Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pantera

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  googs185 
#1 ·
What is the difference in the ride of a pantera with the romic shock vs. the fox or fifth element. How does a five inch travel fork affect the riding also besides the fact it changes head angle? Can the bike take 3-4 ft. drops? good trailbike?

#2 ·
googs185 said:
What is the difference in the ride of a pantera with the romic shock vs. the fox or fifth element. How does a five inch travel fork affect the riding also besides the fact it changes head angle? Can the bike take 3-4 ft. drops? good trailbike?
I don't know of anyone who's put a 5th Element on the Pantera yet. I've ridden the 5th on other bikes though and prefer the Romic. It's easier to set up, more reliable, and feels more active to me. The new Fox ProPedal Float is pretty dang nice for an air shock, not nearly as much gap between that and the Romic as there used to be with the older Float. I've been impressed with it so far. But, I still like the Romic best, it just has a smoother feel to it on both small and big hits and can be custom tuned to fit your riding style precisely. I know lots of people running 5" forks on the Pantera, it works fine on there. Slows down the handling a hair, but it's a good setup if you're doing aggressive XC and some drops. The Pantera is an excellent all-around trail bike. Very stiff and strong, can easily handle 3-4ft drops (or larger). Best 4" single-pivot on the market IMO.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

#3 ·
I'm close to purchasing a Pantera and had a question about the Fox vs. Romic shocks.

I'm thinking of putting a 100 mm Duke SL air fork on the bike initially. Eventually, I'd like to go with a Talas. Would you still go with the Romic or would the Fox be better with an air fork on the front?

Thanks,
LeonD

#4 ·
LeonD said:
I'm close to purchasing a Pantera and had a question about the Fox vs. Romic shocks.

I'm thinking of putting a 100 mm Duke SL air fork on the bike initially. Eventually, I'd like to go with a Talas. Would you still go with the Romic or would the Fox be better with an air fork on the front?

Thanks,
LeonD
I would still go with the romic. I know many people who go with an air shock up front and a coil in the back. My father is getting an el salt, and he's getting the talas air up front and the romic in the back. The romic is really tuneable and has a nicer feel, depending on whether you are coming from an air shock or coil on your previous bike. I'd go with the romic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.