike looks better when used, but after a post ride checkup yesterday i noticed paint coming off in chunks on my rear swing arm around the derailleur hanger and the other wheel notch.

any help would be appreciated

#3 ·
Hmmmm...have had no problems with my Fuel paintjob....it occasionally gets scratched/chipped, but stays at that, gets no worse...maybe it depends on the paint/Fuel model in question... I have the matte black and paint's holding up as well as could be expected for the "use" it gets. (heh...I've found that a black Sharpie permanent marker "touches up" such battlescars just right - takes the gleam away from the bare aluminium but doesn't attract attention like a glob of paint would...fwiw...)

#4 ·
Hmm. . . . That's certainly not good. Have you talked to a Trek dealer about it?

I've had my Fuel for almost three years now, and the only spot I have any paint coming off is on the chainstay hidden right behind the crank. It looks like it was probably a chainsuck issue before I replace the cranks.

How severe is your paint problem? Is it a large patch or fairly small right now?

#7 ·
FuelFan90 said:
the paint's pretty bad where it's coming of the rear triangle. its just the very ends but the flakes (which haven't come off yet) are as big as the end of my thumb. i'm probably gonna take it in after the first of the year.
I don't think this would be a problem, but has it taken any hits where the paint is flaking?

I don't remember what type of process Trek used for painting their frames, but I wonder if that is part of the problem. What year is your Fuel?

#6 ·
it's a 2003 fuel 90 and the only other person i know that has one hasn't had the problem. i don't think it's taken any hits directly to where it's flaking. the places that have really been scratched and dinged have held up fine. i've been really impressed with this bike as well as the gary fisher i have and the paint thing on the fuel is the only prob i've had.

#8 ·
FuelFan90 said:
it's a 2003 fuel 90 and the only other person i know that has one hasn't had the problem. i've been really impressed with this bike as well as the gary fisher i have and the paint thing on the fuel is the only prob i've had.
Yeah, if it's a 2003, I would definitely take it to the shop to have them look at it. They might be able to get Trek to replace the swingarm. Of course, I imagine you would be without the bike for a while to allow them to send it into Trek.

I've got the 2001 with the disc brakes and have been tremendously happy with it. I've had a bit of problems with brake noise and vibration from the back, but the shop has been able to keep the brake adjusted to avoid it most of the time. :rolleyes: Still, I'm going to dump at least the rear disc to go with rim brakes just so it doesn't have to keep getting adjusted (I know there's a fix I could get, but I have a pair of Mavic Crosslinks from my old hardtail that I want to use on the Fuel).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.